Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Catted X Pipe or Not???

Old 08-12-2012, 10:29 PM
Thundercloud

Default Catted X Pipe or Not???

Getting ready to buy Headers and X pipe from American Racing Headers. My question is since the car only has 4k miles on it, and a lot of warranty left.

Would you go with a Catted X or Without?? I do not have to worry about emissions inspections in the county I live in, at least not at this time anyway.

Would love to do the Ghost Cam tune, but also hate to void the warranty on a brand new car.

Looking for opinions of those who have done it either way.

Thanks in Advance Guys!!
Old 08-13-2012, 01:31 PM
Thundercloud

114 views and no advise from anyone?? Come on I know there are a bunch of you out there that have done this mod. Just looking for the pros and cons of both.

Thanks again in Advance!!
Old 08-13-2012, 01:40 PM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

Only reason i got a catted x pipe from BBK is because of the emissions standards in my state, which i think is bull**** might i add. The tone and aggresiveness of an off road x pipe cant be beat, and if i didnt live in an emissions controlled state, i would have BBK longtubes and an offroad shorty x pipe. If you dont have to pass emissions, why run a catted setup?
Old 08-13-2012, 02:29 PM
kingGingy5.0
1st Gear Member

If your worried about keeping your warranty, long tube headers are gonna make it tough to get work done under warranty

As far as the catted x pipe....save your money...go with out
Old 08-13-2012, 04:28 PM
scottmach
3rd Gear Member

Headers require a tune so there goes your warranty anyways.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:16 PM
Thrashard340
2nd Gear Member

Not 100% sure, but I think long tubes will require O/R style X-pipe.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:07 PM
Thundercloud

Well American Racing Headers sell the kit with LT's and either a catted or no cats X pipe. about $100 cheaper without.

I already have gotten the tunes for them from BAMA, without the Ghost Cam. Not sure about that. But figured the No Cats set up would breath better, and hopefully produce a little extra HP??

They are saying the LT's with the catted X pipe on a otherwise totally stock car produced an additional 32 rwhp through stock mufflers. So with a CAI, Race Tune, and full exhaust they are saying i could expect to see between 40-50 rwhp.

Now this isn't my first go fast car, so not sure I totally believe all that, but mainly looking for some more power and nice roar!!
Old 08-14-2012, 08:03 AM
CrzyHrs
2nd Gear Member

Like Scottmach stated, headers require a tune. I personally went with an o/r x-pipe with my kooks long tubes. Once you tune the car, your warranty is shot, might as well go no cats.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:18 AM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

yep, if you don't have testing where you are at off-road is the way to go. cheaper and more power (5-10hp).
Old 08-14-2012, 02:45 PM
12GTPDX

If you're in a state without emissions testing, then go without the 'hi flo' cats. (In fact, since hi-flo's primarily only work to eliminate the smell of unburnt gas, you still can't pass emissions testing with 'em unless they only do a visual inspection for cats.)

And with respect to having to have a tune with headers, that's only so you can turn off the rear O2 sensors to keep the ECU from throwing a code. If you can live with the code, you could even do without a tune (but why would you want a code always showing?)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Catted X Pipe or Not???