Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

My rant about Cold Air Induction aftermarket vs stock.

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 01:31 PM
tj@steeda
3rd Gear Member

I have attached a dyno sheet that was a test we did about a year and a half ago of the stock airbox vs the cold air.

On this test the car was loaded with a basic tune with no cam timing changes just so we could have a higher rev limiter that way we could rev the engine to the same RPM with both intakes without running into a limiter. Ignition timing was the same for both tunes.

The results show a “peak” gain of only 5 horsepower, but there is a lot more there if you read the dyno sheet. Gains started at about 4,500, with gains of 6 to 9 horsepower between 4,500 and 5,000. Between 5,300 and 6,100 gains were 7 to 10 horsepower. And between 6,700 and 7,200 the gains were an impressive 12 to 15 horsepower. So you can see measureable gains from a cold air intake.

Let me talk to Gus and see if we had recorded temperatures and what not.

Old 08-22-2012, 07:42 PM
Rob72
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
what about moving? That's what he wants to know.
Once I opened the hood it took about 15 seconds to drop. Racing the 1/4 in 12/13 seconds, maybe it will cool down sooner. Maybe not. It builds up a lot of heat driving from the staging lanes then waiting for the tree.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:21 PM
AZAlloy
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by tj@steeda
I have attached a dyno sheet that was a test we did about a year and a half ago of the stock airbox vs the cold air.

On this test the car was loaded with a basic tune with no cam timing changes just so we could have a higher rev limiter that way we could rev the engine to the same RPM with both intakes without running into a limiter. Ignition timing was the same for both tunes.

The results show a “peak” gain of only 5 horsepower, but there is a lot more there if you read the dyno sheet. Gains started at about 4,500, with gains of 6 to 9 horsepower between 4,500 and 5,000. Between 5,300 and 6,100 gains were 7 to 10 horsepower. And between 6,700 and 7,200 the gains were an impressive 12 to 15 horsepower. So you can see measureable gains from a cold air intake.

Let me talk to Gus and see if we had recorded temperatures and what not.

This is again good info, but not what I am looking for. I understand on a dyno in controlled conditions with the hood open the aftermarket unit will perform better since its larger and has more open element.

But it seems to me I could probably get close if not the same results by simply opening the factory air box on the dyno while the hood is up and let the stock plumbing breath a lot more. Obviously, this won't work with the hood down, and the results will change. I want to know what changes when you close the hood with the aftermarket unit compared to the stock.

In my mind, the most ideal setup would be a filter mounted outside of the engine compartment that draws only fresh air. The plumbing to the engine would then be constructed of low density material such as a plastic, to reduce heat soak. Maybe even tubing that is double walled like a heat shield. I think that would be a great setup.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:12 PM
lobo_louie

This reminds me of a series tests one of the mainstream car magazines did years ago. I think it was Car & Driver and it was with a stock Civic and one with typical bolts ones.

One test was multiple 1/4 miles runs back to back with minimal rest and the hoods were not opened in between. I think the Civic with the CAI had a faster first run, but heat soak got to it really fast. The stock Civic was faster at the last test. Again this is all from memory so I could be totally wrong.

I'm highly skeptical that in real world conditions CAIs have any major increases in performance. Until I see data from a test like the one I described above I'm going to save my money.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:27 AM
flash gordon
2nd Gear Member

Dyno is one thing, actual 1/4 run results are another thing. I seriously doubt one will see any difference in the time sheets. Just like you probably will not see any difference comparing the 2012 and 2013 1/4 run with the 8hp difference.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:34 PM
blueboosted95
2nd Gear Member

azalloy you post a very good point! Ive never believed in aftermarket cai and tunes. I have a 13 gt and i am leaving my factory air box and filter where it is. If you want better power. Add some psi... Ive had 600 hp mustangs. yeah they pull hard but all they do is spin. If you want better track #s do suspension stickys etc...
Old 08-24-2012, 08:56 PM
lobo_louie

Originally Posted by blueboosted95
azalloy you post a very good point! Ive never believed in aftermarket cai and tunes. I have a 13 gt and i am leaving my factory air box and filter where it is. If you want better power. Add some psi... Ive had 600 hp mustangs. yeah they pull hard but all they do is spin. If you want better track #s do suspension stickys etc...
I think a tune can help with a lot. Besides increased HP a new throttle mapping and shift points are big changes. I just don't see how a CAI actually brings in more cold air compared to a stock air box in any real world conditions.
Old 08-25-2012, 01:45 AM
AZAlloy
3rd Gear Member

I can see making the piping bigger to pull in more air. As long as its quality air.

I like how Steeda has posted up here. I would love to here from the actual tuners too. Also would love to hear from Airaid. They also look like they have a solid design.
Old 08-25-2012, 06:16 AM
audioAl
4th Gear Member

AEM dry filter? I'll google that,Thanks!
Old 08-25-2012, 02:13 PM
Norse1974
3rd Gear Member

Please correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't this be resolved by just uploading a 91-93 octane tune w/factory air box on the car, do a dyno run then put the C.A.I. of your choice on & dyno again????? Then you would have before & after dyno runs w/just a tune done which everyone agreed that a tune is essential.

Quick Reply: My rant about Cold Air Induction aftermarket vs stock.