Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

My rant about Cold Air Induction aftermarket vs stock.

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 08:22 AM
a_lopez1975
4th Gear Member

@AzAlloy: Dropped in again to see if there were any results (whether good or bad)... What about hood vents?? As mentioned, you brought up a good topic with valid points and wanted to see your view on the question posed for my own learning. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks...
Old 08-27-2012, 04:19 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

Originally Posted by AZAlloy
In my mind, the most ideal setup would be a filter mounted outside of the engine compartment that draws only fresh air. The plumbing to the engine would then be constructed of low density material such as a plastic, to reduce heat soak. Maybe even tubing that is double walled like a heat shield. I think that would be a great setup.
You wouldn't be the first person to think of this, I've seen some images of guys who have cut holes and put the intake outside of the engine bay.. pretty clueless people there. I tried finding those but no luck.

Just monitor your AIT's, watch it (or have someone watch it) as you are moving... I'm not sure why you are so obsessed about the box and open dyno tests and all that junk..Dynos are useless tuning tools anyway, real proof is in the 1/4 mile times and I haven't seen anyone beat the fastest guys with CAIs with the stock air box still. just 748cfm on the stock box vs 1000+ on aftermarket. You mostly notice the restriction once you mod the exhaust too.

so.... if you are still worried about under hood temps just watch your AITs, i've never heard of anyone seeing a noticeable difference without a supercharger or turbocharger. your airbox's location or lack thereof isn't doing much to change it, air comes in from the outside while you are driving, and the faster you are going the more is coming in, your engine compartment is mainly getting cooled through your grill. air vents on your hood are for ricers (looks like 2013 mustangs are for ricers )

for the 1/4 mile numbers ive seen as low as 11.8@116 with a cai+tune only, fastest stock box+tune i've seen was 12.0@114. different cars, different tracks, different days. But still, this looks like the case everywhere i've looked, slightly slower (although .2 is supposed to be 20whp, nobody claims that the cai gives you 20whp over a stock airbox, which to me means more power outside of peak making a noticeable difference). You can find people who have ran slower with a cai than those with a stock air box, but i'm talking about the best drivers to remove that from the equation.

Last edited by Mishri; 08-27-2012 at 04:33 PM.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:03 PM
XI584

Great thread so far. I was definitely one of those wondering if its worth putting a CAI in. One of the "for noob" threads said it wasn't worth it, yet so many members on these forums have them. After reading this thread, I think I will just buy a K&N or Air Raid drop in filter and keep the stock intake system. Couple that with a tune/exhaust and it seems you get very similar results and save some money.
Old 08-28-2012, 01:37 AM
Kotobuki
3rd Gear Member

The only test I've seen that does what you're talking about is all the way at the bottom of the page for the WMS High Velocity intake for the 05-09 4.6L engines. At 50MPH their intake averaged a 36* cooler air charge, and at 100MPH was 18* cooler than the Stock box. Both runs were conducted with the stock Ford tune, as they used their stock sized MAF for the run.

So, yes... some CAIs do (so long as the reporting is accurate) actually allow for a cooler air charge.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:42 AM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

with an o/r X pipe and already tuned, adding a CAI has added 15whp. so believe whatever you guys want to, nobody is forcing you to buy anything but you are leaving some hp on the table if you don't get one. Do whatever feels good to you.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:01 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Kotobuki
The only test I've seen that does what you're talking about is all the way at the bottom of the page for the WMS High Velocity intake for the 05-09 4.6L engines. At 50MPH their intake averaged a 36* cooler air charge, and at 100MPH was 18* cooler than the Stock box. Both runs were conducted with the stock Ford tune, as they used their stock sized MAF for the run.

So, yes... some CAIs do (so long as the reporting is accurate) actually allow for a cooler air charge.
Where did they measure that? Sounds like some kinda BS to me. cruising at 50mph my IAT's are right around ambient. So their magic CAI is actually cooling the air. Now if they put a probe in one of the intake runners, then maybe i'd believe that, but using the sensor in the MAF it should be close to ambient when moving.

I wouldn't believe any results from a manufacturer!
Old 08-28-2012, 03:10 PM
tightdogal
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by XI584
Great thread so far. I was definitely one of those wondering if its worth putting a CAI in. One of the "for noob" threads said it wasn't worth it, yet so many members on these forums have them. After reading this thread, I think I will just buy a K&N or Air Raid drop in filter and keep the stock intake system. Couple that with a tune/exhaust and it seems you get very similar results and save some money.
This.

I want a tuner, but I don't feel like dropping 300 bucks for a shiny intake.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:31 PM
Doug@C&L
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by ziperhead
The first time I seen the new 5.0 intake ,I thought thats not going to make the aftermarket guys happy. Ford has made it harder for the CAI's guys to show a benefit.
The only thing ford should be commended for is a wonderful Marketing strategy. By simply putting a snow flake on their airbox they have made customers beleive its a Cold air intake and outflows the competition.

I'm trying to get Lee to put a igloo on our new brands but instead he insists that outflowing the stock box by 47% and having it made in the USA is enough for him

Thanks, Doug
Old 08-28-2012, 03:43 PM
AZAlloy
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Doug@C&L
The only thing ford should be commended for is a wonderful Marketing strategy. By simply putting a snow flake on their airbox they have made customers beleive its a Cold air intake and outflows the competition.

I'm trying to get Lee to put a igloo on our new brands but instead he insists that outflowing the stock box by 47% and having it made in the USA is enough for him

Thanks, Doug
Doug,

I don't appreciate that response at all. Ford put the snow flake on because they changed their intake design to add the plenum which pulls air from the grill area, whereas the cars previosuly did not. It doesn't say anything about flowing more air at all. A snow flake to me represents cold, and I think all it is saying is the intake is pulling the coldest (ambient) air possible. Which it is, allbeit maybe not in the most efficient way.

Additionally, I would not expect this kind of answer from a professional. I don't know you and don't know much about C&L, but I would think ripping on Ford to a bunch of Ford enthusiasts is a bad marketing strategy. I can't speak for anyone else, but it has left a bad taste in my mouth.

Since you mentioned C&L flows 47% more air, can you comment on intake temperatures during driving conditioned compared to stock?
Old 08-28-2012, 03:48 PM
flash gordon
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by XI584
I have a AEM drop in filter. AEM is a dry filter. I like it because I don't have mess with cleaning an oily filter and re-oil again.

Quick Reply: My rant about Cold Air Induction aftermarket vs stock.