Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Manual transmission info I'd like to share

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 08:59 AM
Maraman
3rd Gear Member

Default Manual transmission info I'd like to share

A buddy of mine is a service tech that works with Ford. (When Ford tech's have problems repairing vehicles, they call his company) He owned a 2011 3.7 v6, and a few months ago traded it in on a 12' GT. Both of the cars are 6 speed manual MT82's.

He has worked with alot of these cars, and has recieved alot of phones calls about them, and has basically formulated his own opinion on how to make them better (or at least operate properly)

He has a JHR shifter bracket with urethane bushing (He had the same bracket on his v6, its similar to steeda's) and he changed his transmission fluid right when he got the car (on the GT) with Redline MTL fluid.

Some info he gave me:

My trans fluid is 75w90 (like a 5w40) and the new trans fluid in the MT82 is like ATF (about or less than a 5w20) Ford switched fluids, I think some time late 2012 to remedy some of the cold start issues guys were having, so they put a lighter trans fluid in. The Redline MTL fluid is like a 70w80 (about a 5w30). In regards to the bearings in the MT82's he thinks that if they were tapered roller bearings on the main shafts that the trans may be more durable as there would be more axial support. The MT82 uses all roller bearins, which are not good at supporting axial loads. For example all tremecs use tapered roller bearings on their main shafts.

He does alot of Auto-x, and got me into it as well. Last event we had we swapped cars, so that we could get a feel of how each others transmissions shift. My first impression was how smooth and clean the shifts were in his car compared to mine. It had the mechanical feel that alot of people describe, except more plastic feeling, because of the click when the shifter sets in the urethane bushing. Don't think like cheap plastic feeling because it wasn't like that at all.

Now that I've just recently turned over 17k miles, I'm going to swap in the Redline fluid as well pretty soon. I haven't had ALOT of issues with my trans, but just enough to be an occasional annoyance, and I want to remedy that. It's honestly night and day difference the way that the shifts feel. And I think that I am going to go with the Barton shifter and bracket. My buddy thinks that the MGW shifter and bracket are better, but I am pretty sold on the Barton, and I think shifters are more of a personal preference.

Last edited by Maraman; 08-23-2012 at 09:11 AM.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:14 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

Roller bearings are fine when accompanied with a thrust bearing. Different design is all, tapered bearings are just a replacement for a two bearing system.

The MGW shifter vs barton shifter comparison.....you can't compare them. Even with the two post bracket, the support and complete integration of the mgw is far better not using the stock shifter housing, not to mention the barton shifter with support post is more expensive than the mgw unit.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:21 AM
Mountain

Originally Posted by clowe1965
Roller bearings are fine when accompanied with a thrust bearing. Different design is all, tapered bearings are just a replacement for a two bearing system.
The only roller bearings in the MT82 are under the speed gears and in the input/5th gear ("pocket bear"). None of which have thrust washer, by the way.

The main and countershaft in the MT82 are supported by sealed ball bearings (I've had these apart), which are not good for axial loads.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:34 AM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

Angular contact bearings are ball bearings with angled raceways, that could be it. The transmission, while not perfect, has to have some mechanism for this or else there would be a lot more failures.

I'm surprised at this transmission. After all the hype about the supra getrags, I would think the design would be a bit more robust. Its hard to believe that all the problems would stem from Chinese quality control and possibly lower grade materials.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:58 AM
Black Fire
1st Gear Member

The MGW is only unit that addresses all the stock shifters issues.
I havent had many issues on my 2012 either esp. after installing the MGW.

Maraman I believe I've seen your car in the SCS/Roseville area and I would be willing to let you check out my MGW if your interested.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:35 AM
hurricaneduc
1st Gear Member

I'm seriously thinking of getting a MGW shifter because of all the rave reviews. I have a 2012 V6 and sometimes I can feel vibration in the shifter. Is this because of the rather flimsy support bracket or is this from the transmission itself? Has anyone else had this issue with their car?
Old 08-31-2012, 09:38 AM
Mob Bomber
1st Gear Member

I've had some similar issues with my '13 GT within the first 500 miles. Just a slight vibration when cruising. I installed in the MGW after a friend told me about his and all the reviews and I love that thing. The flimsy feeling from stock bracket and vibrations are all gone and it feels more robust than stock. I'm not afraid now to beat the heck out of the shifter.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:34 AM
Maraman
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Black Fire
The MGW is only unit that addresses all the stock shifters issues.
I havent had many issues on my 2012 either esp. after installing the MGW.

Maraman I believe I've seen your car in the SCS/Roseville area and I would be willing to let you check out my MGW if your interested.
Sounds like a plan, I'll shoot you a pm
Old 08-31-2012, 12:03 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by hurricaneduc
I'm seriously thinking of getting a MGW shifter because of all the rave reviews. I have a 2012 V6 and sometimes I can feel vibration in the shifter. Is this because of the rather flimsy support bracket or is this from the transmission itself? Has anyone else had this issue with their car?

The MGW has become KING of the shifters since they came out with them for the 05-09's.

They allow you SUCH a wide choice on throw percentage adjustment.
You can also adjust how tall the actual shifter stands.
So much customization and personal preference room its just awesome.
The shifter is SOLID too. It is TOTALLY quiet and will NOT move or vibrate in neutral or at any point.

And if you miss 2-3rd shifting EVER with it you have to be driving with your feet. It's something you would literally have to do on purpose.

I have tested every shifter in these Mustangs and I am not one to
usually give preference on companies when it comes to mod items very often at all just because most are either very close, or they have different trade offs.

However the MGW shifter is the one exception.
It is in EVERY way in a totally different league than other shifters in my opinion. There isn't one out there yet that I consider close to it.
And as I said before I am NOT one to say "this brand is better" on mods.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:11 PM
Maraman
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for the info Blacksmoke, I'll keep it in mind.

Quick Reply: Manual transmission info I'd like to share