Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

How to gain power with a warranty

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 02:09 PM
MJTShowdown

Default How to gain power with a warranty

Hey everyone, hope your labor day weekend went well. I'm a 2012 5.0 owner, and like most im trying to get some more power out of my motor. The big problem is that i want to retain my warranty while doing so, so i was looking to see what you guys have done.

I have roush axlebacks on my car currently, but otherwise is stock (power-wise).

It looks like for a tune that I will have to stick with the FRPP tune, as others seem to void warranty. Has anyone been able to convince their dealer to cover their car if an aftermarket tune has been loaded? Along with this, I am considering a Boss intake manifold along with an aftermarket CAI. In conjunction with the FRPP am I going to notice gains, or are they negligable without a "real" tune.

Thanks in advance and look forward to suggestions.
-Mark
Old 09-04-2012, 02:40 PM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

This issue has been covered in great detail in other threads, but a cliff notes is:

FRPP tune requires installation at a Ford dealership and then registration with all required infomation in order to get the new FRPP warranty. This warranty replaces your FoMoCo new car warranty on only the items indicated in the FRPP warranty.

The FRPP tune is NOT designed for cars with mods, e.g. off-road pipes, long tubes, BOSS intake, aftermarket tune required CAI's.... About the only change besides the tune you can do is to get a no tune required CAI, like the Roush or C&L with the removable reducer retained in it.

As far as warranty retention with other than FRPP tunes, I guess that is based on individual dealers and whether they actually determine if the tune caused the problem... Hard to say in hypotheticals since each dealer is different and some are more mod friendly than others...

There is a noticable difference in driving with the FRPP tune over stock, and some have compared this tune to other aftermarket tunes and have come back to the FRPP tune... It is, according to some, more driveable and the power more noticeable in the lower to mid RPMs... I can't comment more than repeating what others have posted since I haven't loaded anything but the FRPP tune on my ride.

If you see yourself getting other upgrades like the Boss intake, long tube, or even off-road pipes, then I would say skip the FRPP tune and get a tune from one of the other big names...
Old 09-04-2012, 03:25 PM
Zodiac
5th Gear Member

With the FRPP tune, hope I'm not thread jacking, it gets rid of the 5/60k powertrain warranty and replaces it with a 3/36k instead correct?
Old 09-04-2012, 05:18 PM
scottmach
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BigDinTexas
This issue has been covered in great detail in other threads, but a cliff notes is:

FRPP tune requires installation at a Ford dealership and then registration with all required infomation in order to get the new FRPP warranty. This warranty replaces your FoMoCo new car warranty on only the items indicated in the FRPP warranty.

The FRPP tune is NOT designed for cars with mods, e.g. off-road pipes, long tubes, BOSS intake, aftermarket tune required CAI's.... About the only change besides the tune you can do is to get a no tune required CAI, like the Roush or C&L with the removable reducer retained in it.

As far as warranty retention with other than FRPP tunes, I guess that is based on individual dealers and whether they actually determine if the tune caused the problem... Hard to say in hypotheticals since each dealer is different and some are more mod friendly than others...

There is a noticable difference in driving with the FRPP tune over stock, and some have compared this tune to other aftermarket tunes and have come back to the FRPP tune... It is, according to some, more driveable and the power more noticeable in the lower to mid RPMs... I can't comment more than repeating what others have posted since I haven't loaded anything but the FRPP tune on my ride.

If you see yourself getting other upgrades like the Boss intake, long tube, or even off-road pipes, then I would say skip the FRPP tune and get a tune from one of the other big names...
Couldn't have said it any better............
Originally Posted by Zodiac
With the FRPP tune, hope I'm not thread jacking, it gets rid of the 5/60k powertrain warranty and replaces it with a 3/36k instead correct?
No, you are correct.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:23 PM
P51C
2nd Gear Member

It doesn't actually say in the warranty that it *replaces* the 5/60 with 3/36. It says it replaces the Ford regular 3/36 BtoB warranty on items specifically mentioned in the document. It's actually pretty complete in what it covers. Anything in the power train that is determined to have failed because of the tune is covered. So no just #8, no trans or rear excepted, etc. Other items not specifically mentioned continue to carry the Ford 3/36 such as your climate control or power windows. There is nothing that says the factory 5/60 powertrain warranty is affected at all.

It's the most ironclad and rock-solid tune warranty out there, based on what's on the page. I had to have my trans rebuilt really early on because of some failed bearings and there was zero issue with this tune being on the car.

...and I love it on the road, too...I'll put it up against anyone's 91 octane tune out there. Totally smooth, totally torquey, great gas mileage, hilarious.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:51 PM
SteedaBrandon
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by MJTShowdown
Hey everyone, hope your labor day weekend went well. I'm a 2012 5.0 owner, and like most im trying to get some more power out of my motor. The big problem is that i want to retain my warranty while doing so, so i was looking to see what you guys have done.

I have roush axlebacks on my car currently, but otherwise is stock (power-wise).

It looks like for a tune that I will have to stick with the FRPP tune, as others seem to void warranty. Has anyone been able to convince their dealer to cover their car if an aftermarket tune has been loaded? Along with this, I am considering a Boss intake manifold along with an aftermarket CAI. In conjunction with the FRPP am I going to notice gains, or are they negligable without a "real" tune.

Thanks in advance and look forward to suggestions.
-Mark
Between our close relationship with Ford via their Technology Transfer Program and our developing of Mustang parts for over 20 years, you can be sure that you're getting a quality product with Steeda.

I always recommend speaking to your local service manager and reading up on the Magnusson Moss Warranty Act though as even FRPP parts are not automatically covered. Ford leaves warranty voidance up to the individual dealerships.

Let me know if I can set you up with our Boss Ultimate Induction Pak!
Old 09-07-2012, 08:07 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

another option - BAMA tunes/American Muscle have an additional warranty for #8 cyl issue protection. it only covers that one issue, but that's all that's really crept up from what I've seen
Old 09-07-2012, 09:16 PM
mustangergt
1st Gear Member

Default FRPP Tune

I am having the Ford Race FRPP tune installed next friday at dealer.
And to whoever thinks the tuner will not do gears well, the SVT tech says it will and now today I talked to dealer the person who will be installing and he too says if I change gears I can use the tuner to adjust.

However I am first going to see how the tune affects the cars performance and may just decide to leave the gears as is.
Gas went back up today so no need to make car loose any mpg with changing gears.
Old 09-08-2012, 01:35 PM
P51C
2nd Gear Member

I can guarantee you that you won't lose mpg with the Procal. Mine went up 3-4 mpg in town after install
Old 09-08-2012, 04:54 PM
mapitts
3rd Gear Member

I am on the same fence. The closest dealer to me that will "install" the FRPP ProCal is 110 miles away. Plus I am just not that impressed with their numbers. $300 (at least)+ "install" adds insult to injury in IMHO. I have had 2 Mustang GT's tuned by Bama with great results. Actually better than great. I have custom tunes F150's before. All of these while still under warranty. I know that Bama stands behind what they do. They are a stand out in their line of tuning. Why am I ( and it seems like many others as well) so reluctant to go with Bama custom tuning on the '11-'12 models? Especially since I am even going keep my stock air box and already have a programmer I bought from Bama years ago? Crazy, wishy washy, I don't know.

Last edited by mapitts; 09-08-2012 at 04:57 PM.

Quick Reply: How to gain power with a warranty