Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Who has done CAI/TUNE,,,speak up!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 08:19 PM
mustangergt
1st Gear Member

Default Who has done CAI/TUNE,,,speak up!!!!!

So that all of us newer Mustand owners who are now just so unsure what to do to make our Mustangs personal by doing mods..
Please!!!! those that have, speak up

All those that have done the CAI/TUNE thing, speak up and let us know
you have not had problems...

I did it to my 2011 V6 Mustang , had it over 1 1/2 years,,no problem, traded.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:30 PM
MarkMan
4th Gear Member

Just dig in and do what you feel like you want to! My first mod was a CAI & Tune. Very easy to do, you shouldn't have any trouble. I even put Koni shocks and struts on and changed the springs out myself. That was a bit harder and I'll probably take it to a shop the next time I do that, but it turned out good!
Old 09-04-2012, 09:56 PM
Warrio17
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustangergt
So that all of us newer Mustand owners who are now just so unsure what to do to make our Mustangs personal by doing mods..
Please!!!! those that have, speak up

All those that have done the CAI/TUNE thing, speak up and let us know
you have not had problems...

I did it to my 2011 V6 Mustang , had it over 1 1/2 years,,no problem, traded.
MustangerGT, I've seen your other posts regarding this topic. It really looks like you've made up your mind that you want to do that, and are looking for affirmation about tuning a brand new car. I struggled with the same topic. On one hand there's thousands of people that do it and never have an issue. On the other had there's the 1% that do. I ultimately came to my decision by the fact that I bought a car with 420hp, is another 40hp worth the stress and concern of potential ruining your motor. For me, it wasn't. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night. I decided to play it cool and take the moderate upgrade with the FRPP, that will improve throttle response and add enough hp to satisfy me and allow me to sleep for the next three years. Its ultimately your choice, because one person was successful doesn't mean the next will be. Do you have the funds to replace a blown motor in the event the tuner warranty fails? If not its an easy decision. At the end of the day it's your choice, no one here on the forum that is telling you to tune it is going to throw you cash to fix the car if something were to happen. Take it with a grain of salt. Just my 2 cents. Good Luck with your decision.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:24 AM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

Honestly from seeing all your threads, DO NOT TUNE YOUR CAR. Your going to get mixed reviews when you post stuff like this on a forum but I will give you my opinion.

Coming from someone who ran into problems with a modded car (my 2010) if you want to sleep at night dont mod it to the extreme. Personally I would just drive the car and enjoy it. Dont get me wrong the extra power and stuff is fun, but is it worth loosing sleep over for 40+hp like warrio17 said? If you car is you DD (my s/c 2010 was) I suggest not doing it, if its a weekend toy and you have other means of getting to school/work etc. than I would do it.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:30 AM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

It's a Mustang. Mod it.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:37 AM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bakerjd
It's a Mustang. Mod it.
Than again baker does have a point. Think of how many mustangs are actually tuned vs how many mustangs have ACTUALLY had problems....... your looking at like a 1 out of 100000 % chance of having an issue. Not saying it cant or it wont happen to you but the chances are slim.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:39 AM
jyna06gt
1st Gear Member

I myself had the same outlook. Me and my buddy both bought 5.0's within weeks of each other. Mine is a 11 with 3k on it now and his is a 12 with 6k. He went with the jlt CAI and the bama tune. Run's the hell out of it any chance he gets and it still runs like a champ. I went with the C&L no tune required intake and personally I like it too. Obviously it doesnt give as much hp as a tune but i DD my stang in the summer until about fall then i drive my jeep all winter. Even with another car and Bama's #8 warranty and the lack of people that havent had that issue. It still wasnt quite enough for me to get the tuner just yet.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:44 AM
a_lopez1975
4th Gear Member

As mentioned in your other thread, I'm running the C&L CAI with SCT Tune (BAMA) and no issues what so ever. Other than one of the files being corrupted which shut the CPU system down and I couldn't start the car back up. Simply downloaded it back to stock, car started, called BAMA for some new tunes, and all went well. Also I forgot to mentioned, my firmware was outdated, so I went to the SCT Website and downloaded the newest firmware version. No Cylinder#8 issues yet.

I think it's one of those "HIT OR MISS" situations when it comes to this modifications. My personal opionion is that the CAI/Tune is one of the simplest and safest mods to do. Then again I could be wrong, but the majority of people I've seen do it, hasn't had a serious issue.

Good luck bro!!
Old 09-05-2012, 04:38 AM
stephen1371
2nd Gear Member

I have had several tunes, I change them weekly depending on if I'm spraying or not, Road trip or not, Changing fuels, I wouldnt worry about it. Although if i break I'll build it stronger, I do plan on taking the spray off an going with a procharger in the next month, so there's another tune.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:17 PM
prochargedGT
3rd Gear Member

Well the people that did have problems just had to get a firmware update from sct or bama if I'm not mistaken.

Quick Reply: Who has done CAI/TUNE,,,speak up!!!!!