Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Possible Lemmon going on. Need some advice.

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 03:50 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Op, Start here if you need to pursue lemon law status for your car or if you want to learn more about it.

http://www.bbb.org/us/california-lemon-law/
http://www.bbb.org/us/Storage/16/Doc...-LLaddinfo.pdf

Many years ago (2000) when I lived in CA i had a 2000 V6 that was in the shop several times in the first year. It's not easy to do but if the dealership gives you any grief there are lawyers you can get that specialize in Lemon Law. Once you get a lawyer though, be prepared for things to go slow(er).
Old 12-07-2012, 04:02 PM
Vardeeg94

So after a few weeks, heres the update so far ive gotten both front end lower control arms replaced. All work has been done by Galpin Ford and free of charge becuase its still under warrenty. Check engine light came on they claimed it was software. A week later light was on again and o2 sensor got replced. My car has 7800 miles on it. I even took it again the third time for the front end steering and all they did was align the wheels.

So far ive got pinion seal, gears, 2 control arms (separate incidents), check engine light twice, o2 sensor once. My car has 7800 miles all of them have been babied. The front steering is still very LOOSE. Going over cracks the wheels feel like they have a mind of their own and start to follow the path of the cracks. To the point where the car starts going in that direction. My steering setting is always on sport because i like heavy steering. I keep taking it in and all they say is we cant locate a problem. I have no idea what else my options are, this car has 7800 miles on it and its completely falling apart.

Does anyone have any suggestions at all? Anything i might be able to do? I contacted ford and they told me im not eligible for anything. And the dealership isnt doing anything either. PLEASE HELP.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:56 PM
Cristoff
2nd Gear Member

Most manufacturers do not go willingly to a lemon law buyback, and frankly there is only a limited amount the dealership CAN do to help you. You need to contact a lawyer and tell him you need to file a Lemon Law.

Have all of your documentation ready - every service visit, every concern, everything. If it qualifies under the California Lemon law guidelines (you have them in a seperate book that came with your owner's manual), then they will comply.

Look in your book at the guidelines and see of your car has been in enough to qualify for the lemon law buyback and move forward from there.

The dealership can only fix your car under warranty and give you the same advise that I just did. They cannot progress the process any further than that.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:28 AM
Vardeeg94

Originally Posted by Cristoff
Most manufacturers do not go willingly to a lemon law buyback, and frankly there is only a limited amount the dealership CAN do to help you. You need to contact a lawyer and tell him you need to file a Lemon Law.

Have all of your documentation ready - every service visit, every concern, everything. If it qualifies under the California Lemon law guidelines (you have them in a seperate book that came with your owner's manual), then they will comply.

Look in your book at the guidelines and see of your car has been in enough to qualify for the lemon law buyback and move forward from there.

The dealership can only fix your car under warranty and give you the same advise that I just did. They cannot progress the process any further than that.
THanks for the info, ive already contacted a lawyer and he said you just need one more problem that gets "fixed" to happen for either three of the areas, and your good. As of right now i dont have a case.

I was just wondering if there was anything else the dealership or anyone could do. Thanks for the info
Old 12-08-2012, 05:38 AM
kzonts
5th Gear Member

It seems they are willing to risk you having an accident. And it's a good possibility it may happen if the car is driving as you describe. I really feel bad for you, but when they repair the car and it still drives like s#%t you should bring it right back that same day. I assume they are testing the car after every repair. Either the technicians are ignoring the steering problem, or not driving in the proper conditions to feel the issue. Maybe the steering issue is software related. Anyway, I wish you luck.

Last edited by kzonts; 12-08-2012 at 05:44 AM.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:33 AM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

Actually mine does the exact same thing with following grooves in the road. It has to do with the electronic steering. It uses a worm gear to provide the power so it has to react very fast or else it will lock up the steering. The only fix for this is to go back to a hydraulic power steering set up or abandon power steering all together. They make a manual rack for the cobra jet, and if you are a fan of heavy steering that may be a viable solution.

This is not just a ford problem. My last car was a versa, had electronic steering and did the exact same thing. It wasnt as bad because it was a lighter car but the effect was still there. Youre lucky in that you have the 12 because mine is stuck in normal mode, making the problem much worse unless i am able to remember to switch to sport mode on the fly. The portion of the road is on my way home from work and it happens every day. Its something you'll have to live with if you want a new mustang.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:48 AM
kzonts
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by clowe1965
Actually mine does the exact same thing with following grooves in the road. It has to do with the electronic steering. It uses a worm gear to provide the power so it has to react very fast or else it will lock up the steering. The only fix for this is to go back to a hydraulic power steering set up or abandon power steering all together. They make a manual rack for the cobra jet, and if you are a fan of heavy steering that may be a viable solution.

This is not just a ford problem. My last car was a versa, had electronic steering and did the exact same thing. It wasnt as bad because it was a lighter car but the effect was still there. Youre lucky in that you have the 12 because mine is stuck in normal mode, making the problem much worse unless i am able to remember to switch to sport mode on the fly. The portion of the road is on my way home from work and it happens every day. Its something you'll have to live with if you want a new mustang.
Interesting. I haven't heard anyone complaining about this until now. My car did this with the stock Pirelli tires. The Nittos got rid of that problem.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:32 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kzonts
Interesting. I haven't heard anyone complaining about this until now. My car did this with the stock Pirelli tires. The Nittos got rid of that problem.
Happens on one part of my route every day, really deep grooves in the road from lots of traffic. Sport mode helps, but the steering system can't tell the difference between the gentle nudge at the tire side or driver input so it happens. Also happens on all those road trips up to NC, but usually the interstate doesn't have as deep of grooves so sport mode makes it go away completely. I'll have to talk to the wife about upgrading tires sometime, but it will be at least another year at this rate before the tires wear out. Sigh
Old 12-10-2012, 03:03 PM
flash gordon
2nd Gear Member

I never like the electronic steering on my car. The steering always feels so vague compared to all other cars I have owned! I just don't feel comfortable (safe) with the steering each time I am on the highway. Adjustment of steering seems to be artificially induced. When in sport mode, the steering is just heavier but no better, you still don't feel the road.

Ford really needs to work on this!
Old 12-10-2012, 10:34 PM
prochargedGT
3rd Gear Member

i feel you on the front end noise. Going over speed bumps my r/f is making a horrible noise and i assume its the strut or the control arm. I have an appt. tom at the dealer to see whats going on.

Quick Reply: Possible Lemmon going on. Need some advice.