Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Possible Lemmon going on. Need some advice.

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 10:55 PM
Vardeeg94

Default Possible Lemmon going on. Need some advice.

So i bought a 2012 GT auto about 5 months ago. 2 months into the purchase my rear pinion seal went out. Got that replaced. A week after i took it in because there was a loud howling at the rear end which was from a bearing. They also replaced the gears and the rack and pinion. When i took it in for the howling i also reported a grunting from the front end when going over bumps. Last week i took it in because while driving on the freeway in the rain i was going 60mph on well paved part of the freeway when my steering went out and my back end started to slide. The back end was hydroplaning but the front wasn't. I know the difference between a hydro plain and no response from the tires. Ive hydroplaned before in my friends mustang the front tires should have been turning but not gripping. My tires weren't even budging. I took it in and they replaced the front right lower control arm. This week the noise is back and it hasnt rained for a whole week. Driving 40mph down a straight road not even pushing the throttle the car starts to fishtail. What can i do? What are my options. EVERYTHING IS STOCK ON THE CAR.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:57 PM
rbowmar
2nd Gear Member

f a lemon claim might be in order on a car purchased new, document, document, document. Neither the dealership nor Ford want to get stuck with a lemon. If possible, get a disinterested party to verify the issues. Another mechanic? Take pictures, get a friend to ride with you and write it all down.

What are the lemon laws in your state? I don't know about Federal laws. Investing in an hour of legal time might be advisable considering how much $$$ you have at stake.

I hope things smooth out for you, A new GT mustang is (usually) a wonderful thing!
Old 10-20-2012, 06:56 PM
Vardeeg94

Originally Posted by rbowmar
f a lemon claim might be in order on a car purchased new, document, document, document. Neither the dealership nor Ford want to get stuck with a lemon. If possible, get a disinterested party to verify the issues. Another mechanic? Take pictures, get a friend to ride with you and write it all down.

What are the lemon laws in your state? I don't know about Federal laws. Investing in an hour of legal time might be advisable considering how much $$$ you have at stake.

I hope things smooth out for you, A new GT mustang is (usually) a wonderful thing!
Car was purchased brand new, and i have every single paper they have ever given me. I have all the paperwork from the service department, and all the paperwork from the technicians ive been on road tests with. Any time i experience a problem i would tell my service guy at Ford and he writes it down so everything's on their paperwork as well as mine. Yea i looked into the lemon laws in California and they are one of the best in the country.

Also i dropped the car off today, and I got out of my car saw my service contact and i called him over. Im like im tired of having to drive here every single week. Take this crap car with its ****ty quality, take my keys I want a new car. And I made a pretty big scene cause i haven't been able to get through to them any other way. He called his manager, the manager told me he would give me a rental while they fixed the car and they gave me the customer service number for the Detroit office. Told me to call and ive them my vin number and tell em i want a new car. And make a big deal. Im glad i already contacted my lawyer cause the guy told me if they are cooperating send them a letter from your lawyer. That will definitely get them to cooperate.

So i told the guys manager that its not that im not happy with service cause its been fantastic, im just not happy with the car. The manager said yea i wouldn't be either judging by how many times weve had to work on it in the past 4 months. Hes like Ford will cooperate because they dont like lemons cause its just bad news. And if you make a big enough scene they will give you a 2013 mustang GT maybe even with the premium package.

What do you guys think? Would they give me a new car? and if so would i be able to get some add ons and **** for free? I would definitely want the track package on it.
Old 10-21-2012, 05:34 AM
rbowmar
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Vardeeg94

What do you guys think? Would they give me a new car? and if so would i be able to get some add ons and **** for free? I would definitely want the track package on it.
They owe you the value of what is on your car for upgrades. If the track pack is expensive or rare, you may have to work to get it. Worse, If they get the idea you have been hotrodding your car, they may may not be as sympathetic to your problems. Perhaps find a performance package that has most of what you want and mod the rest.

You are getting a brand new car. Don't get too greedy.
Old 10-21-2012, 04:02 PM
Vardeeg94

Originally Posted by rbowmar
They owe you the value of what is on your car for upgrades. If the track pack is expensive or rare, you may have to work to get it. Worse, If they get the idea you have been hotrodding your car, they may may not be as sympathetic to your problems. Perhaps find a performance package that has most of what you want and mod the rest.

You are getting a brand new car. Don't get too greedy.
Yea good point. I havnt done anything to the car but change the speakers and put in two 10s in the trunk. EVERYTHING ELSE IS STOCK. Im going to see what i can work out with Ford, but im definitely going to try to get a few more packages on the car.
Old 10-21-2012, 05:25 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

You would think adding 100-150 lbs of speakers in the back would solve the fishtailing problem. At least there can't be an argument that those mods caused the problem.
Old 10-21-2012, 05:49 PM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

I'd be surprised if they were to give you a new car. There are so many things required to file a lemon law suit. The vehicle has to be out of service for a certain percentage of the time. So you'll need to get that from your service guy also. Just speaking from personal experience here, but it's a major undertaking to get your car replaced. Good luck.
I was having some major problems with a Chevy about ten years ago. Had two transmissions replaced, injectors three times, and completely lost brakes and power steering one day (I rear ended one of my other vehicles). All this happened with 35,000 miles. Chevy offered me extended warranties, but that was it. My dealer was always good about giving me something to drive, but I was getting seriously fed up.
In the end, my local dealer, NOT GM, told me he would buy back the pick-up.

One thing I would offer, don't keep track of just what has happened with the car. Keep track of your time off work to get it to and from the dealership. Record where you were and what inconveniences you faced each time the car broke down. If you do end up going to court, these personal experiences will help you.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:36 PM
Vardeeg94

Originally Posted by CPTCO
I'd be surprised if they were to give you a new car. There are so many things required to file a lemon law suit. The vehicle has to be out of service for a certain percentage of the time. So you'll need to get that from your service guy also. Just speaking from personal experience here, but it's a major undertaking to get your car replaced. Good luck.
I was having some major problems with a Chevy about ten years ago. Had two transmissions replaced, injectors three times, and completely lost brakes and power steering one day (I rear ended one of my other vehicles). All this happened with 35,000 miles. Chevy offered me extended warranties, but that was it. My dealer was always good about giving me something to drive, but I was getting seriously fed up.
In the end, my local dealer, NOT GM, told me he would buy back the pick-up.

One thing I would offer, don't keep track of just what has happened with the car. Keep track of your time off work to get it to and from the dealership. Record where you were and what inconveniences you faced each time the car broke down. If you do end up going to court, these personal experiences will help you.
Ive already contacted my lawyer, he said weve got a very strong case and should be able to get that new vehicle for you. And all inconveniences have been recorded as of now lol. I just finished writing up where i was how far I was and how long I was without a car for everytime ive take the car in. My cars got 6500 miles on so im not sure about your 35,000 but for only owning for 4 months and practically living at the service department i am VERY FED UP.

And the subs arent 100 pounds. I weighed the whole thing and i made sure to get an ultralight box. The whole thing came it at 58 pounds. Thats like driving around with another tiny person all the time. EVEN if it was 150 pounds it still shouldnt fishtail. Thats like having someone in the backseat at all times.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:16 AM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

Wow, must have been a light box, just joking around. Ive build boxes for 12" out of 1/2-3/4" mdfand they came in around that weight. Sorry this is happening, it sounds like they did bolt in the panhard bar properly, if at all.
Old 11-02-2012, 02:54 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

I wouldn't expect more than what you have, base GT automatic, they really have no reason legally to give you more. If they do it would be for positive PR, which.. they don't want to go around saying this guy had his mustang in the shop for 4 months so we upgraded him on a better mustang! the thing sticking people's minds will be the 4 months in the shop.. so nope.. don't expect an upgrade. Also I wouldn't expect a lemon law replacement even, there is a lot that has to be bad, going in for the same issue, and # of days out of service over a certain period of time.

If any of the parts were broken, like they replaced a control arm that looks like it broke, they can claim you abused the vehicle (drove too fast over a speed bump or whatever) and they replaced it for customer loyalty.

Quick Reply: Possible Lemmon going on. Need some advice.