Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

MGW question

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 07:43 PM
mapitts
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by allenmaty

It is one of the most expensive, but rightfully so considering all the work that went into this; therefore, I will need some time to put money aside for this... Christmas...err winter break, is coming up! Winter Break, so lame...
It is really not that much more considering what most of the aftermarket short throws are selling for. I mean like only $40 - $50 more. Not a whole lot compared to what you are getting.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:21 PM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

Being very unhappy with my shifter, 2-3 is hit or miss (usually miss) at 6500-7000RPM. And when it doesn't go in, I really mean it does not go in until the rpm's drop to about 4-5KRPM! Otherwise, it works fine. I just turned over 8K miles on it.

So, I've been looking at the MGW also, and I am very impressed with the completeness of engineering and quality that went into this. It is one of the most expensive, but rightfully so considering all the work that went into this; therefore, I will need some time to put money aside for this... Christmas...err winter break, is coming up! Winter Break, so lame...
OP is right, the price isnt too bad considering what youre getting. Excellent quality. adjustable throw and height is so cool.

Awesome car by the way, i want it..
Old 10-30-2012, 09:11 AM
allenmaty
1st Gear Member

Very true guys, but you have to understand, I'm married...

I just got approval for a Ford strut tower brace, found on e-bay for $99!, next will be the shifter, but I have to give her a little time between purchases.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:27 PM
mapitts
3rd Gear Member

Very true guys, but you have to understand, I'm married...

I just got approval for a Ford strut tower brace, found on e-bay for $99!, next will be the shifter, but I have to give her a little time between purchases.
Truer words were never spoken brother! I am glad I am not in the boat by myself! I don't know about you but I never heard anything about these kind of things in our vows! Married 23 years here and love every minute of it.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:14 PM
allenmaty
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mapitts
Truer words were never spoken brother! I am glad I am not in the boat by myself! I don't know about you but I never heard anything about these kind of things in our vows! Married 23 years here and love every minute of it.

20 years for me congratulations on your 23!

Meanwhile, I took my car into ford and the tech confirmed my 2-3 shift problem and I'm scheduled to have my trans torn down on Tuesday. Hopefully they will find the problem and fix it.
At least my trans will now be hand built in America by Ford!
Old 11-05-2012, 11:04 PM
Steve St.Laurent
1st Gear Member

I agree with the above comments. I ordered the MGW shifter before my car had even arrived (ordered it). The build quality is awesome and they've made even more improvements since the videos were recorded. For the price difference between the other short throw shifters on the market and the MGW it's a no brainer to go with the MGW IMO. I didn't notice any increase in NVH at all and mine is on a V6 so there's even less "other" noise to cover it up. The shifter is one of the big interfaces between you and the car and having a quality shifter makes a huge difference in the driving experience. I'd buy it again in a heartbeat. BTW, the heat shield is now included with the shifter - you don't need to buy it separately.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:50 AM
mapitts
3rd Gear Member

Yes, they told me the same thing about the heat shield. More for the same amount of money IMHO. All I need is for it to get here. I hate my stock shifter. I am going to keep the factory shift **** though. I do like the way it feels over a plastic ball.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:31 AM
REDBOSS1
3rd Gear Member

How hard is it to install the shifter on your own?
Old 11-07-2012, 11:50 AM
mapitts
3rd Gear Member

Do a search under MGW shifters. They have about 45 minutes of installation videos. Really not to much to it though. A little tight, but not impossible. Still waiting on mine to come in. When I get it installed I will let you know a little more. It really looks as easy as changing out a starter. I have faced a whole lot more at work.

Last edited by mapitts; 11-07-2012 at 03:21 PM.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:31 PM
Steve St.Laurent
1st Gear Member

Go to mgwltd.com and they have very thorough video install instructions. It took me about 4 hours to install mine but I'm VERY meticulous about wrenching on my vehicles and I was working on my back with the car on jack stands which slowed things down some. The hardest part for me was getting a couple of the nuts up and installed along with the flat and lock washers as I had to balance them on the end of my socket because of lack of a good angle to get up in there. What will help out greatly is a 2nd pair of hands to assist from inside the vehicle when your below, etc (I had that and it would definitely have taken longer doing it by myself).

Quick Reply: MGW question