Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Any other 2013 guys have very notchy shifting and clunky noise and feel?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 03:58 PM
Slappy3243
1st Gear Member

Question Any other 2013 guys have very notchy shifting and clunky noise and feel?

Hey Guys,

I have noticed that this manual transmission is rather clunky and notchy, especially when shifting from first to second. It's loud as well and can be heard from outside of the car. My 2005 was fairly notchy, but I don't remember it being like this. I also notice that the 1-2 shift can be somewhat difficult at times, even when driving like a grandma. From reading, it seems most of the transmission issues were dealt with from the 2011-2012 model year. Any other 2013 owners have this issue? It never refuses to go into gear like others have had, so I am good there. Thanks.
Old 11-04-2012, 05:29 PM
Cobrakev
3rd Gear Member

Mine is that way..
Old 11-04-2012, 07:46 PM
Trumpetlon

I had the same issue with my '12. I changed the stock fluid to Redline MTL and the shifting issues vanished. I've read the same reports of improvement from Amsoil MTG too. On a similar note, I just added the urethane bushing from Energy Suspension and it improved the shift feel and action even more.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:46 PM
Black Fire
1st Gear Member

Fluid swap and MGW ... Nuff Said !!
Old 11-04-2012, 09:49 PM
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

Ive noticed a little noise in the Boss tranny while sifting it at idle (cant hear it when driving). Ive missed 3rd a couple times while hammering gears even with the barton shifter. The noise doesnt bother me much since the T5 in the 93 is noisy as crap. Just gotten used to a noisy tranny I suppose.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:58 PM
Slappy3243
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Trumpetlon
I had the same issue with my '12. I changed the stock fluid to Redline MTL and the shifting issues vanished. I've read the same reports of improvement from Amsoil MTG too. On a similar note, I just added the urethane bushing from Energy Suspension and it improved the shift feel and action even more.
Originally Posted by Black Fire
Fluid swap and MGW ... Nuff Said !!
If I take the car to the dealer since it's under warranty, do you think they will be familiar enough with this issue to replace the fluid? Obviously they are not going to install and aftermarket shifter. Thanks.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:00 AM
Trumpetlon

Originally Posted by Slappy3243
If I take the car to the dealer since it's under warranty, do you think they will be familiar enough with this issue to replace the fluid? Obviously they are not going to install and aftermarket shifter. Thanks.
The '13 already has Fords recommended fluid, so they probably wouldn't change it for you and even if they did it would still be the same foul smelling stuff you are having issues with. The aftermarket fluid is better and the change is quick and easy and all you need is a fluid pump to get the new stuff in.

The MGW is an awesome shifter, but not everyone wants to spend $400 plus install on a shifter. The stock shifter with either a replacement urethane bushing or a new rear mount is good enough for a daily driver that sees occasional action. Now if you have the bucks or want to take it to the track, get the MGW, you won't be disappointed!
Old 11-06-2012, 03:10 PM
Slappy3243
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Trumpetlon
The '13 already has Fords recommended fluid, so they probably wouldn't change it for you and even if they did it would still be the same foul smelling stuff you are having issues with. The aftermarket fluid is better and the change is quick and easy and all you need is a fluid pump to get the new stuff in.

The MGW is an awesome shifter, but not everyone wants to spend $400 plus install on a shifter. The stock shifter with either a replacement urethane bushing or a new rear mount is good enough for a daily driver that sees occasional action. Now if you have the bucks or want to take it to the track, get the MGW, you won't be disappointed!
Thanks. The will probably leave it as is then if it's considered normal. I don't want to change the fluid, only to have something go wrong with the transmission and Ford denies warranty coverage.
Old 12-16-2012, 05:11 PM
wicked400ex

Originally Posted by Slappy3243
Hey Guys,

I have noticed that this manual transmission is rather clunky and notchy, especially when shifting from first to second. It's loud as well and can be heard from outside of the car. My 2005 was fairly notchy, but I don't remember it being like this. I also notice that the 1-2 shift can be somewhat difficult at times, even when driving like a grandma. From reading, it seems most of the transmission issues were dealt with from the 2011-2012 model year. Any other 2013 owners have this issue? It never refuses to go into gear like others have had, so I am good there. Thanks.
After owning an '08 and now a '12 I've learned to shift 1st to 3rd easy until trans fluid warms up then the shifting is fine. the cars have thicker fluid for performance, con is, not so great when cold.
Old 12-16-2012, 05:19 PM
theczar
2nd Gear Member

Yup....Barton short throw fixed my issues.

Quick Reply: Any other 2013 guys have very notchy shifting and clunky noise and feel?