Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Shaker 500 adjustments

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 10:57 AM
Paul S. Safford

Default Shaker 500 adjustments

I tried searching on this already, plenty of threads on upgrading the audio system but nothing on adjusting the current system.

I just purchased a 2013 GT premium, it came with the Shaker 500.

IMO 500 watts of horrible sound.

There seems no way to adjust the mid tones making this the worst sounding audio system I've ever experienced - worse even then my Kia/beater.

Has one one found a way to adjust anything aside from the bass/treble and balance/fade?

I didn't think to test this on my test drive. I hardly listen to the radio while driving it due to the very nice V8 sounds but it might be nice on a longer trip to enjoy something other then talk radio.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:37 PM
allenmaty
1st Gear Member

Mine sounds pretty decent, if I changed anything I would like better tweeters for a crisper sound.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:36 PM
SirJAG

Originally Posted by Paul S. Safford
I tried searching on this already, plenty of threads on upgrading the audio system but nothing on adjusting the current system.

I just purchased a 2013 GT premium, it came with the Shaker 500.

IMO 500 watts of horrible sound.

There seems no way to adjust the mid tones making this the worst sounding audio system I've ever experienced - worse even then my Kia/beater.

Has one one found a way to adjust anything aside from the bass/treble and balance/fade?

I didn't think to test this on my test drive. I hardly listen to the radio while driving it due to the very nice V8 sounds but it might be nice on a longer trip to enjoy something other then talk radio.
i agree with everything you said. i ditched the stock head unit, went with a good JVC that has much better adjustablility and then changed out the door speakers (top) with better seperate tweeters. the JVC let me isolate all the base freq. to the 8in speakers in the bottom of the doors. this improved it about 1000%

jag
Old 11-25-2012, 07:31 PM
Poppacapp
2nd Gear Member

Just purchased my 2012 GT500 a week ago, and I am very disappointed in the sound of the Shaker 500 system. I came from a Lexus IS350 with their 13 speaker setup. And the sound difference is worlds apart. The mids/highs on the Shaker system are severely lacking. 6x8's in the front, and 6x8's in the rear just don't cut it. My future changes will be adding 3 piece components both front and rear.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:41 PM
Paul S. Safford

I've got a quick fix for those of you who, like me, don't want to swap out the head unit and speakers on a brand new ride.

I'm using an iPhone and streaming music via Bluetooth. It works great with sync, shuffles, and picks up automatically (you can set it to do this).

On the iPhone, once you're playing some tunes, go to settings, scroll down to Music, select it then select EQ. You can set a preset EQ and hear in real time the results. I went with the 'Rock' preset and now the Shaker 500 sounds decent.

Sorry, I don't have a fix for sat radio, over the air radio, CDs or USB...
Old 11-26-2012, 05:04 PM
Poppacapp
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Paul S. Safford
I've got a quick fix for those of you who, like me, don't want to swap out the head unit and speakers on a brand new ride.

I'm using an iPhone and streaming music via Bluetooth. It works great with sync, shuffles, and picks up automatically (you can set it to do this).

On the iPhone, once you're playing some tunes, go to settings, scroll down to Music, select it then select EQ. You can set a preset EQ and hear in real time the results. I went with the 'Rock' preset and now the Shaker 500 sounds decent.

Sorry, I don't have a fix for sat radio, over the air radio, CDs or USB...
I have an Ipod connected full time, and use my Bionic to stream Jango radio on BT sometimes. The factory system is still severely lacking IMO
Old 11-26-2012, 05:22 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

one of the main reasons I went with the premium is *for* the shaker 500 - I didn't want to fiddle with the factory setup (head unit / speakers / amps / sub etc..)as I have had to in past vehicles. wanted to stay OEM. I am pretty pleased with the sound quality in mine. strange.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:44 PM
StangingAround
1st Gear Member

Definitely not the best stereo but not the worst either. I agree with Entaille in the reason I went with the premium was because I wanted the shaker and didn't want to mess with aftermarket stuff.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:15 PM
Poppacapp
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Entaille
one of the main reasons I went with the premium is *for* the shaker 500 - I didn't want to fiddle with the factory setup (head unit / speakers / amps / sub etc..)as I have had to in past vehicles. wanted to stay OEM. I am pretty pleased with the sound quality in mine. strange.
My opinion is based on my previous cars system. So coming from that , compared to, its a big difference. But Lexus vehicles have been known to have outstanding factory systems in them. I think if Ford were to go with 3 way components instead of the 6x8's front and rear, they would have a much better offering. To me, it just sounds... for lack of a better description... "muddy" sounding compared to the other car.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:27 PM
TwentyThirteen
1st Gear Member

What kind of music are you listening to and what is the source? It's more than just the system.

I exclusively listen to music through my phone to an aux cable, due to my phone having both beatsaudio and an extremely high quality converter. Playing well produced music and not exceeding 75% volume on the phone itself makes for pretty stellar sound even in my base audio system.

I'm not sure the quality of the converters of the sync system, but I would first try flattening the EQ of the shaker, and EQing your source, as well as lowering the volume of the source.

Quick Reply: Shaker 500 adjustments