Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Help me decide my next mod!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 12:44 AM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

Default Help me decide my next mod!!

Alright well I'm having a little trouble deciding my next mod. My current mods are CAI, O/r X, and AED 93 tune. I am looking to make the car a little more powerful.

I was looking at longtubes but a lot of people on here are saying they dont add much being that I already have an o/r x.

Also thought about adding an Aluminum Driveshaft?? Not sure it if does much but maybe it could drop .2 et??? I know it saves some weight on the drivetrain but does it vibrate the car to the point where I wont enjoy driving it? Like rattling drinks in my cupholder lol

One other thing I was considering was going to a 3.31 or 3.55 gear. I put 4.10's in my 2010 and loved it. Car was so much quicker off the line and the gears werent extremely long like on my 2012 auto now. Any thoughts on these and which ratio would be better??

Basically looking to improve the cars performance/power. I run my friends EVO all the time and he is still doing more mods and somewhat catching up. I want to put an end to that
Old 12-10-2012, 09:55 AM
tj@steeda
3rd Gear Member

The fist question we have to ask you is what is your budget? That will give us a better idea of what you can add with parts/labor that will really make a difference.

Also, what are you goals? Do you race, dd, or just want a better looking car?

Shoot me an email at tim @ steeda with your information and I can start to have the boys at the shop determine what is your best route to go.

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 12-10-2012, 02:52 PM
Jay@Hypermotive
Former Sponsor

I agree with TJ on this. Let us know your budget and what exactly your goals are and that will give us something to work with. Gearsare a great upgrade, 3.73 is what I would choose as I'm assuming this is an M6?
Old 12-10-2012, 03:14 PM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

Alright well I am a 2012 auto. Right now I have an intake, tune, and o/r x pipe. I dont race the car every weekend at the track but I do try and get out twice a season and would like to see an 11sec time slip but I'm not going all out just for that. I am basically just looking to improve the cars power/performance. Mods I have in mind are LT headers, boss manifold, gears (3.55/3.73/4.10), or an aluminum driveshaft. My budget right now would be around 2k so I would be able to pick about 2 depending on which I go with. The gears in this 2012 auto with the 3.15 rear end are extremely long so I am thinking maybe switch the gears out.

I am told since I have an o/r x pipe already, going with LT's will only get me another 10hp and honestly 1500$ for 10hp isnt worth it. The boss manifold is a nice piece and gets a good gain from 4500-7500 but I dont want to spin my motor that much. The highest I would like to set my shift points at is 7000-7200 so would I still see a benefit from it? I was thinking alum. driveshaft or gears to make up for the loss down low, and the boss manifold to add some power up top.

Any thoughts/suggestions?
Old 12-10-2012, 04:03 PM
scottmach
3rd Gear Member

Gears will hurt you at the track with anything more than 3.31's. You'll be shifting into 4th before you cross the traps. The Boss intake only works if you're willing to shift at 7600-7700 rpm. Honestly just a good tire and you would be in the 11's. As I've told you on the other 15 boards you've started this same thread CONVERTER LOL!
Old 12-10-2012, 06:16 PM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by scottmach
Gears will hurt you at the track with anything more than 3.31's. You'll be shifting into 4th before you cross the traps. The Boss intake only works if you're willing to shift at 7600-7700 rpm. Honestly just a good tire and you would be in the 11's. As I've told you on the other 15 boards you've started this same thread CONVERTER LOL!
Im just skeptical about going with a converter lol. I have never ridden or drove a car with a converter so I dont want to spend all this money + the install and than end up hating it for the street. I think I am going to start with an aluminum DS. There are no downfalls of it besides the $750 price tag and it may give me the extra jump off the line that im looking for. And from looking at multiple graphs comparing the boss manifold vs non boss manifold, it makes more power than stock manifold from 5k all the way to 7800. So even if I have it shift at 7200 I am still getting some benefits from it. Even if its not the full 30hp I would get if I shifted at 7700, I can still get about 20hp maybe

EDIT -- **** it, im doing a test on the boss manifold. Im having my car dynoed ASAP the way it is now (intake, tune, x pipe) than going to install the boss manifold, KEEP THE SAME REDLINE/SHIFTPOINTS and compare the two graphs. The manifolds can be had for $400+/- so even if I dont like it, or I feel too much loss down low I will just take it off and sell it.

Last edited by grabber blue gt; 12-10-2012 at 06:20 PM.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:22 PM
3vStang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by grabber blue gt
Alright well I'm having a little trouble deciding my next mod. My current mods are CAI, O/r X, and AED 93 tune. I am looking to make the car a little more powerful.

I was looking at longtubes but a lot of people on here are saying they dont add much being that I already have an o/r x.

Also thought about adding an Aluminum Driveshaft?? Not sure it if does much but maybe it could drop .2 et??? I know it saves some weight on the drivetrain but does it vibrate the car to the point where I wont enjoy driving it? Like rattling drinks in my cupholder lol

One other thing I was considering was going to a 3.31 or 3.55 gear. I put 4.10's in my 2010 and loved it. Car was so much quicker off the line and the gears werent extremely long like on my 2012 auto now. Any thoughts on these and which ratio would be better??

Basically looking to improve the cars performance/power. I run my friends EVO all the time and he is still doing more mods and somewhat catching up. I want to put an end to that
I'd personally get a 3200-3500 stall and a pair of ET streets. You'll rip on that evo all day long.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:53 AM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

Converter is out of the question. I have never driven or been in a car with a converter so it would be a very expensive chance to take to see if I would like it or not. As of right now I think I am going to go with an aluminum DS and swap out the rear gears to either 3.31/3.55/3.73. I just checked on mapquest and JPC racing is only 3 hours away from me so I am going to see what they quote me for gear install, and will just have them do the DS at the same time.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:40 AM
RoLlRaCeR

Man I'm gonna tell you right now IMO, I have done all the exhaust mods and when I slapped my lt headers on it gained quite abit more than I had from catless x-pipe it just completes the the whole full bolt ons air in air out theory.. and its not only the hp/tq gain but also the the throttle response and the speed of the needle going from 5k-7.5k rpms.. it took me a little while to get use to my car blowing through the rpms like it did.. and the growl..totally different bark and bite all in one!! But the alum drive shaft will increase your throttle response and gears with that best get some radials!! Nto5r nittos mt work really well ot/strip applications! Whatever decide your car looks nasty! Best of luck!
Old 12-11-2012, 03:58 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

Having both the aluminum ds and lts, i can tell you i gained some hp and torque from the lts, but i couldnt feel anything from the ds other than the missing clunk during shifts, which you dont experience very well with an auto anyway. However my time slip says the alum ds did its job. So peak to peak no you dont gain much with headers bjt you do gain area under the curve in mid to high rpms, where you'll see it at the track. But if you dont want to blow all of your 2k on the headers definitely go for the driveshaft. Gears would also work but as mishiri said 3.31 is gonna be the best for your application. Not the o $#it factor you get with 3.73s but you have a useable first gear too, and mpg drop isnt as bad since you only hit the track twice a year. Fyi hypermotive has aluminum ds available.