Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Ticking/Sewing machine noice coming from lower front passenger side of engine

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 11:33 AM
UofHmustang
2nd Gear Member

Default Ticking/Sewing machine noice coming from lower front passenger side of engine

Anyone dealt with this? My car is at the dealer right now and they're thinking it might be a knocking rod bearing. I've heard about the fan tensioner problem and brought it to them thinking it just needed to have the work per the TSB done. If it was a bad rod bearing wouldn't we be able to hear it from both sides since the crank is spinning?
Old 01-14-2013, 02:49 PM
Jayme

I have no idea what it is, but my 2012 GT did the exact same thing. Freakin' drove me nuts. I'm also curious as to what it was..
Old 01-14-2013, 02:55 PM
UofHmustang
2nd Gear Member

Did you ever have anything bad happen? My car only has 12k on the clock.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:57 PM
Jayme

Man to be honest, i heard that coming from mine at 200 miles. Probably before that but I thought it was my imagination until my wife confirmed it. I never had any problems from it, but then again I traded it in with only 2700 miles on it. But this was car babied and NEVER abused.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:13 PM
Jayme

https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l...itor-tick.html
Old 01-14-2013, 04:26 PM
UofHmustang
2nd Gear Member

That's not what my car is doing. It's almost like a very small exhaust leak kind of tick. It's very similar to what the injectors sound like. In fact I thought it was just the injectors.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:42 PM
severetitan

My 2011 GT does the same thing. Currently at 9,700mi.
I never really noticed it until I had the oil changed for the first time, but maybe I was just missing it before. Changed at 5,000mi, went to full synthetic.

Please follow up and post the result if possible. I think about taking mine to the dealership all the time, but it's tough to schedule since this is my DD.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:13 AM
UofHmustang
2nd Gear Member

That's when I noticed it too.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:41 AM
UofHmustang
2nd Gear Member

Update.

Dealer performed TSB for the stretchy AC fan belt and ticking is no longer audible. The loudest sound I hear are the injectors. However, I will not be taking my car back to Champion Ford in Houston. Before I picked up the car they called and said the noise was still present and wanted to start a warranty claim. This would involve tearing down the engine before getting the okay from the field representatives for a new engine. I showed up to pick up the car and didn't hear the ticking anymore so needless to say I think they saw an opportunity to flag some more hours. He even stressed to bring it back to only him.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:57 AM
Jayme

LOL......... Well, I'm glad you got it back in one piece and the ticking is no longer audible! Thats a win! And the other? Ehh... I'm not touching that one

Quick Reply: Ticking/Sewing machine noice coming from lower front passenger side of engine