Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Classic sounding axle back exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 02:17 PM
remicks
4th Gear Member

Default Classic sounding axle back exhaust

I'm looking to get an axle back exhaust for my '11 GT and I'm looking for one that sounds as close to the good ole original pushrods, I miss the sound of my 67 289. I know that isn't going to exactly happen but I'm trying to get as close as possible.

Looking through the previous threads and listening to videos I'm leaning to the Ford Racing GT500's. Can anybody running this exhaust or others offer their first hand experience.

Also, I'm not looking for anything too loud or droning. My GT is my daily driver.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:10 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Maybe GT500s and remove the resonators? I have the 500s with the resonators and have been contemplating having them removed.

Something you may want to do.. have someone drive your car while you stand aside and watch.

You can barely hear the exhaust from inside the car. These cars are very insulated from sound (or at least compared to previous mustangs). Hearing it from outside the car may surprise you.

That said, axleback mufflers will never sound as good as the old mid muffler setup. That, and the engines are just that different.. Im afraid that old school muscle car sound is pretty much gone. You can still make it sound good.. but, if you have a good ear.. its just not the same. Not bad.. just not the same.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:34 AM
remicks
4th Gear Member

That's what appealed to me about the GT500's. If they weren't quite loud enough I could remove the resonators as well to make them a little louder.

I actually did that the day before posting this topic, that's when I decided that the stock exhaust is too quiet and that I need to upgrade. I figured that they upgraded the sound proofing since the '67, haha. A little more than carpet and sheet metal shielding us from the noise of the road now.

Yeah, sadly I figured the sound was gone. The difference in the engines makes it hard to recreate. Just hoping to get something close to that nice deep rumble/burble of the classic.

The engines and exhaust now sound so precise and controlled compared to the classics, probably because that's the case. Can't tune this car with just a screwdriver and vacuum gauge, haha.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:41 PM
Deranged2013
1st Gear Member

I just switched from Flowmaster Outlaws (deep, loud, aggressive, old school sound, with drone) to Stainless Works ( 1/2 as loud as the Outlaws, still agressive, but with no drone). I can actually carry on a conversation with the wife now at the dreaded 2k rpm range. They sound amazing. Check them out on Youtube
Old 01-29-2013, 01:15 PM
Dawghouse
2nd Gear Member

I have the Roush axelbacks on my DD and I have to say I have been quite impressed with them, they can be very loud with WOT but at 2k there is no drone. I constantly have people at gas stations comment on how good it sounds. If you are looking for some sound clips youtube and Americanmuscle are your best bets if you don't like the quality of the sound clip on AM then check out more on youtube. You can also try to find a mustang club in your area and ask what exhaust members have and see if you can hear them in person.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:30 PM
Jay@Hypermotive
Former Sponsor

If you want a good quality sound look into the SW catback, they're a little more but the quality is top notch. Another good brand is the Borla S-types.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:55 AM
remicks
4th Gear Member

I checked out Stainless Works and saw their Sideburners, http://www.stainlessworks.net/produc...r-exhaust.html, I don't know what to think about those except to pass. But their full catback does sound really nice.

I was only looking at axle back because I'm working with a budget and trying to keep this under $500. I know cat backs are nicer but the almighty dollar has the last say in the argument sadly. I think I will go with the GT500's partially due to that as well, plus I like the way they sound. Not too loud but still has the deep note. Plus I can remove the resonators later on if I want it louder.

Thanks for the tips. I wish I had time to meet up with local mustang owners to hear the exhaust in person but lately I barely have time for sleep thanks to school and work.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:07 PM
Trumpetlon

If you want a cat back within your budget, get the Pypes 3" X pipe and have it welded in with 3" pipe back to the over axle pipe (eliminates the resonators) and install the GT500 axle back. Instant cat back system for under $500. It sounds amazing without being obnoxious, gives a nice low tone with a bit of rasp that just sounds mean under throttle but has no drone on the highway.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:26 AM
kbmag1

I have the GT500 AB with the resonators removed. Sounds even better and no drone.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:48 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

You might try getting the boss side pipe setup. Gt500s won't get you the sound you are looking for, they are great, but not close to what you asked. You might try using a heavy gauge exhaust pipe to replace the over-axle pipes as well.

Quick Reply: Classic sounding axle back exhaust