Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Auto in GT? What Ford Says Too

Old 02-03-2013, 08:43 AM
GTC
1st Gear Member

Default Auto in GT? What Ford Says Too

Okay I'm just asking, so don't go militant on me here: I went '13 GT shopping at Crown Ford Nashville yesterday, and I was won by an Automatic transmission in a GT (not purchased just yet). Very nicely executed. Before deciding I wanted to ask on this forum why not go auto? Is there a down side? Real men drive stick right?

"Automatics have evolved past manuals in efficiency and performance." Ford says, "I think the disparity will continue to grow," said Craig Renneker, Ford's chief transmission engineer. "There are many things we can still do to improve automatics, but manual transmissions are already close to optimal." Renneker said he thinks that the new 2011 5.0-liter V-8 Mustang "has one of the best manuals on earth. But at this point, we don't know what else to do to improve it," he said.

In the end all the old reasons of going manual seem to be either gone or going. As the engineers at Car Talk said, "There are no good economic or mechanical reasons to choose a manual over an automatic anymore. So be as shiftless as you like." (also listing very well known supercars including some Ferraris, Lamborginis and Bentleys not even available in manual).

And yet the Boss 302, GT 500, are only available in manual, and there seems to be about 5 manual GT Coupes for every Automatic on Ford car lots. What gives?

Last edited by GTC; 02-03-2013 at 08:49 AM.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:59 AM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

What you have said is technically correct. Automatics have surpassed manuals in terms of capability. Having only recently learned to drive manual, I can say I will likely never go back to automatic because I enjoy the feedback a manual gives and the focus it requires to drive well. I honestly believe if more people drove manuals we'd have fewer accidents because people would concentrate more on driving instead of texting/twatting/Spacebooking or whatever distraction they have active at the time. So while the numbers are against me, the things that you can't quantify are what have driven me (pun intended) to a manual. I imagine cars that are built purely for driving enthusiasts (Boss 302, GT500) come equipped with manuals for the same reason.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:14 AM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

I think manual transmissions give you more connection to the car. I find it enjoyable being able to go through the gears.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:22 AM
ZombieHuntr
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by DRAGUL
I think manual transmissions give you more connection to the car. I find it enjoyable being able to go through the gears.
Originally Posted by CMcNam
What you have said is technically correct. Automatics have surpassed manuals in terms of capability. Having only recently learned to drive manual, I can say I will likely never go back to automatic because I enjoy the feedback a manual gives and the focus it requires to drive well. I honestly believe if more people drove manuals we'd have fewer accidents because people would concentrate more on driving instead of texting/twatting/Spacebooking or whatever distraction they have active at the time. So while the numbers are against me, the things that you can't quantify are what have driven me (pun intended) to a manual. I imagine cars that are built purely for driving enthusiasts (Boss 302, GT500) come equipped with manuals for the same reason.
agreed on both accounts.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:59 AM
duckbubbles
2nd Gear Member

I went from a manual in my '08 to the auto in the '13. Knee problems caused the change. I still miss the manual sometimes, and they are more fun to drive most of the time. I don't regret the change too much- the auto is growing on me- the thing runs great and most of my driving is around town where the manual can get busy.

Frank
Old 02-03-2013, 10:41 AM
GTC
1st Gear Member

On the fewer accidents with manual comment, it does not turn out according to a couple of studies you can Google that folks with manuals put their texting down and focus on driving. Instead, it just, not surprisingly, adds one more layer of complexity to the multi tasking we all do.

I learned to drive a manual as a teenager working in the Florida orange groves, owned a string of trucks with manuals, and so now I'm perfectly happy not buying a modern six speed manual to row (And my LE driving traing and experience has all been in an auto). It's a choice, both are correct. Think I'll get the auto.

Last edited by GTC; 02-03-2013 at 10:45 AM.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:13 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

I miss an auto sometimes. When I had an auto, I missed having a manual.

If I were to buy another mustang? It would be a CS with an auto. Ill be pretty old by the time I can get another mustang

Seriously though, the autos are pretty sweet and can be very predictable. With a tune, the autos really wake up. With the new shift selectors, autos are even more fun.

This is my daily driver.. 40 miles a day in mostly traffic. It can get old sometimes. But I actually like being able to keep it in a low gear with traffic. Its just harder to relax, which, to me, is probably a good thing since it keeps me aware.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:50 PM
Cristoff
2nd Gear Member

I think people worry way too much about what the spec sheet says. What it says on paper means all of jack ****. If I chose a car simply by what is on the sheet or what a manufacturer told me, a Mustang wouldn't be in my driveway at all.

Personally, I drive a Manual - simply because I test drove both and preferred the feedback and fun of the manual transmission vs the automatic and that is the ONLY reason you should be looking at the difference at all.

Drive both and find out what YOU like more. It's your car and you are the only person responsible for the decision that you make.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:59 PM
SD 197
2nd Gear Member

As for me, I bought my car used and I was searching for a manual initially, but this deal was just too good to pass up.

Manuals are more fun, and I would have preferred it. But for large V8s with a lot of torque, the performance loss, at least in a straight line, isn't large. Unlike having a smaller engine that really needs a manual to get the most out of it.

Plus this is my daily driver, a heavier convertible with a softer suspension, having a automatic just kind of fits in. Plus heaven in heavy traffic.

But when I hit the canyons, I sure wish I could row the gears myself.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:01 PM
mcrider
2nd Gear Member

I have both and I love both of them. I honestly don't know which I would choose if I had to make that choice. Just get what you like!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Auto in GT? What Ford Says Too