Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Where to start?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 03:24 PM
mapitts
3rd Gear Member

CAI / tune, and a shifter for your transmission.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:31 PM
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

CAI will help a lot too but look into exhaust systems the V8's will gain a lot from improved exhaust flow. Combine that with a tune and your going to see a big boost. The stock mufflers are pretty restrictive good muffler deletes and off road x pipe or high flow cat x pipe if you have emission restrictions in your area.

Been lots of debate over after market headers. The stock headers ford puts on are quite nice.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:38 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

yep, I have a tough time justifying the cost with the results of the whp on headers. It's worth it, if you want to squeeze every WHP out of it with bolt-ons(since most of the LT headers I looked at are 900-1200). It just doesn't fit into my goals and I don't want to spend anymore money till I pay it off... so, again what you want to do personally is what matters.

I'm glad people are back on the CAI, for awhile we had a bunch of people in here claiming it did nothing and not to get it. (because otherwise stock most people were seeing only around 5whp difference), mods aren't cheap, and a CAI is about the cheapest +whp you'll get aside from a cat-less mid-pipe.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:48 PM
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

That's what it came down to with me the cost to do the headers was not worth the money to power I got. Got more power from Stainless Works cat back and their high flow x pipe. Still have not done any tunes to it, mainly waiting the few years it takes for the warranty to expire on everything before I go nuts with it. Otherwise I would of tuned it already, same goes for installing the Boss302 Cam and Intake. Something goes wrong in the engine Ford will blame it on those mods and not fix it.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:00 PM
2006Boss
1st Gear Member

I agree a CAI and a tune...I just did that with mine and I love the difference it made..
Old 03-20-2013, 09:35 PM
Coyote13

Thanks again for the input. I ordered the Airaid CAI and Bama tuner today. Now I just need to decide on the exhaust. I think I will go with a cat back for now just need to wade through the brands.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:02 AM
CrzyHrs
2nd Gear Member

I went with the SLP loud mouth (axle-back) and loved it until I installed headers. The drone in 6th gear at 2000 RPM is annoying at times, especially if you have someone in the car with you. I'm looking towards the Roush exhaust and removing the resonators. My next mods with be the Boss Intake and a throttle body. Still not sure which throttle body to go with, some people say that the money for them isn't worth the gain, kinda like headers. At some point, I've got to break down and get a set of wheels and tires for the drag strip. So many mods to do, so little money to do it with..
Old 03-21-2013, 11:19 AM
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

Took me about 6 months to go though all the exhaust brands many hours of youtube and talking with other folks. Just found Stainless Works about a month ago and went with them.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:38 AM
stepqhen
1st Gear Member

MGW shifter, no matter what you want to do this will be a plus.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:13 PM
Slammintone
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dcarlinf1
I am surprised no one is suggesting suspension upgrades as I did. That's the thing that is lacking the most on these cars.
Opinions vary. That being said the stock suspension on non track pack 5.0s aint all that great is it? However, the right set of wheels as in my case, 19x9 front and 19x10 rears and the right tires fitted to them made a heck of an improvement visually and suprisingly the car handles better and nosedives a lot less now too. So, if you get the right set of wheels and tires you can take care of one drawback to the new cars looks while helping a lot in the suspension feel, handling a driveability all in one stroke. I'm actually thinking I'm not in any hurry to lower the car at this point. It doesn't look THAAT bad and meanwhile as the car is riding better I'll try to get some full use outta the factory suspension while I spend the next batch of cash on getting the car sounding as mean as it looks! Tuner, exhaust, and catch-can will all be done next all together.

Quick Reply: Where to start?