Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Manual shifter upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 11:52 AM
artdohc
1st Gear Member

Default Manual shifter upgrades

Hey everyone,

I'm in the process of upgrading my new-to-me 2011 Mustang GT, one of the things that I can't stand on the car is the shifter. I know Barton and MGW offer short throw shifters, but they are a bot pricey and the length of throw isn't what bothers me, it's the feel.

I have been looking at the Energy Suspension shifter stabilizer for our cars http://www.energysuspensionparts.com...sp?prod=4.1134

and I've also been looking at the Steeda shifter base
http://www.americanmuscle.com/steeda...hing-1112.html

My question is...do they do the same thing? If I buy one will it remove the reason to use the other? I don't mind purchasing the two for $100 to see if it makes my shifter feel the way I want it, once I finish the mods I'm more focused on (suspension, brakes, wheels, tires) I'm planning to circle back around and get a Barton or MGW or Steeda Tri-Ax. Thanks.
Old 04-26-2013, 03:54 PM
mapitts
3rd Gear Member

Get an MGW now and forget about it. Day to night in shift quality. The other stuff is a band aid approach. If you cannot shift gears the other mods are worthless IMHO. Is it pricey? Yes, and you will never regret it or look back.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:33 AM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

If you don't mind the stock throw, then a shifter bracket will suit you perfectly. You can go with the Steeda or Barton shifter bracket, too. Both will really smooth up the shifts and give you the feel you're looking for.

In fact, AMDanBailer and I just installed a Barton Shifter Bracket on his stock 2012 GT shifter last week. He's extremely happy with the feel!

Let me know if I can assist you with anything else!

Shane
Old 04-29-2013, 10:56 AM
Enochius
1st Gear Member

Everything that I've read puts the MGW head and shoulders above the rest. That's definitely the way I'm going.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:38 AM
mapitts
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Enochius
Everything that I've read puts the MGW head and shoulders above the rest. That's definitely the way I'm going.
^^This. I have one and it is king of them all.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:49 PM
natedog
3rd Gear Member

Get a Boss shift **** as well. Even though it does nothing for the throw, it feels so much better to shift than the stock GT one.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:13 PM
5.0Yeah!
1st Gear Member

I say that the Hurst is always a good step up, and I have used B&M on vehicles in the past, but I do not know how good it is in the 2011 5.0.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:31 AM
Black Fire
1st Gear Member

When you can't except anything but the best, MGW !
Old 05-12-2013, 03:32 PM
Boaisy
1st Gear Member

When I bought mine, the previous owner left the Barton lower bracket (not the "two-post") and Steeda Tri-Ax in it. I replaced the Steeda with the Barton because the spring in the Steeda would become weak after a few continuous runs at TnT or Autocross. I would have to pull up to shift into 1st/2nd. You would have to let the car cool off for a while, which isn't cool on track days.

NOTE: The previous owner did tell me that he had put in the softer spring in the Steeda (Steeda gives you two springs to put in it), though he lost the stiffer one. He went with the soft one because he had trouble getting into reverse.

Still I have no complaints with the Barton setup. Very crisp shifts, and I always know that I'm in the gears when I'm shifting. Barton has the best reduction in throw, and the lockout spring is stiff. However, having a stiff spring is worth it so you don't end up with situations like I had with the Steeda.

Last edited by Boaisy; 05-12-2013 at 03:58 PM.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:28 AM
derboesekoenig
1st Gear Member

Have heard nothing but amazing things about MGW. I'm about to order one myself.

Quick Reply: Manual shifter upgrades