Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Possible MT-82 Issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 02:34 AM
5.0Yeah!
1st Gear Member

The dealership should have given you a loaner car, and I checked out the transmission and could not find an inspection plate. If there is one, than it would be near the bellhousing where the engine and transmission mate.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:47 AM
P51C
2nd Gear Member

There just isn't one because nobody wants to compromise the strength of the bellhousing so they can put a window in. Issues with the clutch usually quickly reveal themselves in poor shifting performance anyway. The clutch will last 40+ thousand miles on a regularly driven car so, regular inspections aren't necessary. Plus, even with a window, you couldn't see what is relevant anyway, as that is the friction surface of the flywheel, the meat left on the clutch plate or the condition of the pressure plate face. All are sandwiched together invisible to the outside. You could see the PP bolts but, that is not a normal issue.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:30 AM
Slowbra302
2nd Gear Member

Eh, I mean the noise does Not exist with any other tunes then the cammed tune. One o the reps just offered to listen to it with the cammed tune on and just said I had really acute hearing and that it was super feint. They can't touch the car with that tune, so I would have to wait until/if it gets worse. My buddy loaded up a cammed tune as well, identical car minus the premium package and he has the same feint rattle. I can only hear t with my gt500 mufflers on, not my outlaws and windows have to be up and everything off. It has to be the clutch honestly, the second I start depressing the pedal the noise stops completely. Maybe it's the TOB? I don't know. Either way, I am going to wait until the clutch blows up then get a new one and new parts
Old 05-15-2013, 08:14 AM
P51C
2nd Gear Member

Tells you what you need to do:

Dump the cam tune and have the car run normally at idle.

The whole cam tune w/o cams is, to me, the same as sticker package "performance" cars back in the 70s. All tinsel, no substance.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:33 PM
Slowbra302
2nd Gear Member

Well I am going to keep this short and sweet as I am doing this from my iPhone. Last night taking my son home from daycare with conservative acceleration in 4th getting onto the interstate, had a loud pop and mass grinding from the transmission. Clutch is spongey on the back end of the throw. Car seats all gear but grinds when trying to engage. Car is towed to a dealer so if the come back and say its the clutch it's upgrade time and if it is the trans, well lets hope they warranty it.

13,561.5 miles driven. Wish me luck. Once everything is ironed out will update!!!
Old 05-16-2013, 08:28 AM
P51C
2nd Gear Member

Guess it wasn't the cam tune then...good luck: Clutch and other wear items like brake pads is warrantable 1 year.
X (fingers crossed)
Old 05-16-2013, 10:21 AM
Slowbra302
2nd Gear Member

Smile

Originally Posted by P51C
Guess it wasn't the cam tune then...good luck: Clutch and other wear items like brake pads is warrantable 1 year.
X (fingers crossed)
Well according to the dealer, clutch (consumables) are covered under zero warranty unless its a manufacturers defect. This will be a short post as well but light is on the horizon...

Clutch disk "blew up" according to the dealer and this happened while I was driving in a gear so firs time for me. Immediately got towed from the dealer to a reputable transmission / drivetrain shop and they are getting me all setup with the following: new pilot bushing (bearing I assume??), new hydraulics and TOB, new pressure plate, resurfaced flywheel, a fabricated 6 flange puck style disc (made of multiple different compounds). Looks to be $1575 out the door parts and labor with a 1 year warranty.

He said he would take pictures of install and give me the stock parts. Kinda curious to see it as I beat the living sh** out of my car since the odometer read 21 miles lol.

Pictures to come hopefully by this weekend!!!

PS!!! Spoke to him about the rattling he knew it right away! He said it was from the input shaft. Apparently with how aggressive the lope is it is normal to have a slight rattle, hence why when I touch the clutch it stops. So multiple birds with one stone here.

Ill keep ya posted!!
Old 05-16-2013, 08:06 PM
ducatibrandon

I'm having a hard time understanding why this is not a warranty repair.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:55 PM
Slowbra302
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ducatibrandon
I'm having a hard time understanding why this is not a warranty repair.
If they had a warranty the was set to let's say 1 year 12k miles I would of blew it up before that mark and got a free clutch to milk it on. How about the amount of drivers that blow them up in the first 5000 seems like it happens far too much. I didn't realize this until the next morning driving my wife's car to work and I was behind this chick in a black 2012 v6 mustang and every time traffic moved she chirped he tires and bucked the car 2-3 times. I mean every time she moved!!!! Car stalled 4 times within 100 yards!!!! So I understand their mentality plus they didn't charge me for pullin the trans or the diagnostics which I should have been since it wasn't under warranty.

Not hard feelings. I beat the hell out of the stock clutch and looking forward to bigger better things. You gotta pay to play I reckon.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:44 AM
P51C
2nd Gear Member

you know what? I appreciate your forthright honesty and admission as to how you treat the car. Every one that slips a warranty claim past the dealer/Ford that is rooted in abuse makes getting warranty coverage for legitimate claims that much harder. I had a hell of a time convincing the dealer and Ford that my transmission that croaked in 3000 miles with zero abuse wasn't my fault.

If I light my clutch up at this stage 17 months in, I'll just pull it and install a better one myself. It's a two day driveway job, maximum, if you organize yourself; gotta love rear drive for ease in this area.

Quick Reply: Possible MT-82 Issue