Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Clutch Delay Valve on 2013s?

Old 12-29-2012, 04:22 PM
Maverick302
1st Gear Member

Question Clutch Delay Valve on 2013s?

Hi all,

I've recently took the plunge and traded up my 2011 GT/CS 6sd for a 2013 GT w/ 6sp that I ordered with everything I always wanted. I love the car, but have one annoying issue I'm trying to figure out.

The clutch engagement feels a little different than my GT/CS. The clutch in my GT/CS feels direct and normal which is the way I like it. However in the new GT, I can feel a difference in clutch engagement. It's more pronounced when I shift faster, typically when accelerating from a stop or turn. The clutch engagements changes from grabbing at the end of the pedal release to an abrupt grabbing point at the start of pedal release. As a result my clutch engagements during quick acceleration are not smooth.

I've had my car up on the lift, and didn't see any obvious valves on the clutch line. So I took it into Ford who could neither confirm or deny there is a delay valve and essentially said I don't know how to drive a manual transmission car.

Does anyone know if there is a delay valve on the 2013s? If there isn't one, anyone have recommendations on how to correct it? Bleed the clutch line?

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-29-2012, 10:54 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

Never heard of one. Don't know what application it would be useful for either. You might have gotten a sticky clutch/pedal assembly. Try taking it to a different dealer and explain the problem, and at the very least have them check if it was bled properly. Could just be air in the line like you said. Quick test, according to the ford shop manual, is put the transmission in 4th, then from a dead stop release the clutch normally. Should stall out without a fight. If it doesn't then there's a problem.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:33 AM
P51C
2nd Gear Member

No offense but, you don't know much about MT. A clutch "delay valve" would just smear the clutch over time.

What you are probably experiencing is the fact the clutch is tight and new and probably needs some break-in time.

You could have the dealer re-bleed the clutch line and make sure there's no air trapped in it. That's about a 10 minute job on the lift.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:11 PM
Maverick302
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by clowe1965
Never heard of one. Don't know what application it would be useful for either. You might have gotten a sticky clutch/pedal assembly. Try taking it to a different dealer and explain the problem, and at the very least have them check if it was bled properly. Could just be air in the line like you said. Quick test, according to the ford shop manual, is put the transmission in 4th, then from a dead stop release the clutch normally. Should stall out without a fight. If it doesn't then there's a problem.
Thanks for the reply and feedback clowe. I'll give the FSM recommended test a try and see about having another dealer take a look. I guess the worst case scenario, I will just make an appointment to have my mechanic bleed the clutch line.

A lot of European cars have these CDV installed. From what I've read they were implemented to assist drivers with a smoother engagement while helping to preserve the transmission from clutch dumps. But to no surprise, everyone hates them and removes them.

Thanks again!
Old 12-30-2012, 03:29 PM
Maverick302
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by P51C
No offense but, you don't know much about MT. A clutch "delay valve" would just smear the clutch over time.
BMW has been using clutch delay valves for a while now.
http://www.diymybmw.com/e46/clutch-d...ve-cdv-delete/

A quick google search will yield a ton of articles on how to remove them.

What you are probably experiencing is the fact the clutch is tight and new and probably needs some break-in time.
The observations of a new clutch versus what I'm seeing are different. I'm feeling inconsistent clutch engagement only when shifting fast which would be different. I'm at 6k miles and the symptoms persist.

You could have the dealer re-bleed the clutch line and make sure there's no air trapped in it. That's about a 10 minute job on the lift.
Sounds like this may be what I will end up having to do if I have no luck with at the dealer.

Thanks for the response/feedback P51C.

Last edited by Maverick302; 12-30-2012 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 12-30-2012, 07:43 PM
mapitts
3rd Gear Member

Could also be the hill assist feature coming into play. Holds the brakes for a couple of seconds before you start moving. Another thing is the fact that it is a hydraulic clutch. I have hated them since they came out. Sometimes the let out point feels like it is all over the place it seems to me. Been dealing with them for years and still hate them. You just do not get the same feel like you do with mechanical linkage IMHO. It is what it is though.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:28 AM
Slowbra302
2nd Gear Member

I have the same thing sometimes. The clutch is super picky. I notice if I don't pay attention to my clutch foot it will "bounce" when coming off the clutch. The last 2 inches of slack seem to be where the clutch grabs the most. I have just adapted to it. Haven't taken it in yet, think I should??
Old 12-31-2012, 06:00 AM
mapitts
3rd Gear Member

Another thing we are all dealing with here is a 2 piece drive shaft with a carrier bearing. That will cause wierd problems as well. Why in the world Ford went with that I also have no idea. That will cause drive line slack and bounce like crazy. At least a couple more moving parts to bounce around when starting off from a dead stop or when we come around a corner and go into 2nd or 3rd gear. Clunk goes the driveshaft.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:16 AM
awbreyjd
2nd Gear Member

or the stock clutch line. It is hard plastic and can swell with hear/spiritited driving. Put in a new braided steel line and the thing shifts smooth as butter at the same point everytime now.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:34 PM
Maverick302
1st Gear Member

Happy New Years Everyone!

Originally Posted by mapitts
Could also be the hill assist feature coming into play. Holds the brakes for a couple of seconds before you start moving.
I actually thought of the hill assist possibly being part of the problem when I first noticed it. Though I ruled it out as the symptoms consistently have only been noticible while in motion shifting quickly.

I agree purely mechanical clutch linkages gave the best feel for engagement. My 83 Trans Am had a manual linkage and was quite a work out. hehe...

Originally Posted by Slowbra302
I have the same thing sometimes. The clutch is super picky. I notice if I don't pay attention to my clutch foot it will "bounce" when coming off the clutch. The last 2 inches of slack seem to be where the clutch grabs the most. I have just adapted to it. Haven't taken it in yet, think I should??
I wouldn't make it a priority but if it's consistent and bothers you (as much as mine does) never hurts to at least have a look at it during your next visit for service. Especially considering our cars are still under warranty. In my case, my 2011 GT/CS felt great compared to my 2013 GT.

Thanks for the responses!

Regards,

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clutch Delay Valve on 2013s?