Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

MGW question

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 05:50 PM
mapitts
3rd Gear Member

Default MGW question

Stronly considering an MGW. Watched all the videos on ther website, and have searched all over this one and cannot come up with much of an answer. How much noiser is this shifter compared to the stock piece of crap that I have now? NVH I think is the right word I am looking for. I hate my stick in a bucket of grease / sloppy / stock shifter and the MGW looks to be a VERY well made replacement. At the same time I do not want to hear a loud gear whine that I have heard from some other short throws, although they do not seem to be replacing all that MGW is and really not for that much money to tell you the truth.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:04 PM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

i have an MGW on my '03 GT so i cant really compare it to your badass 5.0 but i can tell tell you that i love mine. Best STS ive worked with yet. I like it so much im considering putting one in my 2010gt. For mine, i have no gear whine, and its a very springy but nice short feeling shifter. You can adjust the height and throw which is definitly really cool. I recommend it personally
Old 10-24-2012, 06:15 PM
Mob Bomber
1st Gear Member

I have an MGW on my MT82 trans just like yours. There is the same amount of noise from the transmission, if not less, with stock shifter and MGW shifter. The MGW though give you dynamat and sound deadening foam to place underneath and on top of the stock stuff. As for NVH or whine from the gears caused by the shifter is none. The shifter is quite, smooth, and precise. I love having my shifter and wouldn't change it for anything. I have to say though that the actual transmission makes noise when shifting gears. Like I said earlier, that is just how the transmission is. You won't be disappointed if you decide to purchase the MGW IMO.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:39 PM
289ci
1st Gear Member

I also have the MGW and love it; there is some noise increase but not enough to offset the good that you get from the shifter
Old 10-25-2012, 07:42 PM
mapitts
3rd Gear Member

Yes, my wife approved the funding. Going to call MGW tomorrow and order or get in line. Looks like the best one made.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:52 PM
FlaPony
3rd Gear Member

I concur with the above statements, rock solid shifter. I waited almost a month to get mine from the time ordered to delivery.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:37 AM
mapitts
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by FlaPony
I concur with the above statements, rock solid shifter. I waited almost a month to get mine from the time ordered to delivery.
From what I can see they are a small DOD contract CNC machine shop that has also found something else to do to help ends meet. Slack time means shifter time ot OT if the back orders build up. Not a problem with me. Looks rock solid and quality takes time.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:04 AM
Black Fire
1st Gear Member

I've had my MGW for about 4 months now and it is awesome.
Positive feel, crisp upshifts and only slightly more NVH. Went to the Dragstrip last week and the shifter performed flawlessly.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:56 AM
mapitts
3rd Gear Member

There is a thread on this side about how to fix the MT82 shifter "slop". I think the best way is to remove the factory junk and put something else in. From what I have read, which is a bunch, the other short throws just take care of 1/2 the problem. MGW takes care of that and the other half. Ordered it today. They said it would be around 3 weeks.
Old 10-29-2012, 03:21 PM
allenmaty
1st Gear Member

Being very unhappy with my shifter, 2-3 is hit or miss (usually miss) at 6500-7000RPM. And when it doesn't go in, I really mean it does not go in until the rpm's drop to about 4-5KRPM! Otherwise, it works fine. I just turned over 8K miles on it.

So, I've been looking at the MGW also, and I am very impressed with the completeness of engineering and quality that went into this. It is one of the most expensive, but rightfully so considering all the work that went into this; therefore, I will need some time to put money aside for this... Christmas...err winter break, is coming up! Winter Break, so lame...

Quick Reply: MGW question