Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Rattling when warm/hot

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 12:53 PM
Code Vision
1st Gear Member

Default Rattling when warm/hot

Hey guys,

I'm having an issue where a slight rattling noise that's barely audible at startup (maybe not even audible at all, not sure if its in my head), and once the car is warmed up, it gets loud enough to hear inside...

With the windows down though, I can't really hear it.

This isn't my video, but its really close to what I'm hearing....the rattling part at least:

Has anyone had this issue? Last oil change was maybe 4 or 5 months ago at *gasp* Jiffy Lube....Since then I put on about 5k miles.

I KNOW I KNOW I KNOW, never again, but I'm not blaming them for this issue at all. I'm going to change the oil in a few days, ordered some Royal Purple and a filter. I really hope this helps, but in the meantime, has anyone had this problem? Could it be a cylinder issue?

Running a Bama 91 race Tune with these mods:

BBK Throttlebody
JLT CAI
Boss Manifold
Bassani Catback

It's been doing this for maybe two months I'm guessing, but the noise was so slight everyone was swearing it was in my head, that they couldn't hear it.

Warranty with Ford will be shot, so I hope this isn't going to be a hard lesson learned for me...
Old 05-13-2013, 02:53 PM
Slowbra302
2nd Gear Member

Just curious, manual or auto?
Old 05-13-2013, 03:09 PM
Code Vision
1st Gear Member

Its a manual. I haven't found any people who've solved the problem, but there seem to be plenty of folks who have the issue, or at least an issue that sounds like this one. The comments on forums and on YouTube seem to range from "mine does that, its driving me crazy!", to "dude its normal, just turn up your radio", to "I just gave up and sold my mustang".

I'm continuing to search but I've yet to find someone who seems to have repaired this problem with any success.
Old 05-13-2013, 03:14 PM
BleedinBlue
5th Gear Member

Can't watch the video now, but the way you describe it reminds me of the rattle in my Hurst. Have a short throw?
Old 05-13-2013, 05:25 PM
kingGingy5.0
1st Gear Member

I didnt hear anything that sounded wierd. It drives fine too ?? with no check engine light or any other wierd behavior I wouldnt worry. Watch some other videos of 5.0 engine knock, it will make you feel better.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:17 PM
Code Vision
1st Gear Member

Dropped it off at the dealer tonight. I don't know what I'm more afraid of....that they will tell me I need a new motor, or that they will find nothing at all, and then next week my motor blows up.

The guy who's video I linked, he says the guy who bought his car blew the motor a month later.

Life would be wonderful if I were just making something out of nothing. But the noise is loud enough that I think there might really be something wrong.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:07 PM
Code Vision
1st Gear Member

I spoke with the service manager over at the dealer, and he said they were able to identify the noise pretty quickly. Forgive me, I may be butchering this explanation, but the vernacular he used is greek to me.

He told me that the issue is a solenoid. He said that the intake I added to the car changes the vacuum pressure, but that this is not harmful or dangerous. Essentially the car is working fine.

The guy was really great. He was helpful, they got to my car very quickly, and he explained it a million times to me so that I could comprehend it (I think). And there is nothing I would be more pleased to hear than that I don’t need a new motor. But I am concerned that he is saying nothing is wrong at all. I fully explained that the sound is faint at startup, and louder as the car warms up. But he assured me it was fine.

Why am I not relieved? Well it’s just that the handful of videos I found that sound similar to my problem came with stories that ended badly, at least for the motor.

I guess I will just keep an eye on it for a few weeks, see if it gets worse, and bring it back if it does.

But for those of you who are knowledgeable on these matters, does what he said (or my interpretation of it) make sense? Have any of you had this kind of problem?
Old 05-26-2013, 08:41 AM
Minion
2nd Gear Member

I can hear it at 5:13, 5:19, 5:23, 5:48, 6:52, 6:55 (and plenty of other times too in that clip) mine makes that same exact noise at about the same RPM...maybe it does makes it "normal"?

I'm really curious what that rattling sound is, and if it really is ok. mine is also manual.

My car used to do that when it was cold..about 35* or lower. I did take it to the track a few times and it did spin a bearing (I doubt it was because of the track this happened but I thought I would mention it). I had my old motor replaced under warranty. But of course I don't want it happening again...and I still hear this sound from time to time.