Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Best Exhaust System

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 12:24 PM
CAV TOUGH

Default Best Exhaust System

I'm looking to upgrade my exhaust system.....headers to tips and I want to stay brand loyal for the whole system. I'm leaning towards long tubes and an o/r x pipe for that deep, mean sound and performance purposes.

I'm a DD and I'm not too concerned with staying inspection legal w/ a catted system as I'm in the military and will be moving out of the state in a year. Will this ball me up later down the road if I go with an o/r x pipe over high-flow cats?

Right now I'm looking at the Pypes Super Beast system and the JBA Power Pack O/R Ceramic system. I've seen a few guys mentioning Kooks and Stainless Works on here, but I'm not sure what they can bring to the table.

Let me know your thoughts....
Old 07-13-2013, 01:09 PM
kingGingy5.0
1st Gear Member

I have the pypes system. It sounds good and its cheaper then most. With that said you will be flipping a coin if it will bolt right up with no modification. I've seen a few guys who have the headers rub the steering shaft and have to mod a shimmy so it will sit further away. I didn't have this issue but, in the mid pipe the O2 sensor location is F'd up. The sensor points up resulting in collecting moisture and destroying your sensor, I had them plugged and relocated. The high flow cats are a waste of money, there not efficient enough so you will still throw a code. The last issue for me was the axle backs, the hangers wouldn't line up and would barley fit in the stock rubber gourmets. To straighten I had to pull the hangers off and relocated.
Old 07-13-2013, 01:09 PM
XEDES
2nd Gear Member

Maybe I'm wrong but the H pipe gives it that deep growl where the o/r X pipe gives it a more raspy note.
Old 07-13-2013, 01:10 PM
Falcon Fixer
2nd Gear Member

2011 GT 6m
Stainless Works long tubes with hi flow cats.
Stainless Works chambered cat back .
Steeda intake.
Custom dyno tune.

423 horse
389 tq

Sounds great.
Old 07-13-2013, 03:00 PM
Enochius
1st Gear Member

Bassani! You won't regret it.
Old 07-13-2013, 03:43 PM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

If you can afford it, Kooks LTs, and o/r x with borla stingers. If not look at a cheaper long tube and x pipe combo but i would still stick with borla as a cat back
Old 07-13-2013, 05:53 PM
OSUTX440
3rd Gear Member

I run Pypes Pype Bomb and a BBK X-pipe...great sound, ok quality, great price...the xpipe actually tones down the pype bombs. Like others have said, if you can afford LT, go with those. But the way I went allows you to modify as you go. My next plan is to add BBK cat deletes.

In short...I love my set up.
Old 07-13-2013, 06:53 PM
Warrio17
2nd Gear Member

Stainless Works!!! Seriously best hands down. YouTube it

Stainlessworks.net
Old 07-14-2013, 05:22 PM
CrzyHrs
2nd Gear Member

I've heard a lot of people like stainless works and if I had heard about them before I went with Kooks i would seriously have taken them into consideration. I went with the Kooks 1 7/8 headers (they are not considered long tube headers) and Kooks O/R X-pipe. I still have my resonators and I went with SLP Loudmouth axle-back. It's loud as **** and the drone is pretty is loud running right at 2000 RPM (if you have the windows down and the radio up you can't really notice it though). With all that said, I love the setup I have, but I'm considering going with a catback system to remove my resonators and putting a set of mufflers on it. Can't decide which system I want to go with though. ALso, installation is a pain in the ***. I would pay someone to do it before I installed them again. Anyways, there's my .02 cents on the subject. Good luck with your decision and I'm sure either way you go you'll enjoy it.
Old 07-14-2013, 07:03 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

Stainless works for headers. Being brand loyal limits you to SW, MBRP, Borla, or pypes. I'll second pypes for s*** quality with fitment. Zero fitment issues on four regional members SW setup, and two for the Kooks. As far as cats, I kept mine simply for noise control. Love my setup, you'll have a lot more options if you pick and choose components. The other benefit is weight reduction if you ditch the chambered mufflers for a pass through setup.

Quick Reply: Best Exhaust System