Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Front Brakes...

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 06:42 PM
Slowbra302
2nd Gear Member

Default Front Brakes...

Just rolled over 16k today and heard my first brake squeak. So it is time to go ahead and order and have some on hand. I cant replicate it every time and only very barely hear it (apparently i have acute hearing only when it pertains to my vehicle wearing/breaking).

I have brembo's so which brakes should i go with? Just looking for personal opinions with maybe a pro or con as to why.

As usual, thanks in advance =)
Old 07-19-2013, 10:27 PM
Ditty
2nd Gear Member

With 16K, I wouldn't even THINK about the brakes just yet. It's probably just a squeak from the piston/pad backing contact.

I just replaced my Brembo pads the past Wednesday, with just short of 50K on my car, the Stock Brembo pads had about 50% left. Of course I replaced them anyway since I had new pads and everything apart already.

Now, if you really want pads, I just installed Hawk Ceramic Pads from American Muscle. They were just under $130 for the pair with the 6% discount; ordered on Sunday evening and they were delivered via UPS on Wednesday morning. So far, the 'grip' from the Hawks is just a little better than stock and with 2 full days and about 150 miles on 'em, I've noticed ZERO brake dust. The stock pads would have the wheels COVERED in dust after a day.

I inquired at the dealership and they wanted something like $250 for stock Brembo pads and over $500 for the pads and install.

Install took me about 15 mins per wheel after I figured out how to knock the pins out. SUPER easy!

Last edited by Ditty; 07-19-2013 at 10:29 PM.
Old 07-21-2013, 11:54 AM
Slowbra302
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the input! I figured I am being overly worried about the squeak. But I think what I hate the most is the amount of dust lol. I wax my own car and I hate doig the wheels lol. Thanks for the input on the pads, can you like the exact ones you went with please?

Also AM has this new product that is front / rear pair pads and front / rear pair of drill/slotted rotors all for 400$. To good to be true?!?! Any thought?
Old 07-29-2013, 09:50 PM
Ditty
2nd Gear Member

These are the exact pads I installed.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/hawk-c...0711gt500.html

Also, take a look at your rear pads. I had my car in last week for the AC service and they replaced the rear pads for free. The inner pad on the driverside was down to the metal backing. They shipped them off to Ford for analysis b/c it is weird of just that one to be so low. All other pads on the rear had about 3/16ths left.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:40 PM
Stang-aholic
4th Gear Member

If your thinking of upgrading the front rotors go with powerslots if you want a nice upgrade w/o spending a ton of money. The slots don't actually help any nor deteriorate the pad any faster. slots and holes only help if you road race at which point the brakes get extremely hot and require additional cooling via the slots to remove excess gas build up between the pad and rotor allowing the pad to continually bite the rotor and not fight the gas being generated from the friction. Drilled holes were only put into rotors back in the day to decrease rotational mass, now adays they are mostly for looks.

Now if you want to invest more into looks and performance look at Baer eradispeed plus 2 rotors for the boss/brembo/gt500. It's a two piece drilled and slotted rotor, they also come just slotted not drilled, and they weighs in at about 5lbs a piece less than the stock 14" one piece rotor. The cheapest I found was at stage3performance for $610 shipped.

+1 too for hawk ceramic. They are quiet and little dust. Also they maintain performance after heavy use.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:51 PM
Uncoolron
1st Gear Member

I would recommend AKebono ceramic brake pads but I have not used one yet in my Mustang since it only has 10K+ miles on it and not sure if they make one for Mustang.

I use them in all my cars, previous and current because of near zero dusts characteristics, very quiet no squeaks hot or cold, works great on cold temps, great initial bite and progressive so less pedal power is required when braking hard, lastly very easy to modulate not other brands that has that on/off feel into it.