Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

13 track pack tune

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 05:29 PM
13pony
1st Gear Member

Default 13 track pack tune

I have a Ford issued custom tune on my '13 GT track pack car installed across the street from the dealership called Galpin Auto Sports. It's a legal tune according to them as it was downloaded from Ford directly. It came with the tune, a drop in filter for the cold air intake, and a set of stainless braided clutch cables. It allows for 60 pounds of torque at 1500 rpm, and moved the red line 500 rpm. Thats handy with the 373's. I was told there will be no issue with the warranty as long as I bring it to G.A.S first. I trust them, as they have been in business a long time. Anybody dyno'd this '13 track pack combo to see any actual HP and Torque benefit? I've had it a year now and love this car. I've had many mustangs and this one takes the cake.....
Old 07-21-2013, 07:48 PM
steel pony
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 13pony
I have a Ford issued custom tune on my '13 GT track pack car installed across the street from the dealership called Galpin Auto Sports. It's a legal tune according to them as it was downloaded from Ford directly. It came with the tune, a drop in filter for the cold air intake, and a set of stainless braided clutch cables. It allows for 60 pounds of torque at 1500 rpm, and moved the red line 500 rpm. Thats handy with the 373's. I was told there will be no issue with the warranty as long as I bring it to G.A.S first. I trust them, as they have been in business a long time. Anybody dyno'd this '13 track pack combo to see any actual HP and Torque benefit? I've had it a year now and love this car. I've had many mustangs and this one takes the cake.....
You might see a little more benefit from it being an SVT tune, but i'm going to guess you'll dyno about 380HP to the wheels.

The reason being is that you still are basically stock-engine wise-and the stock intake manifold starts falling on it's face about 6000 RPM.

For a comparison, here is a snapshot of my setup before & after

Before: Roush CAI, 3:73 gears, catback exhaust
After: Stainless Works LT Headers, JLT CAI, BOSS Intake Manifold, same gears and exhaust

This is a 4th gear pull to simulate 1/4mi numbers

Name:  Bandit_Dyno_4th_zps889b54ff.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  54.1 KB

This is the 5th gear pull...
Notice the difference in the top end. Above 6000RPM, the Boss intake just wants to keep going, the stock manifold just gives up. By 7000RPM, there's almost a 60HP difference
Name:  Bandit_Dyno_5th_zps413d5e5c.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  49.5 KB

Last edited by steel pony; 07-21-2013 at 07:51 PM.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:03 PM
13pony
1st Gear Member

Thanks, Man.....I went this way so I could have a little more fun til the warranty goes away. So even with a blower this thing will crap out at 6k? I live in cali so I have to be careful what we do. Boss manifolds are cheap around here, but got talked out of it cause of the weak low end torque. This a street car and will probably never track it. what do you think the headers do for you? I forgot to mention the magnaflow axle backs I put on....Thanks again!
Old 07-22-2013, 01:07 PM
TomKat
3rd Gear Member

headers wont fly in cali FYI
Old 07-22-2013, 02:19 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

13pony, yes the Boss Intake manifold does lose low end torque in favor of gaining some additional high RPM power. Unless you track it or use some upgraded cams to make up for the loss on the low end, it's a negative for a DD.

As for the Ford Procal tune, it's still pretty conservative compared to what the aftermarket tuners offer but, Ford can't wuss out citing the tune as a reason to void anything should you have any problems.

You can also search on Cali's CARB approved site for headers although I don't see anything for beyond the 4.6L. I think the reason is the last time Cali revised this list was 2010. Before the 5.0L was out. Contact Steeda since they appear to work more closely with newer stangs 05+.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermk...rmktdevice.php
Old 07-22-2013, 04:22 PM
scottmach
3rd Gear Member

You have lost your Ford warranty with the Pro Cal and now have it through Ford Racing. Two totally different companies. And the Pro Cal tune is ho hum at best.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:19 PM
13pony
1st Gear Member

yeah but, but what about the extra 60 lbs of torque at 1500 rpm? Is that b.s. too? Dammit, I don't have to smog it for 4 more years......what if I turn it into a full on Boss motor, minus the forged crank and stuff, I can call it a replacement motor? Do all the engines with blowers, headers you can buy at a ford dealer, you know the ones, not the shelbys but the Steedas and Saleens etc. pass smog here? Derf00 and all you others thanks so much, but I want to keep this going till I get it right!
Old 07-23-2013, 06:59 AM
steel pony
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 13pony
yeah but, but what about the extra 60 lbs of torque at 1500 rpm? Is that b.s. too? Dammit, I don't have to smog it for 4 more years......what if I turn it into a full on Boss motor, minus the forged crank and stuff, I can call it a replacement motor? Do all the engines with blowers, headers you can buy at a ford dealer, you know the ones, not the shelbys but the Steedas and Saleens etc. pass smog here? Derf00 and all you others thanks so much, but I want to keep this going till I get it right!
There are plenty of C.A.R.B. friendly superchargers out there...
You can slap that on and have all the horsepower you will need for a daily driver.
As far as the S/C fall on it's face @ 6000, that a completely different animal, since the blower replaces the intake manifold and would require a calibration tune...it wil give you solid performance thru the whole RPM band.
You should expect about 580RWHP with an entry level blower setup.

Personally, I wish i would have gone this route, but couldn't justify the $7-8K price tag...even tho i've passed that in appearance & upgrade mods now...lol.

As far as the BOSS intake losing low end power, i really don't feel it or notice it. These new 5.0's get into the power band so quick as it is, the loss is minimal and provides a nice kick in the pants every time i step into it.
Old 07-30-2013, 06:52 PM
13pony
1st Gear Member

Just got some news from Justin at Galpin Auto Sports. He says there is a new tune for the replacement Boss intake. They just got it, and now I gotta find out if it's worth it. He did say the warranty does go away though.....with the track pack, the only thing missing will be the forged bottom end......hmmmmmm! Don't know the price yet, he says they're doin' a lot of 'em....dammit, I'm old enough to know this never stops...what's wrong with me?
Old 07-30-2013, 07:09 PM
Shane780
1st Gear Member

Default Tuner

The Ford tune in my opinion is not worth it. My car came with the power pack tune, bought the car with 7k on it from the dealer. My dealership has a lifetime powertrain warranty on all there vehicles. Basicly the Ford warranty works like this. They will not warranty the part that you install, or if that part causes damage. There is TSB for 2011-2012 Mustangs and f-150's looking for aftermarket parts, and the TSB loops around to always identifying the aftermarket part as the problem, unless the IDS determines that the problem is unrelated. The TSB states itself that some tuners, (Diablo Intune) will not show up on the IDS. I would talk to your service department and try and work with them on modifying your Mustang most dealers work on a customer loyalty program, and they want you to buy your next Mustang from them too. It is in there interest to help you with your car.

Quick Reply: 13 track pack tune