Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Oil catch can question.

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 10:29 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Those are awesome! I love the return line so the caught oil can flow back to the oil pan.

Do they make these for the driver side too?
Where did you get these braided hoses?

Originally Posted by theACE
Noooo, you should have bought the Moroso catch can....with some new hoeses it looks awesome.

Old 08-26-2013, 10:32 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jerstysu
How are the jlt ones?
I too have the JLT cans, I love them.
My engine does not shoot up much oil so I don't have to empty them except once every 6000 miles or so. Even then, I only get only a very little in the can.

Old 08-27-2013, 11:14 AM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JIM5.0
My engine does not shoot up much oil so I don't have to empty them except once every 6000 miles or so. Even then, I only get only a very little in the can.
This is an interesting statement.

Are we to believe that your 5.0 Mustang does, in fact, burn less oil than the rest of the 5.0 Mustang driving world? Maybe the laws of physics cease to exist in your 5.0 Mustang? Is this a magic 5.0? Did you buy your 5.0 from the guy who sold Jack his beanstalk beans?

I'm kidding, I'm kidding. I couldn't resist paraphrasing "Vinny Gambini".

In all seriousness, have you checked the lines and intake tube after the catch cans? From what I have heard, the JLT catch cans are not as effective as UPR. You might think that your car is not pushing much oil past the PCV valves, but it might just be that your catch cans are not as effective and a lot of oil is still going into the intake. It might be worth taking a peek. Or try out a UPR can and see if there is a difference.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:58 PM
theACE
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JIM5.0
Those are awesome! I love the return line so the caught oil can flow back to the oil pan.

Do they make these for the driver side too?
Where did you get these braided hoses?
Yeah, I love this oil separator!

They don't officially make one for the drivers side, however their oil separator for 2010 GT would work for the drivers side of a 5.0.

I got the AN fitting and braided hose from Auto Air & Axle here in San Antonio. I went to 4 or 5 places buying different types of hoses to try and get this system to work without collapsing. Finally I called Auto Air & Axle, the owner told me to stop by. They were super busy, but the owner helped me out and then had one of his guys cut and install everything.

I think it was like 120 dollars for the hose, fittings, and install. Not bad!

Also, the Moroso catches more oil than the JLT, I had a JLT before...the hoses exploded at the connectors while driving. Ran without it for a month or two then bought the Moroso.

http://www.autoairandaxle.com/

Last edited by theACE; 08-27-2013 at 11:00 PM.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:02 PM
70monte
1st Gear Member

I finally installed my UPR catch can this evening on my 2014 GT. I bought two factory connectors that clip on to the PCV valve port and the intake port so that I didn't have to take apart my factory setup so I could re-install it if I needed to. I also bought some stiffer vacuum hose to replace the included hose. I mounted it where UPR recommends for my model of car but it sits almost against the valve cover and I don't know if the engine will actually hit it under torque. I don't think I can even unscrew the bottom of the can the way it sits now. I'm not sure if I'm comfortable with where it's at. I may have to install it next to the firewall using one of the existing holes up there where the little plastic bolts go through. I also installed a factory STB that I bought

Has anyone had any issues with the can mounted in UPR's suggested mounting location?

Wayne
Old 08-30-2013, 04:36 PM
70monte
1st Gear Member

Here are a couple of pictures of the install.

Wayne
Old 09-06-2013, 08:18 PM
70monte
1st Gear Member

My camera screwed up so I don't have any pictures but I opened up my catch can today because the screw on the bottom was slightly leaking so I pulled the screw out to put some Teflon tape on it but after only 257 miles, I had about a teaspoon of oil in the can. Seems like a lot of oil for not many miles. Is this what others are seeing?

Wayne
Old 09-07-2013, 01:05 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BrazenStang
This is an interesting statement.

Are we to believe that your 5.0 Mustang does, in fact, burn less oil than the rest of the 5.0 Mustang driving world? Maybe the laws of physics cease to exist in your 5.0 Mustang? Is this a magic 5.0? Did you buy your 5.0 from the guy who sold Jack his beanstalk beans?

I'm kidding, I'm kidding. I couldn't resist paraphrasing "Vinny Gambini".

In all seriousness, have you checked the lines and intake tube after the catch cans? From what I have heard, the JLT catch cans are not as effective as UPR. You might think that your car is not pushing much oil past the PCV valves, but it might just be that your catch cans are not as effective and a lot of oil is still going into the intake. It might be worth taking a peek. Or try out a UPR can and see if there is a difference.
I love the reference to My Cousin Vinny; great movie
Actually, I have over 40K miles on my Coyote now and I believe the engine being fully broken in has a great impact.
I will have to check the nozzles that the passenger side PCV hosing connects to. I cleaned it off thoroughly before adding my catch cans because it was darkened from the oil vapor and blow-by gases coming back up through the PCV system.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:02 PM
allenmaty
1st Gear Member

Got mine installed!

The hose is from McMasterCarr.com, part number 51135K46, you can get it in different colors! Cost me less than $20!

Last edited by allenmaty; 09-20-2013 at 08:07 PM.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:02 PM
70monte
1st Gear Member

That Moroso setup looks pretty nice. I like how it mounts better than my UPR setup. If I didn't already have the UPR, I would pick up the Moroso one.

Quick Reply: Oil catch can question.