Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

exhaust decisions on 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 04:58 PM
Slowbra302
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by xx10Gt
thats the answer i was looking for! the outlaws are straight thru resonators then right?

I have to run cats because of my state, but im sure kooks headers catted x and outlaws would sound great.
Oh yes with a longer header and cats it will sound mean! Pretty much it's 3 inch straight pipes to about a 4 inch diameter straight though muffler and 4 inch tips. I got mine shipped for 582 when they first came out (only speced for 11-12 and they fit my 13). Best money ever spent. Oh and if you get a set of cat deletes, they have the same ball socket connected as the midpipe for this cat back. Easy on and easy of for emissions. I don't care about Cali emissions and will pay he extra to "pass" when necessary. The power difference upon cat removal sold me. The sound was +++ lol
Old 08-25-2013, 05:03 PM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Slowbra302
Oh yes with a longer header and cats it will sound mean! Pretty much it's 3 inch straight pipes to about a 4 inch diameter straight though muffler and 4 inch tips. I got mine shipped for 582 when they first came out (only speced for 11-12 and they fit my 13). Best money ever spent. Oh and if you get a set of cat deletes, they have the same ball socket connected as the midpipe for this cat back. Easy on and easy of for emissions. I don't care about Cali emissions and will pay he extra to "pass" when necessary. The power difference upon cat removal sold me. The sound was +++ lol
awesome man, thanks for the help. its easy to change out the cats then with a set of deletes?
Old 08-25-2013, 05:08 PM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

even at that, was it really loud with the cats still on? im looking for something deep and LOUD.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:21 AM
Stage_3

even at that, was it really loud with the cats still on? im looking for something deep and LOUD.
I think you can find LOUD with a lot of combinations. The same brand axel backs will sound different from car to car unless your comparing apples to apples.

I have KOOKs, NO CATs, X-pipe, and all stock after the x-pipe. It is mild at idle, but when you get into it they know your there. My torque numbers are great for this setup. BTW--If I went with an H-pipe my exhaust would sound different also.

I have a brand new set of Roush's in the box that came with the car. I looked at em and they are OPEN from end to end. If I were to put those on the car, the car would be LOUD LOUD LOUD all the time! I don't need LOUD, I want street fast. :-)

If the car was 100% drag strip use, I would want the least restrictive exhaust possible as you want all the torque and horsepower around 4 to 7000 RPM. Would not care what it sounded like. Just the time going through the traps.

All depends on what you want. I drive mine on the street/stip and don't car to have every city cop pulling me over for noise complaints.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:14 AM
Slowbra302
2nd Gear Member

Double post sorry!

Last edited by Slowbra302; 08-26-2013 at 10:16 AM. Reason: DOUBLE POST, sorry
Old 08-26-2013, 10:15 AM
Slowbra302
2nd Gear Member

awesome man, thanks for the help. its easy to change out the cats then with a set of deletes?
2 bolts to connect each cat to the headers and 1 bolt for each clamp that connect the ball socket. Initially will take time, a few practices and you will find a method that makes it minutes . I have custom bolt on/off flowmaster outlaws and GT500 mufflers. Took me 50 minutes to swap them at first, now takes 20 minutes and no jacks lol. I think the power increase up top as worth the cat deletes!

Oh yes it is!! I got quite a few compliments before, just saying now it's at least 4-5 a week lol. Even had a cop tell me he could have ticketed me but it sounds like a muscle car should,lol. Start with catback I loved it for months, then heard the cam idle and wife bought me the cat deletes. No looking back lol
Old 08-26-2013, 12:59 PM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

haha i really wish i could run an o/r pipe all the time, it would make everything so much easier. I just always hated flows, but i think im gonna give the outlaws a try and see how it sounds!
Old 08-27-2013, 10:21 AM
Slowbra302
2nd Gear Member

haha i really wish i could run an o/r pipe all the time, it would make everything so much easier. I just always hated flows, but i think im gonna give the outlaws a try and see how it sounds!
I was in the same boat man. Always hated flowmasters. I took the plunge on a whim and i refuse to rock another type of muffler (except my gt500's for when the wife tells me too lol). My car is pretty illegal noise wise, idling at 95db. Think the legal max is 92.5db at 4000rpm.... oh well. Keep us posted!!!!
Old 08-27-2013, 12:41 PM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

oh for sure, i just need money now for everything.. thats always the problem. haha, thanks for the help!
Old 08-27-2013, 10:31 PM
Slowbra302
2nd Gear Member

oh for sure, i just need money now for everything.. thats always the problem. haha, thanks for the help!
I feel ya. Suspension is coming for me beginning of the year. Post up some videos when you get your exhaust!!! Did you check out my YouTube channel?

Quick Reply: exhaust decisions on 5.0