Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

1000+whp build

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 09:16 AM
mikeymike

So I found some older threads talking about the block limits being somewhere in the 650-700 whp but that was an older thread. Anybody know of any newer info?
Old 09-16-2013, 09:31 AM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mikeymike
Haha well we will only be competing in a straight line until he sees that I can only go straight then he will probably want to go to a track.

That would be a plan to go auto, don't get my wrong I love manual both my current cars are, but at this power and speed not many other options.

I am all about making something reliable so first thing I will be doing is forged everything, I read the rods are the first limiting factor for power increases. I will be going twin turbo because the lag will allow me to have a little bit more streetable car than a whipple.

Does anybody know the block limits?
A centrifugal like the paxton beefcake kit would probably work also and be streetable

http://www.teambeefcakeracing.com/bfckepaxton.html

I think the paxton can make over 1k hp with the right pully and tuning. ^ probably alot cheaper and easier to install than a twin turbo setup

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/g...s/viewall.html
'11 5.0L Four-VALVE DOHC
Base power on the Mustang's new standard V8 is 412 hp and 390 lb-ft at the flywheel. So far Burcham is making 750 hp at the wheels at 8,000 rpm on a stock motor with no problems. Svinicki says the engines have been very durable so far. Others aren't so fortunate.

Con rods break (600 to 650 hp): Expect the rods to still be a weak link. Overall strength appears to fall somewhere between the three-valve and the Shelby 5.4L four-valves. Although he's not yet broken any rods personally, Burcham has already received reports of some failures.

Piston disintegration (nitrous or high boost): The pistons remain hypereutectic, so don't expect them to last long under high boost or a big nitrous shot. On the other hand, special oil jets enhance pin oiling, making them marginally better than previous three-valve pistons.

Crankshaft: The new 5.0 motors now use forged cranks. No problems so far. Ti-VCT problems (more than 6,500 rpm): At present, Comp is leaning toward a kit to lock out the factory Ti-VCT (Twin-independent Variable Cam Timing) actuation when running serious cams.

Fuel system: On the new 52-psi fuel system, it may be harder to alter system pressure and delivery characteristics than before.
Block: With quality rods and good forged pistons, the Coyote's improved aluminum block can easily support 1,500 hp.
Read more: http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/g...#ixzz2f494XZAJ

In a straight line, if you can get traction, and if you have slicks and skinnies i think you could have a chance

Last edited by Andy13186; 09-16-2013 at 10:12 AM.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:42 AM
mikeymike

Originally Posted by Andy13186
A centrifugal like the paxton beefcake kit would probably work also and be more streetable than a kb with like 800 torque at 2k rpm

http://www.teambeefcakeracing.com/bfckepaxton.html

I think the paxton can make over 1k hp with the right pully and tuning. ^ probably alot cheaper and easier to install than a twin turbo setup

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/g...s/viewall.html
'11 5.0L Four-VALVE DOHC
Base power on the Mustang's new standard V8 is 412 hp and 390 lb-ft at the flywheel. So far Burcham is making 750 hp at the wheels at 8,000 rpm on a stock motor with no problems. Svinicki says the engines have been very durable so far. Others aren't so fortunate.

Con rods break (600 to 650 hp): Expect the rods to still be a weak link. Overall strength appears to fall somewhere between the three-valve and the Shelby 5.4L four-valves. Although he's not yet broken any rods personally, Burcham has already received reports of some failures.

Piston disintegration (nitrous or high boost): The pistons remain hypereutectic, so don't expect them to last long under high boost or a big nitrous shot. On the other hand, special oil jets enhance pin oiling, making them marginally better than previous three-valve pistons.

Crankshaft: The new 5.0 motors now use forged cranks. No problems so far. Ti-VCT problems (more than 6,500 rpm): At present, Comp is leaning toward a kit to lock out the factory Ti-VCT (Twin-independent Variable Cam Timing) actuation when running serious cams.

Fuel system: On the new 52-psi fuel system, it may be harder to alter system pressure and delivery characteristics than before.
Block: With quality rods and good forged pistons, the Coyote's improved aluminum block can easily support 1,500 hp.
Read more: http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/g...#ixzz2f494XZAJ

In a straight line, if you can get traction, and if you have slicks and skinnies i think you could have a chance
Thanks man that is a ton of great info!
Old 09-16-2013, 11:50 AM
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

u rekon one of these cars can handle all that power?

no fekin way dudes...just buy a vette
Old 09-16-2013, 12:17 PM
mikeymike

Originally Posted by Rudolph Hucker
u rekon one of these cars can handle all that power?

no fekin way dudes...just buy a vette
Wasn't sure. I keep getting a lot of conflicting info on what the coyote can hand. Clearly just about everything would have to be rebuilt. I hear anywhere from 700whp cracks the block to 1500whp, I am looking at the vette too but build prices for that are on par with the GTR anyway so might as well just get the GTR. Thats why I was looking at the Mustang and Camaro.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:17 PM
Rocket254
2nd Gear Member

You are going to want to go forged internals all the way. If your goal is to beat a gtr with american parts, why not pick up a 96-99 Viper GTS and put the largest sized Roe SC on it? Those are relatively cheap now and make hella power all day, reliably.

Any car with enough mullah can get to those power levels but I say you should at least look cool doing it. Can't say that it Pee Paw's Vette or that bloated Japanese thing. You can't outrun ugly...

Last edited by Rocket254; 09-16-2013 at 01:22 PM.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:58 PM
mikeymike

Originally Posted by Rocket254
You are going to want to go forged internals all the way. If your goal is to beat a gtr with american parts, why not pick up a 96-99 Viper GTS and put the largest sized Roe SC on it? Those are relatively cheap now and make hella power all day, reliably.

Any car with enough mullah can get to those power levels but I say you should at least look cool doing it. Can't say that it Pee Paw's Vette or that bloated Japanese thing. You can't outrun ugly...
Haha well I think the GTR looks pretty decent but I will look into the viper for sure that is actually a really good idea. I know they make insane numbers out of those things.
Old 09-16-2013, 02:39 PM
Deranged2013
1st Gear Member

MMR has a sleeved short block they build/sell that can handle any hp you want run. A paxton sc will get you upto and over 1000hp, JPCs single turbo kit or the Helion twin kit will get you over a1000 easy. You will also need a return style fuel system that is E85 safe. The coyote loves E85! The 6R80 does well with a Circle D stall. A drive shaft, welded axle tubes, BMR suspension, and some big and littles and you are into the low 9s and high 8s. Good luck with your build and keep us posted.
Old 09-16-2013, 02:47 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Just buy a Shelby 1000.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:01 PM
mikeymike

Originally Posted by wcgman
Just buy a Shelby 1000.
For 200k? haha I would rather have a fully built GTR making 1500 awhp that runs low 8s 1/4 for 50k less.

Quick Reply: 1000+whp build