Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Exhaust Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 05:20 PM
Dr429

Default Exhaust Help

So I've been looking for exhaust set ups for a 2012 GT and I have some questions.

What differentiates after cat, off road, cut & clamp, and catted. I know what a cat is, but i want to know what is the difference between the four (mainly the off road).

Also what would Roush ABs with an x-pipe sound like?

Finally, which x-pipe is the best?
Old 09-25-2013, 06:49 PM
ModBargains
Former Sponsor

Your best bet is to spend some time on the forums searching around. There are tons upon tons of exhaust threads already made on this specific topic, but this time I'd be happy to give you a heads up on what that all means.

Cat is obviously a catalytic converter. Off road pipes mean that the car is not street legal (meaning the catalytic converters are removed). Cut and clamp means that your factory exhaust needs to be cut, then the new system be clamped on (complete opposite of a bolt on exhaust system).

As far as telling you what the 'best system' will be, well that's totally dependent on what you think sounds good. What I think sounds good is likely not going to be the same as you or most customers out there we all have our preferences on how deep you want it etc...

Best bet is to search on youtube and listen to other guy's set ups to see what you think sounds best.
Old 09-26-2013, 07:09 AM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

Nice explanation by @ModBargains, and great recommendation to watch youtube clips.

Just to throw in my $.02. A catted x-pipe will make any aftermarket exhaust system louder. Make it an off-road, or catless x-pipe, and it will be louder than with cats. Be mindful of that when listening to youtube clips. You might love the sound, but hate the actual volume when installed on your car and you hear it in real-life.

The 5.0 can be VERY loud with just an axle-back exhaust. Mid-pipes take it to the next level. Personally, I love more noise, but its not for everyone. Have fun searching!
Old 09-26-2013, 01:30 PM
dcarlinf1
3rd Gear Member

Roush AB's and a off-road X pipe is extremely loud. I had that set up for a couple of weeks and had to throw the stock AB's back on because it was so loud and I like a loud car. If you are talking a catted X, then that would be totally different. My advice is to run an off-road X if you don't have emissions testing where you live and install a milder AB than the Roush. The GT500 AB would be a good choice.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:24 PM
Dr429

Originally Posted by BrazenStang
Nice explanation by @ModBargains, and great recommendation to watch youtube clips.

Just to throw in my $.02. A catted x-pipe will make any aftermarket exhaust system louder. Make it an off-road, or catless x-pipe, and it will be louder than with cats. Be mindful of that when listening to youtube clips. You might love the sound, but hate the actual volume when installed on your car and you hear it in real-life.

The 5.0 can be VERY loud with just an axle-back exhaust. Mid-pipes take it to the next level. Personally, I love more noise, but its not for everyone. Have fun searching!
Yea they sure are loud with ABs. Friend of mine has the Roush ABs on and they sound great. I'm like you where louder is better. I would need to hear Roush ABs+ an xpipe in person to make a decision. If it produces a heavy muscular sound then thats what im looking for.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:25 PM
Dr429

Originally Posted by dcarlinf1
Roush AB's and a off-road X pipe is extremely loud. I had that set up for a couple of weeks and had to throw the stock AB's back on because it was so loud and I like a loud car. If you are talking a catted X, then that would be totally different. My advice is to run an off-road X if you don't have emissions testing where you live and install a milder AB than the Roush. The GT500 AB would be a good choice.
Have heard just the roushes in person and i love them. Havent heard roush ABs+ xpipe in person yet.

When you have the roushs and the xpipe on what didnt you like about it? Was there drone? I dont mind it being extremely loud, but if theres heavy drone on the highway then thats not good.