Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Disappointed in Bama tune

Old 02-17-2014, 07:25 PM
jayed53
2nd Gear Member

So just as an update on this situation. I received a call promptly from a Bama tuner. I was not able to take additional data logs as of yet so have not gotten back in touch with them. I ended up just putting the stock tune back on with the stock air box and everything seems to be great so far. I am disappointed in the tune/intake as they are currently collecting dust in my garage. I have ordered several tunes since then thinking that it might be just a bad batch, but the same issue comes back. Like I said before though I've worked with the tuners there and sent in data logs, and they were prompt and courteous and sent revised tunes. The revised tunes appeared to fix it at low rpms, but at WOT is where the problem is. I feel that I shouldn't have to spend hours data logging a tune that should feel great as it is advertised. I have used AM tunes on my 06 GT and it ran great, so maybe its just that my car is an anomaly. I am also, as another poster in this thread has said, at a high altitude so im not sure if that matters. Just to be sure though I have asked the Bama team via email about altitude and they said it isn't an issue.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:29 PM
jayed53
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JFitz
Shell, Exxon or preferably Chevron 93 octane. I doubt it's a fuel issue. A slight ticking of the lifters is something that can happen when running $#!tty fuel on hot days. I switched to a 93 Brenspeed tune from an 87 (I forget the point of me asking for an 87) and it almost eliminated the problem. It is NOT a knock. Likely valve clatter. Think I'm going to schedule a dyno tune with Brenspeed to get it tuned perfect.

From what you're explaining, it sounds like you have an issue with the car running lean. Which means too much air/not enough fuel. It will do fine until it gets to upper RPM's and then trip a light and feel underpowered. Your engine derated at that point to save itself.

Check:

MAF sensor plugged in/clean/functioning properly. Check around few threads about cleaning a MAF sensor.

Breather tube from cam cover to intake is whole. (If the 5.0 has one. It's got to have a way to maintain crankcase pressure, but I'm a 4.6 guy.)

Intake tube is whole and not leaking at throttle body, filter, or in between.

Last and most obvious, ensure that Bama/Brenspeed/Steeda/WHOMEVER has the complete and correct list of ALL aftermarket go fast parts installed AND that they have the proper codes from your ECM if you have gotten a factory update at somepoint. My 06 had been reflashed at some point with updated protocols and that rendered my first set of Brenspeed tunes defunct. A simple phone call checked this, but you need to make sure your tuner knows whatever they need to know.

Part of that is your job, but what you really need is an experience tuner to ask the right questions.
Thanks for giving me some suggestions, man. I cleaned the MAF sensor, and ensured that all seals were tight. I also ensured that my list of mods and info were accurate. Also I don't know that it matters but anytime I plug in my tuner, I always grab the latest fw and tune revision...
Old 02-17-2014, 07:34 PM
jayed53
2nd Gear Member

Let me also be clear that I have spent thousands at AM for my mustangs over the years. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to my friends. I just feel that my tuner/cai combo was not at all what was advertised for MY car. I have no doubt that they are running perfect on countless other vehicles. Didn't want this thread to turn into a bash session against a company that I feel is among the best that I have dealt with for Mustang parts... I just want it to work as advertised lol.
Old 02-18-2014, 04:03 PM
scottmach
3rd Gear Member

I still don't understand while anyone would put up with a crappy tune. You could get a base tune from someone else that would be light years ahead of an Obama tune. Some had good luck in the past with Bama but what they don't know is the head tuner has since left the company.
Old 02-18-2014, 04:22 PM
shinerttu
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jayed53
Let me also be clear that I have spent thousands at AM for my mustangs over the years. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to my friends. I just feel that my tuner/cai combo was not at all what was advertised for MY car. I have no doubt that they are running perfect on countless other vehicles. Didn't want this thread to turn into a bash session against a company that I feel is among the best that I have dealt with for Mustang parts... I just want it to work as advertised lol.
I just want to second your opinion. I have had nothing but issues with my Bama tunes and it has been a disheartening experience. I don't know if its my car or what, but I'm seriously at the point where I am depressed with the performance and I don't even want to do anymore performance mods now (see how long that lasts). This experience is making me want to buy something like a Rousch so I don't have to "mod" my car for the performance I desire.

I'm at the point where maybe I am jaded but I am curious how many of you running tunes are actually getting knocking/pinging and you dont even realize it. I only have axle back exhaust and even then its very hard to hear the pinging. The only reason I believe I can hear is because it was very bad at first and now my ear is "trained" to hear it. Some of you guys running offroad exhaust I doubt could hear a pinging at WOT.

I have had my Mustang for 10 months now and have dropped about 3k so far, about 1.5k so far at Bama. Their service is great and everything else I have bought has been perfect. Again I don't mean to bash them because I WILL continue to do business with them. Their website is in a class of its own!
Old 02-18-2014, 10:08 PM
jayed53
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by shinerttu
I just want to second your opinion. I have had nothing but issues with my Bama tunes and it has been a disheartening experience. I don't know if its my car or what, but I'm seriously at the point where I am depressed with the performance and I don't even want to do anymore performance mods now (see how long that lasts). This experience is making me want to buy something like a Rousch so I don't have to "mod" my car for the performance I desire.

I'm at the point where maybe I am jaded but I am curious how many of you running tunes are actually getting knocking/pinging and you dont even realize it. I only have axle back exhaust and even then its very hard to hear the pinging. The only reason I believe I can hear is because it was very bad at first and now my ear is "trained" to hear it. Some of you guys running offroad exhaust I doubt could hear a pinging at WOT.

I have had my Mustang for 10 months now and have dropped about 3k so far, about 1.5k so far at Bama. Their service is great and everything else I have bought has been perfect. Again I don't mean to bash them because I WILL continue to do business with them. Their website is in a class of its own!
Yeah, they have been great, just can't seem to get their tunes to work on my car. I ordered a new set of tunes from them yesterday and this time I told them what tune revision I'm running and fw for my tuner just in case it makes a difference. I ended up having to immediately turn the car off because it started back firing and sputtering. I think I may just sell the combo, I've just had enough lol.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:11 PM
2k232
2nd Gear Member

This makes me feel a little uneasy, lol since I just ordered my tune tuner and intake from AM.com.... will post a update when it comes in tho.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:13 PM
jayed53
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by scottmach
I still don't understand while anyone would put up with a crappy tune. You could get a base tune from someone else that would be light years ahead of an Obama tune. Some had good luck in the past with Bama but what they don't know is the head tuner has since left the company.
Yea man I'm starting to believe you...I may consider getting it from a different tuner if I can find a good deal, I just don't want to drop all kinds of money just to have a bad experience again. Who do you recommend?
Old 02-18-2014, 10:16 PM
jayed53
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2k232
This makes me feel a little uneasy, lol since I just ordered my tune tuner and intake from AM.com.... will post a update when it comes in tho.
Yes please do...I'm interested to see how it runs on your car.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:17 PM
2k232
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jayed53
Yea man I'm starting to believe you...I may consider getting it from a different tuner if I can find a good deal, I just don't want to drop all kinds of money just to have a bad experience again. Who do you recommend?
If your really that unhappy with it there's no way to just return it? I've never had a problem with returning stuff to AM

And ive heard good things about brenspeed, Lund and a few ohers.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Disappointed in Bama tune