Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Driving in Winter...

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 03:53 PM
Jball001

Default Driving in Winter...

Since winter is approaching, I was wondering if you guys drive around in the snow? Also, if you do drive in the snow do you have winter tires? I'm about to go pick up a set of winter tires for my car and I just wanted your opinions on how the mustang handles in the winter.
Old 12-07-2013, 05:55 PM
P51C
2nd Gear Member

I drove my Brembo 2012 GT around all last winter, even at subzero without difficulty. only when there was a foot of snow on the road did I park it for a day or two. Since the Pzeros are dead now, I am putting Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3s which should be a lot more capable on slippery stuff.

it's just a regular rwd car; it does the expected things when low traction conditions are encountered.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:12 PM
JimC

I drove my 2006 year round in SE Michigan, with a 45 mile each way commute every day. Never had a problem and did it with the Pirelli Pzeros, no extra weight in the car. It really isn't that tough - when I got my license there were very few FWD cars, 4WD was also limited. So we had to get out and drive.

I've gone through some big blizzards and ice storms. Took me longer to get home some days, but that was true for everyone out that day.

I drove my 2013 all last year as well. This year it will sit more, but that is because my wife suggested getting a commuter car that is better on gas and to keep the mileage down on the 2013 (the 2006 had 203,000 on it when I sold it and the 2013 already has 41,000 on it).
Old 12-07-2013, 11:05 PM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

I am driving mine this year through the winter. I put 2 sandbags in the trunk and a set of Goodyear Winterforce tires on the rear for extra traction just incase its a slippy hill I have to stop on. We have been having Ice storms and I havnt had any issues yet. I hope this is the only winter I have to drive it though as i do get nervous not just for me but all the other idiots out there that may crash into me
Old 12-07-2013, 11:50 PM
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

looking underneath a mustang i would get it treated will some kinda protection to drive in winter.from what i can see rust will set in very easily.fords here fall to pieces in no time.
tbh unless mine had treatment i would never drive in winter..
worth thinking about lads if your gonna be keeping ya car for many years.
mine is not even gonna get driven in rain

picture taken yesterday morning
Name:  nastywinterday_zpsa95d5902.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  58.6 KB

Last edited by Rudolph Hucker; 12-08-2013 at 12:01 AM.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:12 AM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

A good set of winter tires are a must! I have a spare set of wheels/tires that I switch to in the winter. If possible, buy a separate set of wheels/tires that way you can make the switch quickly and easily yourself.

I put a rubbermaid bin of salt in the back, that way if I did get stuck I can throw down some grit and ice melt. I have had the same bucket of salt for 5 years, and have yet to use it but its better to be prepared than stuck.
Old 12-09-2013, 04:57 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

I did up until this year. I switched to Michelin Pilot AS Plus after the stock summer-onlys were done (after 15,000 miles). This is my daily driver, so I had to go with all seasons. Ive since purchased a new set of the brembo package wheels/tires off of a friend (with 0 miles), so I would have a summer set and winter set. A lot of cost up front, although buying my buddy's wheels cost less than getting the Michelin's..... but both sets will last longer for me.

Then... I realized my car already had 40,000 miles on it.. so, just recently, I bought a beater 2003 ZX2 to have as an extra car. The ZX2 is a piece of crap, but it was about 2 grand... and it has been really nice to have an extra car so far this winter with the ice/salt and all.

I'll drive the ZX2 most days, but will still take the stang on nice days. Having the AS tires on in the winter is nice as the Pirelli's are like hockey pucks below 50 degrees... the Michelins dont handle as well on turns when compared to the Pirellis.. but only when compared to 80 degrees and above in the summer.

My recommendation? See if you can get a summer and winter set. It obviously costs more.. but it works out better in the end. Best scenario, find a beater for 2 grand ...
Old 12-09-2013, 06:51 PM
jesse1125
2nd Gear Member

Buy a beater and keep the Mustang in the garage
Old 12-10-2013, 03:00 PM
Jball001

Originally Posted by BrazenStang
A good set of winter tires are a must! I have a spare set of wheels/tires that I switch to in the winter. If possible, buy a separate set of wheels/tires that way you can make the switch quickly and easily yourself.

I put a rubbermaid bin of salt in the back, that way if I did get stuck I can throw down some grit and ice melt. I have had the same bucket of salt for 5 years, and have yet to use it but its better to be prepared than stuck.
Wise man, I like the idea of have a bag of salt in the trunk
Old 12-10-2013, 03:01 PM
Jball001

Originally Posted by jesse1125
Buy a beater and keep the Mustang in the garage
Would buy another car but the insurance and stuff is out of my budget lol

Quick Reply: Driving in Winter...