Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

My First GT 5.0!!!

Old 12-08-2013, 08:07 PM
clayton.ferguson21

Talking My First GT 5.0!!!

Hello everybody! I am new to forums and a proud new owner of a 2014 GT 5.0! I am wanting to start with mods but have no idea where to start? I figured a cold air intake but which brand is best? I am not a street racer (yet), but have been driving for the military for over a decade. So I know what to do behind the wheel, but not sure how to get started on tuning mine. Any and all ideas would be much appreciated. I would like to see better gas mileage if that is an option with reprogramming the computer, or a chip... but all in all, i am just looking to have fun and turn heads. I hear glass packs are a blast from the past...Thanks guys and gals. Looking forward to your responses.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:25 PM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by clayton.ferguson21
Hello everybody! I am new to forums and a proud new owner of a 2014 GT 5.0! I am wanting to start with mods but have no idea where to start? I figured a cold air intake but which brand is best? I am not a street racer (yet), but have been driving for the military for over a decade. So I know what to do behind the wheel, but not sure how to get started on tuning mine. Any and all ideas would be much appreciated. I would like to see better gas mileage if that is an option with reprogramming the computer, or a chip... but all in all, i am just looking to have fun and turn heads. I hear glass packs are a blast from the past...Thanks guys and gals. Looking forward to your responses.
what rear end gears does yours have? if it doesnt have 373s, i find that the gearing of the mt 82 and 373s go hand in hand for acceleration. I wouldnt get a chip, get a handheld tuner. look into brenspeed, bama, etc. CAI is mostly for show but we all get them at some point.

you could also look into some suspension mods to put that power to the ground more effectively such as LCA's and lower her with some new springs. Some sticky tires out back would be good too. Full exhaust with longtubes with help the engine breathe better as well. Are you considering FI?
Old 12-09-2013, 01:57 AM
BairdGT
2nd Gear Member

Bama Tune 93 Race Tune will transform your car into a whole new beast! If you want better mileage then I would recommend using Bama's Performance Tune instead of the Race Tune.

If you want any increase from the CAI (stock is already a CAI) make sure its a larger diameter and that it doesn't have the a restricting plate, but you won't see any noticeable gain from a CAI without a tune.

If your gonna upgrade the power then I would definitely recommend atleast looking at getting some LCA's.. They are next on my list cause the stock Pirelli's just are not cutting it after the increase.

When it comes to brands that usually comes down to preference and you'll get people who will trash one and praise another.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:36 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

BairdGT's advice was solid.

CAI gains are marginal, but the gains from a tuner are serious! I added a UPR 93 Octane tune & x-pipe combo to my 5.0 and ran 12.2 @ 118 with VERY STIFF handling suspension and hard tires! I'm very happy with the tune.

http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-o...r-package.html

Of course, suspension is critical. Especially if it's a manual trans 5.0.

Here's what I recommend out back:

http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-c...-mount-11.html

http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-c...ushing-05.html
Old 12-09-2013, 11:37 PM
MustangVixenGT
2nd Gear Member

Honestly I have not seen a MPG difference between performance and the race. But yes get a CAI that requires a tune ones that don't make no difference.
Old 12-10-2013, 01:28 AM
BairdGT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MustangVixenGT
Honestly I have not seen a MPG difference between performance and the race. But yes get a CAI that requires a tune ones that don't make no difference.
I would agree for the most part especially if its mainly city or bumper to bumper traffic cause between street/performance/race I notice minimal difference but for long highway trips I notice a fair amount of difference.

These are approx averages and based on my vehicle and trips I make
City Race I see give or take 13.0 L/100km (18-19 mpg)
Hwy Race I see on average 11 L/100km (21 mpg)

City Perf on average 12-12.5 L/100km (19-20 mpg)
Hwy Perf on average 9-9.5 L/100km (25-26 mpg)
Old 12-12-2013, 07:57 AM
clayton.ferguson21

Smile Thannkyou all around

Wow! great responses and so fast! Thanks everybody. I am looking into these options as I have time before I go ahead and make the decisions. I love hearing about what everybody has to say and watching youtube videos of other stangs. I am not so big on the MPG's if its not a simple addition, however I want it to roar like the Beast it is. I love the rumble of American Muscle. Well, thanks again everyone. I look forward to learning more about Mustang Forums.
Old 12-12-2013, 03:42 PM
BairdGT
2nd Gear Member

I run the Roush Axlebacks with JBA O/R Xpipe and let me tell ya she roars lol
Old 12-12-2013, 10:11 PM
jb26port

I'm also contemplating a tuner. Curious as to which you decide on and how you like it.
Old 12-13-2013, 11:53 AM
etrigger

my advice would be to spend a little money on seat time if you really want fun. and if it comes down to money only for mods or seat time, id choose seat time. find your local NASA and SCCA clubs so you can drive and learn the car at the limit. you can get on a full track for as little as $250-400+ a helmet for a weekend, with an instructor. or if that is too much or risky for you, then dodge the cones, for ~ $30ish, youll never get out of second gear, but I gaurantee youll have shaky hands form adrenaline. Do that a couple times then start thinking about mods. that my $0.02

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My First GT 5.0!!!