Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

My First GT 5.0!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 10:03 AM
Minion
2nd Gear Member

If you want sound Roush Axleback exhaust for sure! That is what I have and it is still one of my favorite mods. Nothing like sitting at a light and someone pulls up to you and says "that sounds awesome" there are a million sound clips on youtube...just remember they will sound better in person install only takes about an hour. And for a couple hundred bucks you won't be disappointed.

Lower control arms are also a cheap way to keep traction. CAI/tune is also a good place to start. have fun!
Old 12-30-2013, 05:33 PM
Deranged2013
1st Gear Member

Stock CAI is really good so an aftermarket CAI will only give you small gains. If you insist on a CAI then the Airaid Parnelli Jones edition CAI would be your best option. I recommend full exhaust with long tube headers, preferably American Racing Headers and Kooks Catback. As for the tuning, I strongly suggest AED. Oh yeah, BMR Springs, LCAs and UCA with relocation brackets with be a great addition also.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:24 PM
MustangVixenGT
2nd Gear Member

So many people overlook Stainless Works longtubes and cat backs. They sound so sexy!
Old 12-31-2013, 07:49 AM
Deranged2013
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MustangVixenGT
So many people overlook Stainless Works longtubes and cat backs. They sound so sexy!
They do sound sexy. Best sounding exhaust I've ever heard on a 5.0. I ran the cat-backs on my last car. Only problem is the fitment. You really have to work at it to keep them from banging on the panhard bar brace. I had to cut and modify mine to get them to fit without interference and having them equal on tailpipe length. I also have heard many folks complain about the fitment of SW headers.

If it wasn't for the fitment, I'd definitely run SW cat-backs again. Truly the best sounding cat-backs.

OP, adding LT headers was probably my favorite mod. The sound is exotic and it's definitely a noticeable power difference.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:29 AM
MustangVixenGT
2nd Gear Member

Yeah they are big mine use to it it also. We just tack welded the hangers to keep them in place. Now they just rattle for a second when the cars cold.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:40 PM
dkpGTCS
2nd Gear Member

I might have JBA put a cat back system on mine soon. Talked to them about getting a bit more sound but I want minimal to no drone. I don't need loud, just more than the stocks have (or don't have). It's nice they are close enough to me that I can have them do it direct.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:19 AM
clayton.ferguson21

Default great idea

Originally Posted by etrigger
my advice would be to spend a little money on seat time if you really want fun. and if it comes down to money only for mods or seat time, id choose seat time. find your local NASA and SCCA clubs so you can drive and learn the car at the limit. you can get on a full track for as little as $250-400+ a helmet for a weekend, with an instructor. or if that is too much or risky for you, then dodge the cones, for ~ $30ish, youll never get out of second gear, but I gaurantee youll have shaky hands form adrenaline. Do that a couple times then start thinking about mods. that my $0.02
I am most definitely going to look into that. I have been overseas so long I forget all the great options we have back home. I have always wanted to do that. Did some driving courses while in the service that were a lot of fun and really informative.

To everyone else, thank you for the responses. So many options, and no idea which one to go for. I will keep you all updated as the mods come. I have narrowed it down to a BBK CAI or a K&N CAI, but not sure which one or tuner. I also am thinking to get a larger throttle body before the CAI, but not sure what other upgrades have to go with that. Fuel injectors, etc? any insight? My idea is to start small, then go bigger.

CAI, exhaust / headers, shocks, tuner, etc... good plan, or am i missing some steps. I am new to mod'ing vehicles. So any help goes a long way. Thanks guys