Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Long Tube Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 10:54 PM
Nickpatriotsfan

Default Long Tube Questions

Hi,

First post so sorry if anything is wrong. I purchased a 2013 GT last year and ever since day one have been constantly changing the exhaust trying to find what I'm looking for. As of now I have the factory manifolds and a borla S-type cutback in the car. I love the tone and know its insanely loud outside but it doesn't do it for me. I installed a set of cat deletes and it was the perfect volume i was looking for but i can't stand the raspy, "leaking" air sound they make (no leaks and just my opinion on the sound).

So basically what I'm wondering is, are Long tubes with a catted mid pipe the answer I'm looking for. Will i get enough volume out of the long tubes that it makes a difference while still running cats to eliminate the rasp.

Also, should long tubes be the answer, I don't care about power gains as much as i do sound, and i don't race the car so is it really worth dumping the extra money into kooks or arh, verses buying jab or BBK pipes. Sorry for the huge drawn out question and thanks for your help. Just can't feel confident enough in what I've gathered from reading other threads.
Old 12-15-2013, 06:15 AM
scottmach
3rd Gear Member

Here's my setup.
Old 01-13-2014, 01:53 PM
lindsay@borla
1st Gear Member

Hi Nickpatriotsfan,
Glad to hear you’re running our Borla S-Type exhaust! As I’m sure you’ve figured out from the various exhaust configurations you tried, sound is very subjective. As a general rule of thumb, long tube headers will add a deep base sound to your exhaust, but some rasp usually persists. Cats will usually cut down on some of that rasp, but will also quiet down the overall tone of the exhaust. There's definitely a balance between the two.

Internet videos are great, but there’s no substitute for in person sound, or a knowledgeable and experienced performance tuning shop technician. Try to find as many Mustangs with a variety of exhaust setups in your area. You can tell more from one ride-along than spending two hours on YouTube. If there are no Mustang clubs in your area, maybe a local shop can put you in touch with someone. While we don’t offer our long tube headers with cats, they can easily be added at a muffler or tuning shop. Best of luck finding the right setup for your ride!
Old 01-14-2014, 04:43 PM
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

I had a set of Borla S-types on my Boss with the open side pipes and it sounded ok. Wasnt as loud as my full exhaust 5.0. I then got a set of 1 7/8" kooks long tubes and their catted Boss H-pipe. The first time I fired it up I nearly **** myself. Car sounds like a racecar now. Ive got a set of over axle pipes to put on it but Im kinda scared to do it. Car attracts enough attention already.
Old 01-14-2014, 04:50 PM
ModBargains
Former Sponsor

Though it is loud, it's the exact set up I'm doing on my own car once I get it back. Long Tubes with the Borla S-type is one of the best sounds I've heard in a long time.

I'd say go for it! Let me know if we can help out!