Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

paxton vs roush

Old 09-10-2015, 12:18 PM
Thrashard340
2nd Gear Member

I just added a Whipple Stage 1 2.9 kit to mine a month ago. It whines, and it's one of the more aggressive kits with regards to the whine. But I actually like it. The Roush TVS kit is quiet...I believe all the TVS kits are quiet whereas the twin-screws like Whipple and Kenne Belle are noisier.

Agree with Modbargains above. You have a stated HP goal and the Paxton is probably the best bet for you.
Old 09-11-2015, 03:56 PM
Minion
2nd Gear Member

Good info...TVS is in the running for sure. And I confirmed with Beefcake that the Paxton wont boost unless its under load (that sucks) I assumed I could rev the motor at a light or on the highway (I have a manual) and build the boost up and then let off the clutch.
Old 09-12-2015, 09:43 AM
P51C
2nd Gear Member

think about this: Even if you wanted to build boost on the line, what's going to happen? You're just going to incinerate the tires the instant you let go. This is where a properly set up automatic is pretty impossible to beat.

You CAN build some boost on the line with a manual turbo or centri car. It's just REALLY hard on the clutch.

Now, you don't "build boost on the line" with a PD blower. You need to understand how these blowers work. A PD blower delivers a set amount of air for every given rpm, governed by the pulley size. A centri delivers its set max boost at redline and thus, everything under that is less than max boost. This is generally a little easier on the rotating assembly at the expense of feeling more peaky and less like a really big engine, if you understand me.
Old 09-19-2015, 05:33 PM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

I agree with p51, revving higher accomplishes the same thing as building boost at the line, your engine will be making more power at higher rpm even without boost, enough power to spin the tires, so the fact that you cant build boost without load is not of any concern as far as i know.

Last edited by Andy13186; 09-19-2015 at 05:39 PM.
Old 09-21-2015, 10:27 AM
Minion
2nd Gear Member

Good point...

Ive been watching my own driving style the past few days. I tend to stay under 4k RPM. that is actually about where I change gears. I need to consider that too...
Old 11-15-2015, 08:05 PM
skaarlaj

Just so there's no confusion, the centrifugal blower relies on rpm's to achieve boost, turbos rely on load. Twin screw and roots, or tvs roots just need the pedal to hit the floor, and the boost is there.

So if your at a stop light in a centrifugal boosted stang with a manual trans, if you rev it then dump the clutch, you'll have boost, but you will need some rpm's to be in boost. Turbo cars with manuals suck off the line from lag, from lack of load, there are exception of coarse.
Old 11-15-2015, 08:08 PM
skaarlaj

Turbo cars will usually shine in the hp department, but I've seen similar cars with substantial hp deficits beat up on turbo cars because of turbo lag, especially on manual transmission cars.
Old 11-16-2015, 08:32 AM
Minion
2nd Gear Member

Well, I've watched just about every youtube video (at least twice) and I have been researching this thing for about 2+ years now. Black Friday is just around the corner and I think Ill be doing the VMP stage 3. I can't see how I wouldn't be happy with any setup. But, considering how I drive and what is important to me...the TVS will be the way to go.
Old 11-16-2015, 11:53 AM
skaarlaj

I'm sure any kit for these cars is going to be pretty darn good, let us know how you like it!!
Old 11-16-2015, 03:39 PM
Minion
2nd Gear Member

I will for sure

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: paxton vs roush