Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

paxton vs roush

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 01:24 PM
Minion
2nd Gear Member

I can't believe I have been researching this for over a year now (off and on)

This week... I'm thinking Paxton. but, it changes almost daily..

Question... rolling at say 65mph and you stomp on it, what supercharger will get you going faster? looks like the TVS has more overall torque...will that do it? or, will it not matter because that torque is mostly there in the lower RPM's

I have a Manual.... wouldn't that make the whole instant torque thing a non issue? Having a manual I can always push in the clutch at any time (even at a stop light) and get my RPM's up. Seems to me that a centri supercharger would be a better fit on a manual; or at least it would have a nice advantage over an auto.

Thoughts?
Old 09-03-2015, 03:09 PM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

I think the paxton would be easier on the drivetrain for a manual car. Roush would probably blow out your transmission if you had good tires on. Upgrading transmission to a t56 magnum requires replacing clutch, flywheel, and driveshaft and would probably cost about 5000$.

Last edited by Andy13186; 09-05-2015 at 05:59 PM.
Old 09-04-2015, 08:22 AM
Minion
2nd Gear Member

I really didn't want to open up a situation where I will need supporting mod after supporting mod. I just found out about the High Output Paxton last night that can do 1000HP. that is really tempting.... mostly for bragging rights. and to make my way up the top ten list at my local drag strip. but, I didn't want to go down a road where I will need to spend thousands and thousands... I may need to find a horsepower goal and stick to that.
Old 09-04-2015, 09:55 AM
AKRA
1st Gear Member

Keep in mind that most of the companies that put these superchargers on production car and honor the factory warranty use the TVS. That is for a many reasons.

1. They last longer before failure.
2. They have by-pass systems that allow you to not have a load on the supercharger when driving normal.
3. They don't stress the other components (Motor & drive train) when driving normal.
4. Can still keep stock gas mileage when driving normal.
5. Get more torque street driving with out having to punish the you motor by running in the higher RPMs to get you desired output.

To me the twin screw just feels stronger when driving slightly aggressive.

This is the second Mustang I have had with the twin screw and I am very happy with the results.
Old 09-06-2015, 11:29 AM
P51C
2nd Gear Member

1. I challenge you to prove this with evidence of any kind.
2. Not really relevant at low boost levels
3. They actually do, because they load the motor at rpms where load is unexpected. Driving around normally puts no more load either way.
4. Actually true either way
5. This is true.

OEMs use TVS-style because there are not volume manufacturers of centri style blowers that can support OEM demand and, the installs are simpler because of no huge FMIC and piping to package.
Old 09-08-2015, 01:22 PM
Thrashard340
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Minion
I can't believe I have been researching this for over a year now (off and on)

This week... I'm thinking Paxton. but, it changes almost daily..

Question... rolling at say 65mph and you stomp on it, what supercharger will get you going faster? looks like the TVS has more overall torque...will that do it? or, will it not matter because that torque is mostly there in the lower RPM's

I have a Manual.... wouldn't that make the whole instant torque thing a non issue? Having a manual I can always push in the clutch at any time (even at a stop light) and get my RPM's up. Seems to me that a centri supercharger would be a better fit on a manual; or at least it would have a nice advantage over an auto.

Thoughts?
This is a loaded question. Both TVS and Centri will put you back in your seat when you floor it at 65.

And no matter which direction you choose, you will always have to consider supporting mods (i.e. clutch)
Old 09-09-2015, 07:57 AM
Minion
2nd Gear Member

Hey Thrashard... didn't mean to make a loaded question. Let me change it a little...

2 identical mustangs with the same mods, gears etc are rolling at 65mph. one has a paxton, the other has a Roush. Both floor it at the same exact time starting from the same RPM (say 4,000) what car will pull away from the other? ...hopefully guys get where I'm going with this.

I only found one video on youtube that had this race that was 2 cars pretty close... but the TVS did have an advantage (I think in pulley size)

I totally get Ill need supporting mods... building my stock motor to hold more HP down the road is also on this upgrade list. And this is part of my consideration....When both superchargers are putting out their max, I'm 99% sure the Paxton will tank out around 1000HP vs the TVS at around 850ish..
Old 09-09-2015, 08:52 AM
P51C
2nd Gear Member

In an imaginary world where we can remove all the uncontrolled variables like traction, reaction time, driveline loss variations, weather, engine temp, etc., it's still a driver's race. Edge right at tip in might go to the TVS but, the centri will be right there and CAN be more efficient at higher rpms, depending on boost level and tuning.

Bottom line, if you want big block feel....go turbo, J/K....

Seriously, if you want big block feel from an SC, the TVS will do that better. If you want something that drives around like stock and builds power in line with the factory power curve or, are planning a lot of time at high rpm: centri

This leave aside the cost factor, where centri wins if you've already got some supporting stuff like an SCT. This pushed my choice of centri, b/c due to where I live it would end up being thousands of dollars difference.
Old 09-09-2015, 09:55 AM
JimC

Originally Posted by Minion

Having a manual I can always push in the clutch at any time (even at a stop light) and get my RPM's up.
Thoughts?
I don't think you will be building boost on the centri sitting at a stoplight and bringing the revs up. I believe you won't build boost until the car is under load
Old 09-09-2015, 03:20 PM
Minion
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimC
I don't think you will be building boost on the centri sitting at a stoplight and bringing the revs up. I believe you won't build boost until the car is under load
I will have to research this.... if that is true, its a bit of a game changer. I would assume if the RPM's are up...it has to be building boost. Paxton/Vortech cars leave the line hard...not like they are a stock car and waiting to build boost before they get power. but, I could be wrong...

This is harder because I want the good points of both superchargers... but, being that the Paxton is less...I can use that money saved for upgraded shocks, light weight drive shaft, UCA, etc etc... all this stuff that will just make the car that much faster.

Quick Reply: paxton vs roush