Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Axle back exhausts

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 11:05 PM
Troponin
1st Gear Member

Default Axle back exhausts

Look looking around at what exhaust to possibly get. I don't want to get obnoxiously loud, and drone is not an issue with me. This is my garage kept weekend toy that I cruise around in.

That said, i am looking for something that brings out that 5.0 sound really nicely, not raspy, but just loud enough that everyone around is well aware that the car has some power. I don't want to have to floor it just to get enough sound to get noticed, but again, not obnoxiously loud that the police might pull me over while cruising around.

Any suggestions what I should look at? I was thinking the Roush mufflers might give me that, but I am reading that they are pretty quiet unless you're pushing it hard. It's a good price for quality mufflers too. Not sure what else to consider that might get me closer to what I want without dropping almost $800, like for the Magnaflows. That's actually a disappointment, because I love magnaflow. It was always great performance and quality for an affordable price, then they come out with these and seem to be the most expensive on the market.

Thanks for the help!
Old 04-19-2014, 12:48 AM
cema93
2nd Gear Member

If you are not wanting it really loud but just an "authoritative" growl I think I know what you should do. I wouldn't change out the mid pipe. Keep your cats or at the very very most get high flow cats. Going with an offroad midpipe really opens up the volume. So you would indeed want to stick to axle backs exclusively.
Brands I would look at: MAC brand mufflers, corsa Sport axle back, and the borla S type (stingers)

MAC: I have these on my mustang. They r freaking sweet. Fit perfect. Look incredible (polished stainless steel). Fair price. Nice slanted rolled tips. Amazing sound. Nice deep and angry. Nothing ratty. Just deep grumble. I get compliments all the time. I still get tickled listening to my exhaust and I have had them for a year. Couldn't ask for anything better.

Corsa: this are good sounding mufflers. A bit on the pricey side but I have heard they have
Little drone

Borla: this r also on the pricy side but have a pretty good sound. Idk about drone or not.

But I will say again. After months of research and listening to clips, if I could do it all over again, I would still get the MAC mufflers. They sound AMAZING. And look just as good
Old 04-19-2014, 12:51 AM
cema93
2nd Gear Member

http://www.americanmuscle.com/mac-axle-back-1113gt.html

Read some of the reviews dude. I'm telling ya.
Old 04-19-2014, 01:48 PM
Troponin
1st Gear Member

Thanks Cema. You're right. I think out of all the mufflers I have listened to so far, based on the vids, it sounds the best. Especially this one!!

Old 04-19-2014, 03:23 PM
cema93
2nd Gear Member

Plz keep in mind though that the car in that video has LT headers and an Offroad x pipe (not cats). Those make quite a sound difference. X pipes usually tend to the raspy higher pitch races sound. H pipes tend towards deep grumble
Old 04-19-2014, 06:50 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

I have the Flowmaster 817496 axle-backs on my car. They do drone some, but they have a deep, booming sound without a lot of raspy blatting like some other mufflers. there is some of that Flowmaster "bark" but it mellows out when the cats get up to temp.

Last edited by jz78817; 04-19-2014 at 06:55 PM.
Old 04-19-2014, 07:17 PM
Troponin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cema93
Plz keep in mind though that the car in that video has LT headers and an Offroad x pipe (not cats). Those make quite a sound difference. X pipes usually tend to the raspy higher pitch races sound. H pipes tend towards deep grumble
Haha! I was kidding. It's also cammed!! Headers give exhausts that "tinny" sound which really sounds sweet. Add the cam to it, and it's sweet music.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:14 PM
cema93
2nd Gear Member

i agree. my car has stage 2 comp cams. the MACs really let the sound through. u can really hear the loping
Old 04-23-2014, 07:35 AM
AKRA
1st Gear Member

I have the Bassani Axle Backs and the have a deep throaty sound without any drone. I get complements all of the time.
Old 04-23-2014, 02:13 PM
dcarlinf1
3rd Gear Member

If you are keeping the cats, you have lots of options for axle-backs. But, if you are going with an off road setup, I recommend the GT500 axle-backs. They are cheaper than just about all others and they don't have the obnoxious sound like the Roush, for example.

I had Roush for 2 years and loved them. Until I went with an off road x pipe. That is just an insanely loud setup.

Quick Reply: Axle back exhausts