Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Stock air box vs k&n filter

Old 02-02-2014, 11:31 AM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Xann27
On this note, I run a 14 GT premium, and it has the stock CAI. i rounded 14k miles and did the service at Camelback Ford in Phoenix. they said i need to replace the filter asap, as Arizona air has TONS more dust in it (microscopic) than most other places in the U.S.. When I took the filter out, sure as snot the filter was brown and blotchy. Heres the issue I have. As the GT is mainly highway miles, 60 round trip per day, and i get about 24mpg, I replaced the filter with a WIX from Oriely. The guy there said K&N units on newer mustangs are very unwise. as the factory stuff is better. They didnt sell motorcraft units, so I snagged the WIX unit for $12. hell of a deal. after a few days i noticed the MPG dropped considerably. Im hovering around 20-21mpg. same driving style, cooler ambient temps as well. Whats the deal? should I kick the WIX and go with Motorcraft again? I enjoy having the 5.0 and getting 24mpg... but losing MPG is kinda painful.

Sounds to me like you've answered your own question.
Old 02-02-2014, 03:01 PM
miner999r
1st Gear Member

I think the factory air filter / intake is good enough on stock engines. Maybe if you are going to a built up motor with significantly more hp and air requirements would an aftermarket intake be noticeably beneficial. Just my opinion.
Old 02-02-2014, 04:09 PM
JAJ
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Xann27
On this note, I run a 14 GT premium, and it has the stock CAI. i rounded 14k miles and did the service at Camelback Ford in Phoenix. they said i need to replace the filter asap, as Arizona air has TONS more dust in it (microscopic) than most other places in the U.S.. When I took the filter out, sure as snot the filter was brown and blotchy. Heres the issue I have. As the GT is mainly highway miles, 60 round trip per day, and i get about 24mpg, I replaced the filter with a WIX from Oriely. The guy there said K&N units on newer mustangs are very unwise. as the factory stuff is better. They didnt sell motorcraft units, so I snagged the WIX unit for $12. hell of a deal. after a few days i noticed the MPG dropped considerably. Im hovering around 20-21mpg. same driving style, cooler ambient temps as well. Whats the deal? should I kick the WIX and go with Motorcraft again? I enjoy having the 5.0 and getting 24mpg... but losing MPG is kinda painful.

The ECU doesn't know or care what kind of filter you have, and it won't change any settings because of it. As MrSandman said, the stock airbox can deliver more air than the engine can use, and even if you put in a filter with different characteristics, the ECU compensates on the fly - mixtures and power don't change.

If you are getting poorer fuel economy, it isn't the filter that's causing it.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:45 PM
Xann27
1st Gear Member

I haven't changed the way I drive. Just the air filter. I guess I'll go for a motor craft unit tomorrow.