Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Twin Turbo V.S. Supercharged

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 10:34 PM
Hmannion96

Default Twin Turbo V.S. Supercharged

Hi, I have a 2011 Mustang GT Automatic. I am looking to go forced induction here pretty soon and i'm trying to decide what i should do. i'm trying to choose from a 2.8LC Kenne Bell supercharger or the Armageddon Twin Turbocharger System. I live in Colorado at higher elevation. I plan on getting 4.10 gears also. I'm just trying to decide which set up would be better. Thanks.
Old 01-29-2014, 01:37 AM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

First off, what are your goals? Street, drag, or road race car? Power level?

If you go the positive displacement supercharger (Kenne Bell), I would advise against the 4.10s due to the low end torque. And the same for the turbos with the top end torque, although with those sized turbos the 4.10s might be nice as you wait for the turbos to spool, but once they do, forget about it.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:53 PM
P51C
2nd Gear Member

Like looking at it in the driveway? Turbos. Like actually driving it places? Supercharged.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:08 PM
ModBargains
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by danzcool
First off, what are your goals? Street, drag, or road race car? Power level?
This is exactly what I would ask too. Let us know so we can better help out
Old 01-30-2014, 10:53 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by P51C
Like looking at it in the driveway? Turbos. Like actually driving it places? Supercharged.
I tend to agree with this, but I'd recommend a ProCharger.

http://www.uprproducts.com/procharge...g-p1sc-11.html
Old 02-06-2014, 05:15 PM
breathegood
2nd Gear Member

Where in Colorado are you located? DIY install or tuner? Who will be tuning it? Find a tuner before you make a purchase and discuss your goals with him. There are a couple really good tuners in the Denver area, and at least one that specializes in turbo builds (my car is with him getting a custom TT now). You don't want to just hand your car and a pile of parts to someone that isn't familiar with the setup. I would consider a mail order tune for a supercharger, but wouldn't even think about it for a twin turbo.

That Armageddon kit looks absolutely SICK, but I guess it better with a $10k price tag. IMO, it kind of looks like overkill unless you have a built motor to go with it. You definately won't see it under the hood of very many other Mustangs.

If you want to go turbo in CO, you might consider some smaller turbos to reduce any lag issues caused by our thin air.

If you choose to go with the PD blower, you might consider the next size smaller pulley. I have a 12psi pulley on my pickup, but only gets up to 10.5-11psi on a perfect, cool, humid morning. Usually 10-10.5psi is my max boost.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:20 AM
AKRA
1st Gear Member

The TVS twin screw supercharger is nice for a couple reasons. 1st you get a lot of low end torque and you keep it through out the RPM range. 2nd it has a by-pass set up so that when you drive normal you maintain the stock characteristics with out continuous wear on the motor or supercharger parts. If you have a daily driver that you want to be fast when you need it a twin screw is the way to go.

Good luck.
Old 02-13-2014, 02:42 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

Twin Turbo on the stock engine... I just haven't heard of too many lasting very long.

On the 3 valve I would have recommended a whipple or other positive displacement...

On these it's tough to say, I really don't have the experience, but I've seen great 1/4 mile times from prochargers and the rousch tvs blower, not from the kenne bell.

4.10s with a twinscrew I don't think is a problem, my friend had 4.10s with his KB and it wasn't an issue. I think people overthink that combo.

If you plan on going big with the twin turbos then save yourself some money and build up the engine now... a blown block isn't worth much.. a slightly used 5.0 is worth a lot more.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:16 AM
AKRA
1st Gear Member

The original Post was for a 2011 which is a 4 valve motor not a 3 valve motor. If you plan on a lot of boost these motors (above 10 psi) they all ready have forged rods and crank. You would just need to upgrade your pistons.
Old 02-20-2014, 05:30 PM
bryan67
2nd Gear Member

hmmm you would think the original poster would respond. after like 2 weeks. Guess he wasnt to serious either way. Really need to know the goal and driving styles and any other upgrades done or pending. To really give a good recommendation. And then you got the big question how much you really wanna spend$$$? ;-) Used to own a shop in Divide ,CO. did both turbos and some supercharger installs. If your serious about making HP at altitude check with Vasholtz Racing in Woodland park, Co.

Quick Reply: Twin Turbo V.S. Supercharged