Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

made an oil separator

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 12:39 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Default Just my thoughts..

Not saying you guys that are making your own catch cans are wrong. I guess I'm a little puzzled to see what people pay for mods that do literally nothing or are simply "bling" but refuse to spend the money for a product like the UPR can that is engineered to do a specific job, and do it very well. A good performing catch can, I believe, is a real benefit to your engine. Besides catching the oil that would otherwise end up in your intake system forming carbon deposits and those smoky start ups, it is made to pass the right amount of airflow so that your PCV system can operate as designed. Hey, to each his own, but I am sure my UPR can is the right tool for the job, and is well worth the price paid. Just my $.02 worth.
Old 02-10-2014, 01:29 PM
teepee542
2nd Gear Member

OP,

Nice work. I have a filter like this laying around that someone gave me for my air compressor. The only real difference I can see is mine is glass. I may give this a shot. I do have one question. When I look a the picture of yours I see an arrow (Triangle) on the top pointing towards the PCV side. Isn't that the airflow direction and wouldn't that be backwards? Not saying yours is wrong but I want to make sure I understand before I try it.
Old 02-14-2014, 03:38 PM
70monte
1st Gear Member

Looks good. What is the capacity of it? That would be my only problem with using something like that. As much oil as I was getting in my UPR can, I would be emptying your home made can all of the time.

I originally had the UPR can on my 14 GT which caught a lot of oil but was still letting oil into the output hose all the way to the intake connector. I did like that it had a large capacity.

I'm now running a Bob's oil catch can and will see how it performs whenever this winter weather goes away and I can start driving the car again. I don't think the capacity will be as large as the UPR can though.

Wayne
Old 02-15-2014, 06:07 AM
scottmach
3rd Gear Member

Breathers. Zero chance of oil getting into the intake.
Attached Thumbnails made an oil separator-jpc-breather.jpg  
Old 02-15-2014, 08:24 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by 05xrunner
i just looked on youtube
A plethora of great ideas are on YouTube...

Like WikiPedia on steroids...

Old 02-17-2014, 08:57 AM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by teepee542
OP,

Nice work. I have a filter like this laying around that someone gave me for my air compressor. The only real difference I can see is mine is glass. I may give this a shot. I do have one question. When I look a the picture of yours I see an arrow (Triangle) on the top pointing towards the PCV side. Isn't that the airflow direction and wouldn't that be backwards? Not saying yours is wrong but I want to make sure I understand before I try it.
it doesnt really matter with this thing. after I put on the hose barbs for connections. I blew into the unit from both sides and there is no restriction going i from either side so i just put it as arrow facing towards the intake since oil will be coming out of the heads. but I cant see it making any difference as its free flowing either way. as far as volume I would guess about 2oz

as for 157db just continue in your world of you know everything and get lost already. You obviously think no matter what you say is wrong even when you are proven wrong you continue in your little dim witted head your right on everything.
Old 08-23-2014, 10:07 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by 05xrunner
i wanted the JLT i just couldnt get myself to pay the price..
You gotta pay to play....
Either do it right or go home...

Old 08-25-2014, 01:07 PM
Gary Ugarek
4th Gear Member

OP nice job on a DIY separator.

I wish I had the patience for something like that, I don't so I just buy ready made crap.

I throw a fit when a caliper bolt is stubborn so if you can imagine what would happen if I tried to make my own separator... joy eh?

Nice job.
Old 08-28-2014, 03:25 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Looks good OP. We had a filter-less catch can on the Saleen that was just baffled in such a way as to separate the liquid from the air and that seemed to work.

Lots of drama in this thread too. 157dB I can appreciate the questions on the first page, but after that the posts didn't seem to do anything but flame the fires . . .