Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

2013 GT Manual Clutch / Transmission Clunk noises

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 12:06 AM
Xenon

Default 2013 GT Manual Clutch / Transmission Clunk noises

Hello,

I own a 2013 GT Convertible with a manual transmission and about 6500 Miles on it.
It is making very noticeable clunk sounds when accelerating and deccelarting on low rpm coming from the clutch / transmission / driveshaft area of the car. In general, the whole transmission is very noisy when shifting from 1st to 2nd and feels quite clunky.

Here`s a
of the issue

describing what I`m talking about. Noises start at around 17 seconds in - keep in mind that the clunk noises are much louder in person since I`ve recorded this on my phone attached to the windshield. I`ve brought the car into the dealership and they told me they couldn`t find anything and that the sound was normal. However, I`ve driven other various other manual cars that did not make these sounds and it`s very annoying when driving on parking lots and low rpms.

Is anyone else experiencing a similar issue? I`m going to try to bring it into a different dealership next week and have them take a look at it. Any help / advice would be appreciated.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:17 AM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

You are experiencing driveline slop. The noise is coming somewhere from your tranny, 2 piece driveshaft, and/or rear gears. It is most likely a combination of more than 1 thing probably resulting from the backlash that is built into the gears in the driveline. This is normal for a manual Mustang! Other, high end, automotive brands spend engineering time and money to eliminate the slop so that the driveline is forgiving and doesn't make that noise when decelerating/accelerating. BTW, the 2011+ mustang is MUCH better than some older Mustangs. My '02 had about twice the amount of driveline slop that my '12 has.

This has always been a part of life driving a mustang for me, and I have changed my driving technique so that I don't get that clunking when decelerating/accelerating.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:19 AM
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

tiss the way the manuals are..the manual gearboxes are junk imho
i'll never own another one for sure..i cant live with that clunking..going to auto was heaven for me..smooth as butter with no hint of noises
Old 02-07-2014, 12:42 PM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

I think you can change your driving style to not have this noise happen. I think some people call it bucking

just push clutch in so you dont switch from accellerating to decelerating with the engine engine at low speeds, or mabe try letting off the gas slower and getting back on it smoother. pretty sure all manual cars do this
Old 02-07-2014, 12:47 PM
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

i got 2 manuals here
neither do it..nore any other manual i've driven..
Old 02-07-2014, 01:03 PM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rudolph Hucker
i got 2 manuals here
neither do it..nore any other manual i've driven..
Huh? Didn't you say that you switched to auto? Are your manuals different brand of cars?
Old 02-08-2014, 10:20 AM
P51C
2nd Gear Member

Mine does this since returning from Ford rebuilding the MT82 that imploded, unannounced at 3500k. Basically, it's a drivearound thing. With a little smoothness and applying the gas a hair before clutch full engagement, the noise is eliminated. I certainly wasn't going to get into another re and re of the trans to chase around this noise. Mine's coming from the clutch itself though, for the most part, not the trans, though there are a few noises coming from that, on occasion. Lots of other MT sporty cars make similar noises, occasionally; I've had many over the 30+ years I've been racing and modding cars.

The MT82, since rebuilt, has seen over 100 full slick dragstrip passes without issue so, I don't think main strength is a problem. QC on outsourced parts like the main shaft bearing that caved on my car, are the issue.

the trans in Hucker's 2010 is a Tremec so, comparison's invalid.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:48 PM
Ahsvikings11@aim.com

Default Clutch noise

I wouldnt even waste my time taking it to the dealer. I had the same problem . I thought there was something wrong with my car but many other mustangs have the same problem. Its very commin. Very anoying i know , i hate that noise.
But i still love my GT .. Just very noisy cars!
Old 07-27-2014, 02:24 PM
mark_byers39
1st Gear Member

i just got a brand new 2014 yesterday and its the same way. its definitely drive line "slop" as its called. the biggest reason for that on these cars is the two piece driveshaft. i'm fairly certainly if you switch to a single piece most of that will go away. that's my plan at least