Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

What is the true fix for this gawdawful clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 03:54 PM
DPE
2nd Gear Member

Seems to be a number with no issues that have MY 2012. I'm curious, if any of you guys with NO issues who definitely shift at redline on occasion could do me a favor, please look at your clutch pedal assembly and tell me:

1. Is there an assist spring down along the arm of the pedal? (Should be 'yes' for everyone, but better ask)

2. Is there a spring or coil of some sort up at the pivot of the pedal (on the clutch pedal)?

I'm thinking that somewhere in the course of 2011-2014 perhaps there was an assist spring AND the conventional return spring up at the top of the pedal, and the combination actually works. Or I may be totally wrong and there's just production variance from car to car. Just trying to nail this down once and for all.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:28 AM
P51C
2nd Gear Member

2 coils on the main through rod and the helper spring below and next to the arm, like you describe, on my 2012. This is the same all the way through on these cars, AFAIK.

Here's something that may interest you and others, regarding adjusting the release point:

http://www.lethalperformance.com/sho...nt-system.html
Old 03-05-2014, 10:41 AM
DPE
2nd Gear Member

So you've got a coil on the pivot of the clutch pedal AND an assist spring. I most certainly do not have any kind of spring up at the pivot. I also noticed my assist spring is red, while others I have seen have been silver; may be no difference, may be that the red is a stouter spring which would make it worse? Perhaps we are getting somewhere....
Old 03-06-2014, 06:11 AM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by DPE
Seems to be a number with no issues that have MY 2012. I'm curious, if any of you guys with NO issues who definitely shift at redline on occasion could do me a favor, please look at your clutch pedal assembly and tell me:

1. Is there an assist spring down along the arm of the pedal? (Should be 'yes' for everyone, but better ask)

2. Is there a spring or coil of some sort up at the pivot of the pedal (on the clutch pedal)?

I'm thinking that somewhere in the course of 2011-2014 perhaps there was an assist spring AND the conventional return spring up at the top of the pedal, and the combination actually works. Or I may be totally wrong and there's just production variance from car to car. Just trying to nail this down once and for all.
Hey DPE, I have a 2012 GT. I have a coiled spring at the top of my clutch along with the assist spring. I hope this picture helps. The assist spring is silver with a yellow paint mark on it if that helps any.

[IMG][/IMG]

http://i1313.photobucket.com/albums/...g?t=1394107635
Old 03-06-2014, 10:24 AM
DPE
2nd Gear Member

Nice; thanks for posting the pic. One definite difference, then, between what I've got and what two guys with properly functioning clutch pedals have is that spring up at the top on the pivot. There's nothing there on mine. And my assist spring is red, which may not mean a thing or it may mean a different assist spring rate compared to your silver one?

So the next question would be if they updated the clutch pedal assembly to what I have and that's all you can get now, or if there are different part numbers between 2012 and 2014? And then whether a guy would want a 2012 GT assembly or just to go with the 2011 GT500 assembly? Lethal stated in their video that a 2011 GT500 assembly is the fix, but I have yet to see anyone post that they installed such assembly on a GT and it went in perfectly and works just right. I would generally trust Lethal if I called and they told me it would work, but as they sell the part I just like to see a little outside verification. That, and the GT500 of course runs a totally different clutch and trans than a GT, which may mean nothing for the pedals but then again it may.

A little progress anyway.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:15 PM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

What about '14 GTs? We know that the '12 has a different set-up than your '14, but is it just a mistake? Its not likely but maybe it should have the top spring and it was missed during assembly?
Old 03-10-2014, 05:14 PM
bryan67
2nd Gear Member

ill take a look on mine this weekend got a 14 myself. Ill take pics too. Sorry just cant get to it til Friday. work 12 hr shifts next few days.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:43 PM
J95SNAKE
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BrazenStang
Hey DPE, I have a 2012 GT. I have a coiled spring at the top of my clutch along with the assist spring. I hope this picture helps. The assist spring is silver with a yellow paint mark on it if that helps any.

[IMG][/IMG]

http://i1313.photobucket.com/albums/...g?t=1394107635
I have the same set up and my pedal sticks to the floor. I'll have to check my friend's Boss and see what he has. His sticks too.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:25 PM
DPE
2nd Gear Member

Snake, you ought to try removing the assist spring and then seeing if your pedal comes all the way back up given you have the pivot spring. It's easy to do, and is reversible if for some reason you didn't like it. Again, my wife drives my car without the assist spring and didn't even notice anything different.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:54 AM
J95SNAKE
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by DPE
Snake, you ought to try removing the assist spring and then seeing if your pedal comes all the way back up given you have the pivot spring. It's easy to do, and is reversible if for some reason you didn't like it. Again, my wife drives my car without the assist spring and didn't even notice anything different.
I thought about doing that but I have been too lazy to do it. I have an autocross this Sunday so maybe I will remove it and see what happens.

Quick Reply: What is the true fix for this gawdawful clutch?