Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Looking for Exhaust Options

Old 02-26-2014, 10:37 PM
VistaBlueGT/CS
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by shouldhavegottheGT
I've heard them on the GTs and they sound mean as hell but still no drone when cruising.
...sounds like just what I'm looking for - I hope to hear them in person soon!
Old 02-27-2014, 09:16 PM
Bretstang06
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Black Fire
Biffster you need to look at the Ford Racing GT500 axlebacks.
It's the factory muffler for the GT500 but sold aftermarket. I have them and in my honest opinion this is how the car should have sounded from the factory.
Good bark at start up, nice rumble at idle, quiet at cruise with no drone, nice burble on deceleration and aggressive tone when on throttle. And they bolt right up to the factory exhaust.
I agree with Black Fire.. I have the GT500 axlebacks on my '14 GT and they sound great.. Absolutely no drone and a great sound..

Below are a couple of quick videos I did right after the install. Have to make some new and better ones..

Last edited by Bretstang06; 02-27-2014 at 10:40 PM.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:59 PM
Biffster

Default GT500 mufflers sound like a winner.

Originally Posted by Bretstang06
I agree with Black Fire.. I have the GT500 axlebacks on my '14 GT and they sound great.. Absolutely no drone and a great sound..

Below are a couple of quick videos I did right after the install. Have to make some new and better ones..

2014 Mustang GT with GT500 exhaust - YouTube

2014 Mustang GT with GT500 exhaust startup - YouTube
Blackfire and Bretstang - You guys have a winner. I'm going to go with the GT500 mufflers. Bretstang's vids sealed the deal for me. Thanks so much for responding!
Old 03-01-2014, 05:19 PM
70monte
1st Gear Member

I have the Roush AB on my 14 GT and like it a lot. I also like the GT500's and would probably have bought them instead if I would have known about them when I ordered the Roush.

Wayne
Old 03-01-2014, 07:36 PM
Slammintone
1st Gear Member

I have the Roush AB and for the bucks it can't be beat. Its a true Mustang muscle sound. It gets even better when used with the Boss 302 quad exhaust from Ford Racing!!

Old 03-01-2014, 07:37 PM
Slammintone
1st Gear Member

This is fun!

Last edited by Slammintone; 03-01-2014 at 07:41 PM.
Old 03-02-2014, 12:13 PM
P51C
2nd Gear Member

just keep in mind it's easy to make a quiet exhaust louder but, you can't go the other way. The GT500s are about perfect for my old ears. 30 years in this hobby has taught me to buy one muffler quieter than the one you think you want.
Old 03-02-2014, 12:57 PM
Slammintone
1st Gear Member

Oh yes, the GT500s are an incredible choice for the Mustangs. Cant go wrong with Factory that's for sure. However the only GT500s I have heard were on a Boss 302 with the quad (side) exhausts. And that sound was phenominal IMO. True story: When I had my brand new 2010 Challenger R/T, man the sound was just as lame or worse than the factory 5.0s are. Worse in fact and totally weak. Having come from having a 2007 GT Stang with the Borla aggressive catback me and the wife were rather underwhelmed with the factory sounds of the R/T yet the missus didn't want to go too loud with all the drone and whatnot like we had before. So, I went to the local muffler shop, bought some performance Magnaflow axlebacks and had them put on for $450 out the door. The sound was better, just loud enough to start to appreciate the sound of the Hemi and what I'd hoped would make the wife happy. Well, she wasn't! She said she could hardly tell much difference from stock and I told her that that was what she wanted. She shakes her head and says "No, you gotta get this thing sounding a LOT meaner!" She didn't have to tell me twice. I went back to the shop, ordered the Magnaflow Competition Catback exhaust for that car and that made all the difference. It was much louder but still not quite as wild as the Borla exhaust on the '07. It was absolutely perfect for that car, deep, muscular and sweet. So, my advice for what it's worth, is if you do not want to go Nascar loud but still want louder than stock is choose carefully. The GT500 probably is perfect for that application but some of the Borla Touring and other mild mannered performance axlebacks may have you wishing you would have gone louder.
Old 03-04-2014, 12:54 PM
The Sheriff

I have GT500 axle backs, a JBA H-pipe, JPC over the axle pipes & I've dropped the resonators. For me this is a great set up. It doesn't anger the neighbors, yet barks at start up, sounds perfect at WOT & burbles when I'm coming down. I've heard a number of mustang exhaust systems, that are deafening & rather obnoxious just at idle. That is not for me, but brought joy to those who owned the cars. Like so many other things about our mustangs, it's very subjective & all a matter of your personal taste. Enjoy finding the exhaust note that's right for you.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:01 PM
steveofiveo

My vote is for ford racing x-pipe, no resonators and GT500 mufflers. Not to load, not to quiet/

ZERO DRONE

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Looking for Exhaust Options