Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

CAI or Tune First?

Old 03-15-2014, 06:43 AM
redCORTEX
1st Gear Member

Default CAI or Tune First?

Hey Guys,

So if I have any luck selling my AR at the gun show today I'll have some mod funds. Depending on how much I get, I'll likely end up having to choose between an AirRaid CAI or a Bama Tune.

Now I know the AirRaid has the insert that allows me to run it without a tune but I wanted your opinion on which to get first? I'm looking for the most bang for my buck between the two.

The question is would I see more HP(fun) from a CAI that's throttled back or a Bama Race Tune with stock Intake?

Is the stock intake even sufficient for a Race Tune?

I'm running a '14 GT with Track Pack on 3.55 ratio.

I was initially planning the CAI first because I'm familiar with them. I've never worked with a tuner but I don't suspect that will be an issue at all. I got to thinking the Tune might be better due to all the untapped potential it unlocks that's already there.

Either way it should only be a couple months before I can get the other item so not a huge deal.
Old 03-15-2014, 07:47 AM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

Save up and get both. A CAI without a tune is not going to net you anything noticeable and is a waste of time. A tuner, however, will make a dramatic improvement with or without the CAI. If you want the best bang for your buck, however, you buy them to complement each other.
Old 03-15-2014, 08:18 AM
redCORTEX
1st Gear Member

Thanks!

I will have both, just not today. You confirmed what I was thinking there. Tuner today - CAI in a couple months.
Old 03-15-2014, 08:22 AM
Black Fire
1st Gear Member

There are plenty of people making great power tuned with the factory CAI.
Don't waste your money !!
Old 03-15-2014, 08:26 AM
redCORTEX
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Black Fire
There are plenty of people making great power tuned with the factory CAI.
Don't waste your money !!
Craig - I agree to an extent, I mean Airflow = HP, right? I feel like especially since I'll be running a race tune, I should strive for the best breathing I can get.

Out of curiosity, where would you drop the $380? I miss the days of $150 CAI.. that's for sure.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:59 AM
scott9050

I went from 109.99 to 113.70 with just the Bama 93R tune with 3.31's and a 6M. Cat Deletes will get you more power than a CAI ever will, and the tune can be reconfigured to tune out the rear O2's.
Old 03-15-2014, 12:32 PM
P51C
2nd Gear Member

Airflow only = HP if the engine is demanding it and not getting it. I'm making a dragstrip dyno 439 flywheel horses on just a mild 91 octane tune so, 0 incentive to change out the factory CAI.
Old 03-15-2014, 02:30 PM
Black Fire
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by redCORTEX
Craig - I agree to an extent, I mean Airflow = HP, right? I feel like especially since I'll be running a race tune, I should strive for the best breathing I can get.

Out of curiosity, where would you drop the $380? I miss the days of $150 CAI.. that's for sure.
Suspension is where the money should go first (even before a tune) IMO.
Getting the power to the ground is everything. You would be surprised how fast how nimble and how composed a stock powered car can be with the right combination of suspension parts.
Fact is the stock CAI is sufficient enough to power the Boss and even the 302R race cars.
Old 03-15-2014, 06:08 PM
redCORTEX
1st Gear Member

Well, the good news is that you guys talked me out of the CAI.

The bad news two-fold:
1) I have no idea where to go after the tune (I feel like this is needed early)
2) While I was researching the suspension upgrades for the track pack, I found out that I don't have it after all, just the Brembo Brake Package. Heart-broken.

That's a story for another thread.

I do have upgraded springs, 131lbs front, 167lbs rear.
Also struts/shocks tuned for these springs.

Do I need more suspension than that? I've never modded a muscle car so not sure how it rates.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:32 AM
Black Fire
1st Gear Member

If you really plan on tracking the car the stock parts (even the Brembo/Track Pack) are not going to cut it. These cars are under sprung under damped and way under tired to be competitive. Ask Sam Strano he'll tell you.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CAI or Tune First?