Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

1st oil change

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 10:21 AM
joez3

Default 1st oil change

I have a 2013 GT that I brought new about 6 mo ago. I brought it into Ford for its 1st oil change. They said they won't change the oil because the car didn't have 5k miles on it yet. And if you change the oil before 5k on a 5.0 you will develop the engine tick. Has anyone else been told to hold off on changing the oil?
I am a school, change the oil on a new engine at 3k miles or 6 months. My oil monitor is at 40% so it thinks the oil is still good. On top of this I have road trip coming up and during that road trip I most likely hit 5k miles. Should I ignore Ford and change the oil now?
Old 03-25-2014, 11:46 AM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

I think I had changed my oil in my '06 GT 3 times by 5K miles. It now has 121K miles with no tick.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:30 PM
P51C
2nd Gear Member

And that relates to the price of tea in China how? It's a totally different engine.

OP has an 8 quart sump so, I would not worry about doing what they ask. Just make sure the oil level is ok, as these engines tend to burn some early in life.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:27 PM
conejo172
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by joez3
I have a 2013 GT that I brought new about 6 mo ago. I brought it into Ford for its 1st oil change. They said they won't change the oil because the car didn't have 5k miles on it yet. And if you change the oil before 5k on a 5.0 you will develop the engine tick. Has anyone else been told to hold off on changing the oil?
I am a school, change the oil on a new engine at 3k miles or 6 months. My oil monitor is at 40% so it thinks the oil is still good. On top of this I have road trip coming up and during that road trip I most likely hit 5k miles. Should I ignore Ford and change the oil now?
That is interesting that the dealership would tell you such a thing. My car has the intermittant tick (comes and goes as it pleases). I did my first oil change at 3500 miles and the tick first reared its ugly head somewhere around 6,000 miles. Has come and gone with oil changes throughout my 60,000 mile journey.
I have had it to the dealership 2x for this issue to no avail.

As far as I can tell it hasn't effected performance in anyway, but is kinda annoying when it comes back.

My opinion is change the oil now, you are not going to harm the car by changing the oil.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:00 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by joez3
WAAAAAATTTT? Never heard of 1) a dealer saying they won't change your oil when you tell them to and 2) a tick caused from changing your oil before a predetermined time frame.

I call B.S. on both. 1) It's money in their pocket. 2) Motor oil in the engine from the factory has nothing special in it. What it does have it any residual machining shavings or foreign matter from the building process. These engines are not built in a clean room so there is crap in there.

I have always changed the oil in a new car after the first 500-1000 miles and have had one last to over 200K, one over 120K before I sold it without any engine probs, and two currently that I own with 60K (6 years old) and 100K (7 years old), zero problems.

I would've asked them to explain how the oil change would cause an engine tick...unless they use the wrong oil.
Old 03-25-2014, 03:19 PM
scottmach
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Goldenpony
I think I had changed my oil in my '06 GT 3 times by 5K miles. It now has 121K miles with no tick.
But that's a 3V. It's not remotely the same thing.
Originally Posted by P51C
And that relates to the price of tea in China how? It's a totally different engine.

OP has an 8 quart sump so, I would not worry about doing what they ask. Just make sure the oil level is ok, as these engines tend to burn some early in life.
I agree.
Originally Posted by Derf00
WAAAAAATTTT? Never heard of 1) a dealer saying they won't change your oil when you tell them to and 2) a tick caused from changing your oil before a predetermined time frame.

I call B.S. on both. 1) It's money in their pocket. 2) Motor oil in the engine from the factory has nothing special in it. What it does have it any residual machining shavings or foreign matter from the building process. These engines are not built in a clean room so there is crap in there.

I have always changed the oil in a new car after the first 500-1000 miles and have had one last to over 200K, one over 120K before I sold it without any engine probs, and two currently that I own with 60K (6 years old) and 100K (7 years old), zero problems.

I would've asked them to explain how the oil change would cause an engine tick...unless they use the wrong oil.
Some 2011+ cars have developed a tick with early oil changes which is probably why the dealer is a little hesitant.

And the fact that YOU changed your oil early has no bearing on the original poster. These cars come 8 quart pans and there is no need to change the oil that early. I have never changed my oil early and have had cars last 100's of thousands of miles as well.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:47 PM
70monte
1st Gear Member

I bought my 14 GT in August of 13. It was built in February of 13. I just changed the oil in it for the first time a couple of weeks ago with a little over 4,700 miles on the car. I changed mine because the car and oil was a year old and the owner's manual says to change it by going by the OLM but don't exceed one year or 10,000 miles. My OLM said 43% when I changed it.

I used 5W-20 Motorcraft blend and a Motorcraft FL500s filter and don't have a "tick"

I waited to change mine for awhile because I have read all of the internet chatter about how if you change the oil too soon it might develop a "tick" and decided that it wouldn't hurt the engine to wait to change it.

If it makes you feel better, change the oil but I also wouldn't worry about waiting until you get back from your trip.

Wayne
Old 03-26-2014, 08:20 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Unless Ford isn't telling us that there's some special break-in oil they're using, then it shouldn't matter one bit. As far as anyone knows, there is no magic break-in oil used by Ford. The 4.6L and 4.0L came with Motorcraft blend; good for 7500k miles (although I'd consider 5k miles time to change it) and I believe the 5.0 was filled at the factory with the same blend.

That's your call. It wouldn't hurt to run that oil to 5k if you think there's any chance the dealerships info regarding the tick has any merit. Otherwise, change it yourself. I haven't allowed a shop to change the oil in any of the 12 or more cars I've owned for over 30 years.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:07 PM
PeteInFlorida
1st Gear Member

I had my oil changed after only 600 miles. I had the dealership do it, since they stated they would do 2 oil/oil filter changes for free. The service person told me the oil is not ready to change. I told the service person that I insist the oil and filter be changed since the engine is new. They did change my oil. I have always changed the initial first oil between 500-1000 miles. On my motorcycles I changed the oil within the first 200 miles. I was always surprised by how much metal glitter I could see in the oil as I was draining it for the first time.
That service person is definitely not a mechanic. It is important to do an early change on a fresh engine. As far as the engine developing a tick after changing the oil prematurely, that is a large load of BS!
Old 03-26-2014, 06:47 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

I had my oil changed after only 600 miles.
it's not 1956 anymore.

Quick Reply: 1st oil change