Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Axle back exhausts

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 10:46 PM
Biffster

I have to agree with dcarlinf1 above. I had the GT500 axle-backs put on about 2 months ago and absolutely love them. When I bought my mustang new, I thought it was just too quiet. I wanted a more aggressive sound, but I have zero tolerance for drone. Thanks to the folks on this site, i was directed to the GT500 option. You can see several vids on Youtube.

Now, with them mounted, the GT barks at start up and sounds fantastic when I get on it. At cruising speed, there is zero drone and it's nice and quite (inside). For me it was the perfect setup. Hope that helps.
Old 04-24-2014, 04:55 PM
WJBertrand
2nd Gear Member

I am really enjoying the Borla AB touring exhausts on mine. Just enough additional rumble without being obnoxiously loud. No drone either.
Old 04-30-2014, 11:44 PM
SterlingGrayTrackPack'14

Anyone ever try the BBK Varitune axle back? Thats what I am looking at right now. Tunable from mild to wild seems pretty cool, have a look.
http://www.americanmuscle.com/bbk-va...um-1114gt.html
Old 05-01-2014, 10:40 AM
tenfifteen
1st Gear Member

Borla S-Type/Stingers here. They're a little loud on cold start and idle, and definitely under full throttle, but are just rumbly at other times. Zero drone in my experience.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:50 AM
Mrbobcat
2nd Gear Member

From the videos, I like the Flowmaster Hushpower sound the best so far. Does anybody have one of theirs on their car for a review?
Old 05-01-2014, 02:42 PM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mrbobcat
From the videos, I like the Flowmaster Hushpower sound the best so far. Does anybody have one of theirs on their car for a review?
They are quiet. I don't have them, but a friend of mine has them. He switched them out for pypes bombs.

OP, For a good axleback that is not obnoxious I would go with the GT500. Killer sound, killer price, and won't get you pulled over for cruising.

Roush and flowmaster outlaws have amazing sound, but I would have to say too much noise based on your first post.
Old 05-01-2014, 02:49 PM
need4speed
Former Sponsor

Talking Hushpower's

Originally Posted by Mrbobcat
Hey man there is no wrong choice when you are trying to decide on which exhaust system to outfit your mustang with, these 5.0's sing no matter what you pair them with. All it boils down to is your preference on whether you want mean deep grumble, or a machine that you can hear screaming from a mile away.
Old 05-01-2014, 02:53 PM
rjstubbl
1st Gear Member

Another vote for the GT 500 exhaust. Great sound, no drone.
Old 05-01-2014, 03:13 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

I'd like some axleback exhaust, already have an off-road X-pipe. MAC boomtubes on my 2007 GT were awesome.

I have to hear exhaust in person, I don't trust videos. Not many people around here have 5.0s, and those that do, few have any modifications. I've heard a lot of people recommend GT500 exhaust, was hoping that MAC made a good axle-back for the 5.0 as they did for the 3-valve.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:09 AM
SterlingGrayTrackPack'14

So know one with BBK Varitunes yet??? Youtube only has the AM video and BBK's clip, but no personal videos that I have found.

Quick Reply: Axle back exhausts