Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

First time at the track

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 08:53 AM
Mazzabl

Default First time at the track

Hello, i tried posting this in the street/strip section but it would not let me. i guess my post count is too low? anyway, i went out to the local drag strip the other night for the first time in my 2012 mustang gt/cs, 6MT, 3.73's. the car is stock but has 275's in the rear(about 60% tread) on the stock wheels, other than that its bone stock down to the paper filter. im not all that experienced with drag racing so i didnt attempt any burn outs, which i suppose greatly hurt my times as i struggled bad for traction in every run. my first run was horrible, i actually drove straight threw the water box without doing a burn out, light went green and i slipped the clutch at 3000 rpms, spun all of 1st and 2nd, car started getting sideways, shifted 3rd and the car was still spinning and the rear end swung out so much i just about went into the next lane. needless to say it was my worst run of the night and pulled a 15.88 @ 105 with a 2.7 60'. 2nd run, i made it a point to go around the water box, light went green and i simply took off as i normally would leaving a stop light, then went full throttle, still spun 1st and second but gripped up better with no sideways action. managed a 13.334@111.57 with a 2.424 60'. this was one of my best runs for the night, as i had a few other poor runs where i got locked out of 3rd gear. my best time of the night was very close to my 13.334 run, i pulled a 13.331@108.21 with a 2.297 60', using the same launch technique(slow take off, then full throttle). im pretty disappointed with my runs as i was hoping to break into the 12's but it was my first time at the track. is there any advice on what i can do to better my times? i assume doing burnouts to warm up the tires will help so i suppose i should work on that. new tires are a must as well and i know suspension mods will help as i had bad wheel hop and the car had issues hooking up. but im more referring to launch technique. what is the best way to launch these cars? specifically with the 3.73's. i thought slipping the clutch at 3000 would yield good results but after my 1st run(i know water box was the key factor) i figured i would take it easy off the line. any advice is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Mazzabl; 04-20-2014 at 08:56 AM.
Old 04-20-2014, 03:05 PM
Lethaldosage423
4th Gear Member

the wheel hop and hook up issues are the reason i havent been to the track yet, im not experienced enough to keep the control.

I know an Upper control arm is a MUST
Check out this thread and watch the videos. its crazy:
https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l...on-issues.html

you will be amazed at how much the stock upper control arm is responsible for the wheel hop.

I ordered the whiteline one from americanmuscle.com. it was about $240 with the forum discount and free shipping. It should be here on tuesday, ill let ya know what i think.

i also plan on getting the white line adjustable lower control arms and re location brackets.
you can get cheeper stuff but ive never heard a bad thing about whiteline, and i love their unique bushings.

Doing a burnout will absolutley get you better tractoin, it will make the tires more sticky.
Ive been advised against running slicks due to fear of breaking something. im not sure what the stock axles can handle and i cant afford to break one.

once i get the stuff done in the rear, ill be getting the ST coilovers so im expecting a dramatic reduciton in wheel hop.

if your on a budget, id at least get an upper control arm. if your planning on keeping your stock ride height then you wont need adjustable. but i would for sure get the arm and bracket.
Old 04-20-2014, 06:36 PM
Mazzabl

Originally Posted by Lethaldosage423
the wheel hop and hook up issues are the reason i havent been to the track yet, im not experienced enough to keep the control.

I know an Upper control arm is a MUST
Check out this thread and watch the videos. its crazy:
https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l...on-issues.html

you will be amazed at how much the stock upper control arm is responsible for the wheel hop.

I ordered the whiteline one from americanmuscle.com. it was about $240 with the forum discount and free shipping. It should be here on tuesday, ill let ya know what i think.

i also plan on getting the white line adjustable lower control arms and re location brackets.
you can get cheeper stuff but ive never heard a bad thing about whiteline, and i love their unique bushings.

Doing a burnout will absolutley get you better tractoin, it will make the tires more sticky.
Ive been advised against running slicks due to fear of breaking something. im not sure what the stock axles can handle and i cant afford to break one.

once i get the stuff done in the rear, ill be getting the ST coilovers so im expecting a dramatic reduciton in wheel hop.

if your on a budget, id at least get an upper control arm. if your planning on keeping your stock ride height then you wont need adjustable. but i would for sure get the arm and bracket.
Thanks for the reply. I know suspension and better tires are a must, they're next on my to do list. I recently ordered an sct itsx tuner with some bama tunes which should be here sometime this week. I was just wondering what everyone is launching these cars at. I thought 3000 rpms would be a sweet spot but I guess it really doesn't matter what I launch at if my tires aren't warmed up(burn outs) and lack proper tread.
Old 04-20-2014, 06:57 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

The most important lesson here is that a bog is better than a spin. I slight bog will cost a few hundredths in the quarter, but nothing too serious. Wheelspin will ruin the pass. On 275/40-18 street tires and UPR suspension, I ran 12.20 @ 116 leaving around 4000rpms with some finesse on the clutch.

Name:  20111220_zps0a874ed2.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  96.8 KB
Old 04-20-2014, 07:11 PM
Mazzabl

Originally Posted by UPRSharad
The most important lesson here is that a bog is better than a spin. I slight bog will cost a few hundredths in the quarter, but nothing too serious. Wheelspin will ruin the pass. On 275/40-18 street tires and UPR suspension, I ran 12.20 @ 116 leaving around 4000rpms with some finesse on the clutch.

Looks like a good run. Was that palm beach international?
Old 04-25-2014, 04:55 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

You don't want to do a burnout on street tires, they just get greasy. You can give the tires a quick spin to clean off, but you don't want smoke or anything. burnouts are for drag radials/slicks. softer compound tires that heat up and grip. street tire rubber isn't designed to do that.

A lot more practice on the launch is likely what you need. DA also might be giving you slower times. I think the first time I went I did 13.1@112mph with a CAI+Tune only. but the DA was 5000'.

https://www.dragtimes.com/da-density...calculator.php

that website has tracks and weather info you can calculate what your DA was when you ran to see how bad it hurt your times. I would expect at this time of year though you'll have good weather. But it depends, could be dead of winter is best in FL. too much humidity and low pressure even on a cooler day can hurt the performance.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:12 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Mazzabl
Looks like a good run. Was that palm beach international?
Thanks. Yeah that was PBIR. Getting ready to go back, but with a ProCharger this time.