Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Pulled the trigger and now few questions

Old 04-26-2014, 12:36 AM
HRDWRK
1st Gear Member

Default Pulled the trigger and now few questions

Hi There:

I pulled the trigger and joined the Mustang family tonight by purchasing a 2014 premium silver GT with 3.73 rear gear, Brembo brake package and backup sensor. Now, I have few questions: the salesman was trying to sale me a 7 year, 70,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty and maintenance at $2300 a piece. maintenance is at 7500 miles interval and cover everything but Tires and alignment. It even covers the clutch and brake pads.
My question is what is the cost of major maintenance within the 70,000 mile?
Does is it worth the investment? I got a week from him to think about it.
Any advise would be appreciated.

Last edited by HRDWRK; 04-26-2014 at 07:05 AM.
Old 04-26-2014, 12:21 PM
P51C
2nd Gear Member

I wouldn't but, that's because I do my own work, pretty much. I teach auto shop so, I have some ability. Generally, people don't get their money's worth out of these things but, if you think it'll give you peace of mind...and you are planning on keeping the car for a good long while.....

I generally think warranties are a sales tool, not a service tool. The idea is to make you feel good about the thing you are buying so you'll open your wallet because of the illusion of some security. That said, I've had Ford rebuilt my transmission, replace a rear shock, end links and 2 GPS antennas under their 3 year new vehicle warranty, plus I put the Procal tune on it because of its stellar warranty support and the fact it was enough for me.
Old 04-26-2014, 12:56 PM
Cristoff
2nd Gear Member

The main problem that most people run into is that these programs really only pay off if you keep the car and milk the program for every penny that you can.

Based on the pricing, the Maintenance program is a pretty good deal. The BMW program that we sell is that much and covers the same items. The warranty is also a decent deal, but not spectacular.

Dealerships don't make a ton of profit on Maintenance programs. What you are really doing is paying up front for your scheduled maintenance. It works out well, because you are paying today's costs and in CA, it's not a taxable item.

The benefit to the dealership is that it makes sure that you come to them for service. That way, you are more apt to buy from them again if you are happy with the service drive. It just drives customer loyalty.

I hope that sheds some light on it. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask!
Old 04-26-2014, 01:57 PM
HRDWRK
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the comments.
I was reading the recommended services in owners manual. Some of the services such as spark plugs and transmission fluid change (for manual) is not recommended until 100,000 to 150,000 miles. I couldn't see what is the recommendation for cooling system, breaks and power steering flush is and how much they cost. I am a hands on person as well therefore I am not sure if this service plan works for me or not. From the other hand, I am leaning toward the 7 years warranty but I want to ask people (since this model year has been out for a while now) how the reliability of this car has been?
Old 04-26-2014, 02:23 PM
Cristoff
2nd Gear Member

I've had 2 warranty issues in the 2 years that I have owned it - both very minor.

1. The Pony projectors on the side mirrors got water intrusion and made the pony all funky looking.

2. I just had the rear view mirror replaced because it started "vibrating" and making an annoying humming noise. The dealership broke my windshield trying to get it off so I also had my windshield replaced.

mechanically, I have had no issues at all in 2 years and just over 15,000 miles.
Old 04-26-2014, 11:14 PM
dominant1
3rd Gear Member

Keep that $2500 for your 1st mods, ...you wont need that warranty with these cars they are pretty solid and reliable.
Old 04-26-2014, 11:30 PM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

If you're hands on, don't get it.
They have the 30k mile warranty anyway.
Old 04-27-2014, 07:10 AM
Black Fire
1st Gear Member

Just flipped 46K miles on my `12 and never been back to the dealer for anything.
Old 04-27-2014, 03:45 PM
Ranzo
1st Gear Member

I just sent a letter to cancel my extended warranty and I only just signed up for it 3 weeks ago. If I decide to buy it will be through flood ford as they're cheaper and you can do it all online.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:33 PM
flash gordon
2nd Gear Member

There are two answers to your two-part question.

1. My 2012 GT is not a daily driver. After 2 1/2 years, I only have 5K miles. Due to my limited yearly mileage I went online and bought an additional Ford 4 year warranty for less than $700. You have plenty of time to think about it before your current warranty runs out! But again, I would shop for Ford warranty online at a much cheaper price. The extended warranties are sold by Ford dealers with Ford plans. I think there are 3 different plans available.

2. As for Maintenance Plan, this is really a personal choice. I think it covers the usual fluids and filters which are relative cheap to do either by yourself or at a dealer. I don't think any maintenance plans covers wear and tear of mechanical parts such as brakes, belts and hoses. So in conclusion, it would be cheaper for you NOT to purchase any maintenance plans. Just either do it yourself or take it to the dealer for fluids and filter replacements.

Hope this helps you to decide. Besides, the salesman is pressuring you by saying to give them an answer within a week. It's just a sales gimmick so he can pocket his commission on the deal!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pulled the trigger and now few questions