MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (http://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   5.0L V8 Technical Discussions (http://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-v8-technical-discussions-137/)
-   -   Confusion aboout fuel recommendation (http://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-v8-technical-discussions/709302-confusion-aboout-fuel-recommendation.html)

HRDWRK 04-26-2014 05:51 AM

Confusion aboout fuel recommendation
 
Hello:

Based on what I have read here and in auto magazines test drive on 5.0 engine, and based on what I was told at the dealer, premium fuel is recommended for these engines but when I read my 2014 owners manual it has written on page 161 (Octane recommendation) that 87 octane is recommended for these engine except for "sever conditions such as towing"!!
So, what is recommended , what you guys use, for daily driving?!
Sorry but I an a newbie here. I have been trying to read as much as I can. This is the first mustang and to that fact, this is the first Ford!
Sorry about my title typo "aboout"!!. Too much coffee at 4 am!! jumpy fingers while typing!!

scottmach 04-26-2014 05:57 AM

You can use 87 or 93 octane and everything in between.

jz78817 04-26-2014 07:42 AM

the engine will run fine on 87 for normal driving but may not make rated power if the PCM has to pull back ignition timing.

I run 93 and don't worry about it. it's like 20 cents more per gallon, BFD.

Quote:

Sorry about my title typo "aboout"!!. Too much coffee at 4 am!! jumpy fingers while typing!!
Oh, I thought you were Canadian.

HRDWRK 04-26-2014 08:45 AM

I don't mind the extra cost of the premium ( after all we bought a 5.0 to enjoy it) but if the stock car doesn't need it, why waste the money!
It is just very strange that a manufacturer make the car with certain performance specifications and then recommends a fuel which doesn't support the delivery of that performance. It has not even mentioning anything like "premium fuel is recommend but you can use 87 which may affect the performance of the car", or something like that.

Goldenpony 04-26-2014 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jz78817 (Post 8380861)
the engine will run fine on 87 for normal driving but may not make rated power if the PCM has to pull back ignition timing.

I run 93 and don't worry about it. it's like 20 cents more per gallon, BFD.



Oh, I thought you were Canadian.

^LOL!

dominant1 04-26-2014 11:22 PM

87 octane robs you of 10 hp, use 93....

MustangVixenGT 04-27-2014 01:31 AM

I run 93 but I have had my car tuned for 93....

audioAl 04-27-2014 02:22 AM

The 3.7 & 5.0 both have DOHC w/ adjustable timing, the copperhead ecu can tell 87 or 93 octane and will perform accordingly.

HRDWRK 04-27-2014 01:24 PM

Just out of curiosity, has there been a dyno with 87 versus 91 (or 93) octane fuel somewhere? What would be the affect on torque?

MustangVixenGT 04-28-2014 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HRDWRK (Post 8381270)
Just out of curiosity, has there been a dyno with 87 versus 91 (or 93) octane fuel somewhere? What would be the affect on torque?

Uh I am sure there is someplace........

I am not sure you will see much difference in daily driving really. To really see a benefit from 93/87 you would have to get the car tuned for that fuel type.

Chromeshadow 04-28-2014 05:27 PM

I think it was R&T that did a dyno run on the 3.7 and got 7 more hp on 93 than on 87. I've run several tanks of both on mine and did not feel any difference or see any difference in mileage. I usually run the mid grade gas on both the 3.7 Mustang and the 5.0 F150.

Callinectes 04-29-2014 09:33 PM

I fill up once a week. I figure the 93 costs me $3.20 a tank over 87. I understand that the 87 actually burns hotter. More heat=more wear and tear. For me, it's worth $12.80 a month.

The Sheriff 04-30-2014 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Callinectes (Post 8382458)
I understand that the 87 actually burns hotter.

That's very interesting & good to know. Where did you get this information?

Mishri 04-30-2014 09:51 AM

There were some reports of people who once they put 87 in, it would never go advance the timing again for higher octane gas (This was with 2011, 2012, I don't know if they fixed it). Luckily I've only ever put 91 in (93 isn't available here, we have 85.5, 88, and 91)

BrazenStang 05-02-2014 09:25 AM

If you went to the doctor and he/she "recommended" that you stop eating fast food and eat healthy, would you listen? Ford engineers recommend premium fuel for a reason because it is better for a high performance engine.

Personally, I choose to follow my doctor's recommendations and I also follow the fuel recommendations for my car. Its your choice, but in the end they are the experts. Is it worth the few dollars per fill-up to skimp on gasoline?

Troponin 05-02-2014 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mishri (Post 8382608)
There were some reports of people who once they put 87 in, it would never go advance the timing again for higher octane gas (This was with 2011, 2012, I don't know if they fixed it). Luckily I've only ever put 91 in (93 isn't available here, we have 85.5, 88, and 91)

Most dealerships will put 87 in cars if they can get away with it, so don't bet on it never having 87 put in it. I think the GT500 is the only car they actually fill up with premium.

HRDWRK 05-02-2014 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrazenStang (Post 8383615)
If you went to the doctor and he/she "recommended" that you stop eating fast food and eat healthy, would you listen? Ford engineers recommend premium fuel for a reason because it is better for a high performance engine.

Personally, I choose to follow my doctor's recommendations and I also follow the fuel recommendations for my car. Its your choice, but in the end they are the experts. Is it worth the few dollars per fill-up to skimp on gasoline?

Ford is recommending 87 in their manual for 5.0 engine! That was the cause of confusion.

AJ06GT 05-02-2014 02:20 PM

That's because the cars are tuned for 87. 87 will have absolutely no adverse effect on your engine. Traditionally changing your octane does absolutely nothing for performance or gas mileage, but with as complex as engines are getting and automatically adjusting, I've heard it rumored that the Coyote engines can actually get a gain from 93, even without a tune, but I've yet to see any official source confirm this. A dyno run can easily fluctuate a few HP between each run, so that's not really the best indication either since you're going to be talking a very small difference without a real tune. I'd have to see some kind of hard evidence to prove that 93 actually does give you a power boost to believe it though. It is a difference of less than $3 a tank though if you do want to run it, but I highly doubt you'd notice a difference if you just used 87.

Troponin 05-02-2014 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJ06GT (Post 8383733)
That's because the cars are tuned for 87. 87 will have absolutely no adverse effect on your engine. Traditionally changing your octane does absolutely nothing for performance or gas mileage, but with as complex as engines are getting and automatically adjusting, I've heard it rumored that the Coyote engines can actually get a gain from 93, even without a tune, but I've yet to see any official source confirm this. A dyno run can easily fluctuate a few HP between each run, so that's not really the best indication either since you're going to be talking a very small difference without a real tune. I'd have to see some kind of hard evidence to prove that 93 actually does give you a power boost to believe it though. It is a difference of less than $3 a tank though if you do want to run it, but I highly doubt you'd notice a difference if you just used 87.

I am pretty sure it's in the Ford owner's manual, but even on the Ford website, all off their hp claims are with premium. So yes, Ford has confirmed the car will adjust the timing to run regular in it safely, but performs best with premium.

http://www.ford.com/cars/mustang/specifications/engine/

AJ06GT 05-03-2014 02:58 AM

Oh, well then yeah, so with premium it's going to tune up. I'd always heard people talk about it but no one had ever posted a link like that before. I'd probably pay the extra $3 or so a tank, but the difference is probably barely noticeable. You'd still want a specific 93 tune to really get everything out of it otherwise paying for just 87 will still be fine which is why the manual states that.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:42 AM.