Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Clunk (noise) when shifting gears

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 07:29 PM
HRDWRK
1st Gear Member

Default Clunk (noise) when shifting gears

Hi there:
This is my first Mustang and I need to check few things as I go. Today I noticed when I changed gears from 1 to 2 and 2 to 3 specifically and mainly at low speed (like when go through one stop sign to another), I hear some noise or clunks mainly toward the rear of the car (and passenger side). I have felt this noise before but I thought I am just getting used to the car and the clutch but today, it was more than what I would consider normal. I just want to know if this is a known problem or known characteristic of this cars/tranny. Is it normal, linkage, rear gears or ...? take it to the dealer? I only have 500 miles on the car.
Thanks for the info,
Old 05-12-2014, 09:53 AM
chub46
2nd Gear Member

The clunk you hear is normal for the mustangs. While shifting, do not take your foot completely off the gas, instead try matching your rpms with your speed. This will reduce the amount of clunk you get. This will take some practice to get it right.
Old 05-12-2014, 10:15 AM
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

normal 100%
the manuals do this..i couldn't live with it being mega fussy..went over to auto and problem solved
Old 05-12-2014, 10:38 AM
HRDWRK
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the responses.
I just noticed this morning that the car was not making the noise when it was cold. As the car got to operating temperature I noticed it again. It is only when you are going slow speed in stop and go otherwise if you are shift while you are taking off and speeding up, you don't feel/hear it!
I have been driving manual since I got driver license which was 30 years ago (boy, time flies!!) and I am familial with clunks and fussy clutches but this remind me of my wife's car auto tranny when my they low in fluid or when rear gears have too much back slash or something. I know every car (manufacturer) is different and as I mentioned this is the first Mustang for me. I just wanted to double check. This car is replacing a V8, manual 6 speed BMW (E39).
I am just wondering if different tranny or gear lube can be used since it seems it gets worse with temperature?!
Old 05-25-2014, 11:44 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

I know it's two weeks later, but if it's of any help now, the way to avoid the "clunk," which is a result of a bit of jolt in the drive train, is to ride the clutch some.

I attribute this mostly to the difference in gear ratio percentage change between 1-2 and 2-3.
The clunk is even more pronounced with 3.55:1 rear gears and even more so in 3.73:1 rear gear options. With 3.73:1 rear gears, your first gear is only useable for a split second and then you have to shift. IMO, 3.73:1 rear gears render 1st gear unusable for DD. You might as well just start off in 2nd gear.

Hopefully, Ford will address the differing gear ratio change percentages with subsequent transmissions designs so that you don't have to sacrifice your clutch life to avoid those "clunks."
Old 05-28-2014, 08:18 PM
HRDWRK
1st Gear Member

I appreciate the response even after two weeks.
I may have not describe the sound well. It really feels/sounds like the linkage. I come from a E39 540i 6 speed manual. I still have that car. The tranny in that car doesn't make a sound when you change/work the gears. Yes, both car make that jolt (clunk) when you take off quickly or down shift but the Mustang is making all these noises between the few fist gear change at the low speed. I not trying to put the car down but it feels and sound like a 10 years old car with loose bushings/guibo,worn out tranny linkage or ???!!! The only thing make me believe these sounds could be normal is the fact that I don't hear them when I wok the tranny at the higher RPM which of course I have not done it much since the car has only 600 miles on it.
By the way, the E39 is 14 years old!
Old 05-28-2014, 09:48 PM
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

manual mustangs do this..the drive train and gearbox is ancient design..both my manual low milage mustangs clunked like hell..it drove me crazy..now i got an auto the problem has gone.
if you think a mustang will be as smooth as a bmw then your gonna be dissapointed dude
Old 05-29-2014, 08:05 AM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

Reading through your post. BOTH 'clunks' that have been described are completely normal, and have been normal for 50 years on the mustang. Turn the radio up or get some pipes to drown it out if it bothers you that much. Making comparisons to your Bimmer will only make you disappointed in this car.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:16 AM
P51C
2nd Gear Member

Well, the drivetrain is not an "ancient design". The gearbox in the BMW his longer lineage than this MT82, even though they are somewhat related. The 5.0 and the MT82 are relatively new players on the block. The iron bar bell out back, not so much.

This car does take some practice to get right. I find leading the gas pedal a bit before full clutch grab helps, a does revving the motor up a little bit instead of trying to trundle it like an Oldsmobile.

Also, if there are any noises from the rear of an S197, check the sway bar ends links. They are a known failure mode since 2005 and Ford will replace them under the warranty. Mine didn't last much more than 15,000 miles before they had to go. There are multiple aftermarket solutions to this issue as well.
Old 05-29-2014, 08:41 PM
HRDWRK
1st Gear Member

Thanks.
I am not really comparing the two cars. They are totally different. I have been actually pleasantly surprised by the Mustang for its cost and value. I just want to be sure this is not something which needs attention. I am still learning, getting use to, the Mustang since I just only have 680 miles on it.
Thanks for the assurance.

Quick Reply: Clunk (noise) when shifting gears