Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Clunk (noise) when shifting gears

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 10:23 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

I need to also add that there are too many parts between the engine and transmission that flex too much for the 400+BHP our Mustangs produce. Mustangs are not true performance vehicles coming from the factory bone stock (unless you buy a Boss, GT500, or other higher end trim). Our cars are really only very powerful daily drivers.

Ford sacrificed a lot of performance characteristics for the sake of being as smooth and comfortable as possible. IMO, Ford went too far with the "daily driving" dogma and seriously hobbled what the Mustang could be. And sadly, I would say this dogma also hurt the Boss when it comes to the handling department. The Boss has so much more potential and I am disappointed that plain 'ole GTs are are being modded suspension-wise to out-handle Bosses for thousands less.

In our Mustangs, too many of the bushings, mounts, etc, are just too damn soft and flex too much. That is clear in the Coyote Mustangs equipped with the MT82 transmissions. When you step on it, too much of the drive train flexes and twists completely out of position making for impossible shifts because the linkages, the engine, and the transmission are completely out of alignment.
Even in just plain DD, shifting clunks become pronounced even under moderate throttle applications.

Fortunately, you can address all of these shifting woes. Buying a better shifter helps the shifting alignment a lot. And Whiteline has an elastomer insert made specifically for the MT82 to greatly reduce engine-to-transmission alignment during hard throttle applications.

http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-t...ive-shift-kit/

Last edited by JIM5.0; 05-31-2014 at 10:26 AM.
Old 09-21-2014, 07:21 PM
Vinstang2014

I too have struggled getting use to the shifting in my new mustang, especially at low speeds! I found rev matching does help, but it shouldn't be necessary on a car this modern. I now have 1000k on my new mustang, I love the car, but the clunky, jerking, shifting is starting to leave a sour taste in my mouth. Any tips on daily driver shifting would be appreciated....I suppose I will get use to it eventually.

2014 - GT- BREMBO - 3.73 - ELECTRONIC PKG - STRIP PKG
Old 09-22-2014, 11:31 AM
chub46
2nd Gear Member

Try rev matching and shifting sooner. When I am in traffic, I'm in 4th gear by 22mph. It takes practice but you can get it to where it is manageable. I'm in traffic every day going to and from work and I barely notice the clunks anymore.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:45 PM
Cobrakev
3rd Gear Member

Just get a one piece driveshaft. No more clunk..
Old 09-24-2014, 06:04 AM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Vinstang2014
I too have struggled getting use to the shifting in my new mustang, especially at low speeds! I found rev matching does help, but it shouldn't be necessary on a car this modern. I now have 1000k on my new mustang, I love the car, but the clunky, jerking, shifting is starting to leave a sour taste in my mouth. Any tips on daily driver shifting would be appreciated....I suppose I will get use to it eventually.

2014 - GT- BREMBO - 3.73 - ELECTRONIC PKG - STRIP PKG
This is a manual gearbox, not a twin-clutch or some other fancy automatic transmission. It takes skill and practice to drive. Even though the clutch is hydraulic you still need to have a steady release to engage the engine and trans. Use the skinny pedal too for rev matching. Just because some car companies have this as a feature on their cars does not mean that every manual car should or will have it. Be a driver. I DD my car also, and when I want to I can drive it like an auto trans. It takes practice and a bit of work to get everything to mesh like it should.
Old 10-22-2014, 12:07 PM
colindate

Default Thanks, this helps TONS!

Hey guys - I'm very late coming into this thread, but I just found it. Here's why:I purchased a brand new 2014 GT with a 6-speed manual, 3.55 gears. I have noticed that clunk from time to time too, exactly as HRDWRK describes. At those lower speeds, only in 1st or 2nd, and only when the car is warmed up.
I just started searching for answers on the forums, and came across this thread. Totally helps out, thank you. I too went from driving a manual shift BMW (3 Series) and experienced nothing but silky smooth shifts, never any clunks. Now that I know this is completely normal for the GTs, you've put my mind to rest. Appreciate all the good comments from you guys.
Old 04-21-2015, 04:32 AM
wbeard

Same issue. My GT 2 weeks old and I'm experiencing the clunk between 1st and 2nd gear at low RPM. This may be common problem with Mustangs but in no way is it normal and as long as we accept it as normal there will be no resolution. Just my two cents
Old 04-21-2015, 04:39 AM
wbeard

Same issue. My GT 2 weeks old and I'm experiencing the clunk between 1st and 2nd gear at low RPM. This may be common problem with Mustangs but in no way is it normal and as long as we accept it as normal there will be no resolution. Just my two cents
Old 04-21-2015, 04:42 AM
wbeard

If this is normal behavior I expect the 2015's to have same clunk or I will feel cheated. Ok I'm done
Old 04-22-2015, 08:14 AM
P51C
2nd Gear Member

The driveline does not suffer folks gladly, true but most of this us technique. Clinks, etc occur when people fumble the clutch uptake or rev matching or shift timing.

A quick improvement is to drive the car turbo style. By that I mean leading the clutch release slightly with the throttle. As opposed to full off throttle, on throttle at each shift. I used this technique on turbo cars to keep the turbo spinning so it didn't have to spool up after each shift.

Quick Reply: Clunk (noise) when shifting gears